Home Match Day Thread 12/08/2023 L1: OUFC v Carlisle

Who’s it MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
McEachran is a very talented passer of a football , far better than ( say) Herbie Kane. Is he going to be robust enough to play more than
30 games though this season, he’s going to be key?

Negru should be starting from now on, I love a no messing centre back. O’D tough and effective at end, v. pleasing cameo.

Carlisle look like bottom 6 outfit on that showing, naive in second half.
Agree on that point r.e fitness etc, I do feel McEachran is underrated. He was excellent today and is really good in the tackle. He sniffs out danger and is always composed. Not sure the criticism some have given is justified. Some of the passes he threaded were sublime.

Brannagan, showed glimpses of his best but something just isn’t right at the moment, maybe his heads been turned, if so not a problem but just make the move elsewhere! He is not playing at the standard of yesteryear. He also was not happy to be taken off free kick duty, can see him moving this week.

Negru, brilliant, Moore again today brilliant, not sure again why someone the other day was saying he was poor.

Rodrigues will be excellent for us you can just see his talent.

Weak links elsewhere: Bodin, technically great but slow, both full backs, give their all but too slow I feel….

Keeper, Jury’s out but his distribution was very good. His job is to save goals though so will wait to comment.

And finally, I wish we would just shoot on sight a little bit more at times, Harris / Browne / Bodin could all have had one fly in….

Happy with the win but there’s work to be done ✅

I can see the logic in the goal kick routine as Beadle's kicking looks to be very good. Dead straight and a good distance, and that routine encourages the opposition to get right up the pitch, only for him to then bypass them and get it straight into the striker.

I thought Harris showed some nice touches up there as well as a few moments where he just needed to hit it. But I do think a big, strong centre forward would be such a good outlet for those kicks from Beadle. Not just hit and hope hoofs to his head, but dropped into an area where someone can get their back into their defender and bring the ball down, with the opposition then completely strung out and an opportunity to get a quick attack moving.

Having now watched it back, the finish from Harris was indeed a "clever" little finish, so well done to him!

Still not convinced the ball from Goodrham was intentional, but it was a very good (albeit hopeful) blind dink over the top for Harris to run onto, so well done Tyler. Should've scored himself with the chance he had later though!

I think you're missing the point re Tyler's flick.

I'd guess that it's a well-drilled tactic when you have a pacy front line - regardless of who's flicking and who's running.

Haven't read all the replies properly but I thought that was a decent enough performance in the end. That being said the first 25 minutes or so were really poor, I'm more understanding than a lot of fans regarding just keeping the ball but we took it to the extreme early on, in plenty of cases not even looking for a forwards pass. I understand the theory of the goal kicks but there needs to be a plan on the pitch what we're going to do, a couple of times we clearly had no idea, nearly played ourselves into the s**t and just launched it anyway and it game back.

After that spell I thought we got a grip on the game and kept a pretty poor team at arm's length, it seemed to be the Manning plan of having control of the game. They didn't even get into any dangerous positions whereas several times we were a bad pass or poor decision away. That ball from Rodrigues to Mills was atrocious and Harris should have shot a couple of times. I was concerned about his goalscoring record when he came and the occasions in both halves where he went through clear of the last defender and didn't even get a shot away back that up but I also caught his interview after where he recognised this, hopefully he does follow through on this and become more greedy. Would still like a more fox in the box striker, there were a few times when Browne got into good positions but Harris was in no position to receive the cross meaning we checked back and while it looks bad on Browne Harris needs to be better in his movement.

After the dodgy spell I think we saw more of what I was hoping McEachran will be. Once he started playing forwards more he played plenty of tight passes that not many players at this level can make, even towards the end of the game he drilled one from just outside our own box to the halfway line almost along the floor to find a man, we don't have anyone else who could or would do that and it was also pleasing to see him get through the whole game, although he did look like he was blowing for the last 20 at least.

I thought the 3 behind Harris all showed good moments. Browne had his man on toast but his final ball let him down, although often there wasn't much to hit. Rodrigues showed nice flashes and Bodin as ever was involved going forwards, he is treated as a bit of an afterthought a lot of the time on here but he will get plenty of goals and assists if he plays regularly.

Surprised to see such praise for Long who was awful first half who got done defensively and have the ball away several times going forwards that put us in the crap. He improved second half but I can't understand how he's near the top of the voting for man of the match. Moore and Negru were both very good and I feel much more comfortable with Beadle in goal.

I should think we'll have a couple of much tougher tests in the next 7 days but that was a step in the right direction.

As ever, interesting range of views:-

Negru - slotted in very well. No messing. Looks a real player to me.

Marcus Browne - had the beating of his man. Was a great outlet for us, if he had the final pass then he wouldn’t play for us.

Long - seems to split opinion today. Can’t doubt his desire to be involved but still clumsy at times. In the space of about 2 mins in first half he drastically over hit a cross then followed that up with an under hit pass. We definitely need at least 1 genuine attacking full back but that debated been done to death.

Gatlin - not sure I’ve seen a player so effectively hold the ball by the corner flag, fantastic cameo. It’s probably a skill that will be needed even more this season with the likely 8+ added minutes we’re going to see each week.

It’s nice to see a team with a distinctive shape and pattern of play. Put a proper attacking full back, another centre forward, maybe a flying winger ( I think Mills will do well) then Ibthink we’ll be well on track..

I came away from today with a bit of hope

In what was a much better overall team performance, he was absolutely dreadful in the first half. As in, 3 or 4 absolute head-in-hands moments. I wondered whether Manning would take him off at h/t.

Thankfully, as the team around him started to improve, so did he. And in the second half he started to look capable. But make no mistake he’s a poor full back for this level and we will have to carry him at times. I’ve come to accept he’s going to be playing for us as we have another option and other priorities for the window. But that stat summary does nothing to reassure me we’re in safe hands because there’s a lot more recent evidence to the contrary.

Browne actually did a brilliant job on that side with him and tore his head off early in the game once or twice so maybe that’s a relationship that can build from today.

In what was a much better overall team performance, he was absolutely dreadful in the first half. As in, 3 or 4 absolute head-in-hands moments. I wondered whether Manning would take him off at h/t.

Thankfully, as the team around him started to improve, so did he. And in the second half he started to look capable. But make no mistake he’s a poor full back for this level and we will have to carry him at times. I’ve come to accept he’s going to be playing for us and that’s fine. But that stat summary does nothing to reassure me we’re in safe hands because there’s a lot more recent evidence to the contrary.

Browne actually did a brilliant job on that side with him and tore his head off early in the game once or twice so maybe that’s a relationship that can build from today.
I generally like Long but thought he had an absolute mare in the first half. But he kept going and improved, and having a mare in one game doesn’t mean you’re a rubbish player.

I thought Browne was better, more direct and involved, on the right. He and Bodin put in a number of balls that Matty of a couple of years ago would have loved. We need to get someone like that in, because this team will definitely create chances.

At half time I was thinking 'nothings changed' but although the was a lot of waste in the second half some of the passing was back to what we saw v QPR, we need a bit more composure in front of goal and better decision making, we still try a pass instead of a shot too often, great finish from Harris although it took forever and a day to cross the line.

Negru really good at centre back, if he hadn't been injured at Vale I think he'd have seen last season out as first choice.

This taking short pass goalkicks may turn out to be the way forward but it makes me very nervous at the moment, maybe I'll get used to it.

Left the ground with a feeling of relief more than anything else, but the nerves will be back on Tuesday, would love a win there

I think you're missing the point re Tyler's flick.

I'd guess that it's a well-drilled tactic when you have a pacy front line - regardless of who's flicking and who's running.
I get that, as soon as the ball was heading to Tyler, Harris would've started his run, and Tyler would've known to send the first time ball over the top for him to run onto, and for that, they both did very well.

But my point was in response to a suggestion that it was some sort of genius pass, and that Tyler had picked Harris out, and put it on a sixpence for him, when in fact it was simply a very well timed, albeit slightly hopeful dink over the top for him to run onto, that actually ended up working out perfectly!

But don't get me wrong, it's nothing against Tyler, if De Bruyne had done the same, I'd be saying exactly the same thing

• React
Reactions: m
Surprised to see such praise for Long who was awful first half who got done defensively and have the ball away several times going forwards that put us in the crap. He improved second half but I can't understand how he's near the top of the voting for man of the match.

Firstly, he's got about 4% of the vote so I wouldn't worry too much about him winning the forum MOM award!

Secondly, both by the statistics provided, and the observations of several posters, Sam Long had a decent game. A couple of mistakes early on, but he was hardly alone in that. But generally defensively solid and offered much more of an outlet going forward.

Not outstanding, but a solid performance that doesn't warrant some of the criticism that some want to aim at him.

I thought once we settled there were clear elements that are indicative of a Manning team that started to come to the fore.

Baiting the opposition is standard for Manning, looking at goal kicks at MK there were plenty played short to Darling, or hit long. Not tough to see that you bait the opposition into a press then hit over them - fewer players contesting the first and second contact. Will give our fans a heart attack and will most probably lead to us conceding a few times, but Manning seems pragmatic enough to ditch it (like in the first half when Beadle was stupidly booed).

McEachran was nice on the ball and broke the lines getting the ball into the front 3/4. He contributes defensively and has good quality from deep, obvious concern over his fitness and his ability to go Saturday/Tuesday but though he ran the midfield as the match progressed.

Loved the running of Harris, even after taking up good positions and making the wrong decisions, he still continued to make the runs - allowed Goodrham to play the blind pass as he knew Harris would be on the move. He will be a problem for many defences this season (he is decent at holding the ball up also). My one worry is how he will fare vs a low block where there isn't the space in behind.

Couldn't stop watching Rodrigues. Look forward to him striking up a partnership with the front line. A few moments where they were on a different wavelength, but is always looking to play through balls and offers a threat when on the ball. He also put a shift on off the ball, presses out of possession and doesn't appear to throw a tantrum if not involved in play.

Thought overall there were some good moments when we played with tempo and didn't just shuffle the ball across the back 5 taking 4+ touches each time. Add a striker and LB into the mix and I think we will be quite decent - just requires patience!

I generally like Long but thought he had an absolute mare in the first half. But he kept going and improved, and having a mare in one game doesn’t mean you’re a rubbish player.

I thought Browne was better, more direct and involved, on the right. He and Bodin put in a number of balls that Matty of a couple of years ago would have loved. We need to get someone like that in, because this team will definitely create chances.
I think a nightmare 12-18 months does. I think if we didn’t know him for being any better, he’d be getting pelters like Seddon. He gets a bit of a free pass for longevity and what he was - for one season - about 3 years ago. But they’ve had a similarly torrid time and while one is rightly trying to rescue a league one career, the other was rewarded with a 3 year contract. So we are where we are with him. The second half was progress.

Browne just needs to connect his brain with his legs. He’s an athlete, but gets brain fog around the box. On the right, his options are more limited which probably helps him. I’d stick with that for a few games after today.

Firstly, he's got about 4% of the vote so I wouldn't worry too much about him winning the forum MOM award!

Secondly, both by the statistics provided, and the observations of several posters, Sam Long had a decent game. A couple of mistakes early on, but he was hardly alone in that. But generally defensively solid and offered much more of an outlet going forward.

Not outstanding, but a solid performance that doesn't warrant some of the criticism that some want to aim at him.
As I said he improved second half but I'm stunned anyone could watch that game and think he was better than either centre back without even looking further forwards.

The trouble with statistics, and I like them myself, is they can make any point you want within reason. It says he made three interceptions, but that includes when he had a chance to find one of our players in the second half when he had plenty of time but the ball span off his forehead and went into touch. Is that a mistake or an interception? He won all his duels but that doesn't include the occasions in the first half, and I remember 3 at least, where he was caught horrendously out of position and had to be bailed out by Browne and Moore. Yes others made mistakes but that doesn't mean putting the ball into touch or misplacing a simple pass to a centre back causing a counter attack can just be waved away. If you're talking stats then Harris' xG wouldn't have been all that high despite going through on goal 3 times on the basis that he didn't shoot for a couple of them, you need context or else they're worthless.

I don't rate Long and think we need to improve but I'll also call it fairly where I see it. He was that off it in the first half that he should be nowhere near man on the match voting is all I'm saying. For every poster who'll slate a player regardless there are others who'll defend a player regardless, both are weird to me to be honest.

Last edited:

He has been already given the tag of the weakest link by some so he could play like Cafu in his prime and some will still say he has had a crap game.

Every season fans need someone to moan about, it’s Long this season.

The trouble is Sam does have a few of these games and mistakes have, and will be punished by far more clinical teams. He recovered well today but if he made the same errors against the likes of Barnsley and Derby then it could be game over in half hour. If he can remain switched on from the get-go then he usually has a strong game so hopefully he'll tighten up on Tuesday and build from there.

I bet that youth* who was about 4 rows in front of me, screaming "Don't you know where the f*****g goal is Harris, you t**t (points at goal) It's f*****g over there!" feels stupid now!

*He was actually late 40s/early 50s, but why try change the forum narrative that every crowd issue is caused by the youth of today?

Back
Top Bottom