Home Match Build Up 12/08/2023 L1: OUFC v Carlisle

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst it is of course very, very early days, I’d still like to see:

1) A reaction from the players. We’ve lost the first couple of games, the first one playing poorly and the second heavily. I want to see eleven men determined to get a good result, with no heads dropping.

2) A better performance. Of course we all want a win, but if we can’t get that through luck or whatever reason then can we at least move the ball quickly and be positive, more like our second half Cambridge performance?

3) Manning not to be stubborn and inflexible - if we’re playing 4-2-3-1 and playing poorly, can he change it up? Make a switch mid-game?

Let’s be honest we’re at home and not against a likely top side in the division - I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Simmo what a great player lovely man too. But it's time for us to turn up I loved the Fleetwood managers comment about bringing the fans along with you that's exactly what we need with 3 tough games to come. 3-1 COYY

We're already at a point where we need some defensive solidity and to stop conceding such stupid goals. We really need to play 3 at the back, but with no one to play wing back that could mean Long and Brown as wing backs at the moment that quickly becomes a 5 at the back. With the strikers already looking like the type can't hit a barn door, a 5 at the back means a 0-0, 4 at the back means we can only hope for a clean sheet to get a point. And a lucky goal for us gets all 3, the goal is probably going to have to be a worldie because we sure don't look capable of scoring an easy goal or a tap in.

Surely when Manning was interviewed for the job all he could present was his prior success playing in a 352 formation before the wheels came off at MK when all the players were sold. Coming to an Oxford side that was forever losing and heading for relegation playing 433 it seemed obvious that this change would seem attractive and would naturally be made when he brought his own players in to do it. For now we just have to stop conceding goals and a 3 or 5 at the back is the only way to do this and this needs to start against Carlisle with Negru part of the 3. It might not be pretty though.

Think we'll lose. We tend to struggle against newly promoted teams. 0-1

A week ago I was thinking we'd begin our home games with a handsome win, now I'm more worried about scraping a point from this one, especially after Wednesdays capitulation.

Still I've put us to win, I hope to god we do coz I don't think I can live through another season like last year where I didn't enjoy many games at all.

2 nil

Just going to confess something.

Our bad luck over the last couple of seasons has been 100% down to my wearing of the EB charging shirt on match days (I don't like it much but too cheap to buy a new one). Proof in that I wore it against Cambridge and Brizzle City.

So tomorrow I'm going to fork out for the new shirt, which I quite like the look of.

Our luck will be turned around, guaranteeing the win with absolutely certainty.

Heard it here first.

So sorry Robbo, I take full responsibility for your sacking.

0-0. I’d love to say a win but you have to score a goal for that, and for that you need to get out of your half which we can’t do with any regularity.

Carlisle will take a draw from this all day and try and pinch it which is everything we dread. Expect us to play better but another tough day at the office.

For now we just have to stop conceding goals and a 3 or 5 at the back is the only way to do this

Why is changing formation the ONLY way to stop goals being conceded?

Is Stevens, Long, Moore, Thorniley, Brown any stronger than a flat 4?

Or Long, Moore, Brown, Thorniley, Stevens?

I'd much rather we stick to the formation that we've worked with all through the summer, but just play better as individuals and a team.

Whilst it is of course very, very early days, I’d still like to see:

1) A reaction from the players. We’ve lost the first couple of games, the first one playing poorly and the second heavily. I want to see eleven men determined to get a good result, with no heads dropping.

2) A better performance. Of course we all want a win, but if we can’t get that through luck or whatever reason then can we at least move the ball quickly and be positive, more like our second half Cambridge performance?

3) Manning not to be stubborn and inflexible - if we’re playing 4-2-3-1 and playing poorly, can he change it up? Make a switch mid-game?

Let’s be honest we’re at home and not against a likely top side in the division - I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I hope we don't see Thorniley taking goalkicks and passing it to Beadle again. Trendy madness.

We're already at a point where we need some defensive solidity and to stop conceding such stupid goals. We really need to play 3 at the back, but with no one to play wing back that could mean Long and Brown as wing backs at the moment that quickly becomes a 5 at the back. With the strikers already looking like the type can't hit a barn door, a 5 at the back means a 0-0, 4 at the back means we can only hope for a clean sheet to get a point. And a lucky goal for us gets all 3, the goal is probably going to have to be a worldie because we sure don't look capable of scoring an easy goal or a tap in.

Surely when Manning was interviewed for the job all he could present was his prior success playing in a 352 formation before the wheels came off at MK when all the players were sold. Coming to an Oxford side that was forever losing and heading for relegation playing 433 it seemed obvious that this change would seem attractive and would naturally be made when he brought his own players in to do it. For now we just have to stop conceding goals and a 3 or 5 at the back is the only way to do this and this needs to start against Carlisle with Negru part of the 3. It might not be pretty though.
Out of curiosity how many times have you seen Negru play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom