Away Match Build Up 08/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 2nd Leg - Peterborough vs OUFC

Who Will Be Going To Wembley?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see Leigh given a more attacking role at some point in the game. He has looked very impressive when attacking and scored some good goals.

They’re all extremely confident on the PUFC forum, apart from a couple of lone voices they unanimously believe they’ll easily overcome the deficit. Just a formality.
Surely that’s our team talk done.
Post the comments on the wall, or perhaps Des could just release the brakes for this one-off game and absolutely smash them in the first 20 minutes. Get 1 or 2 early goals and silence the natives.

REF WATCH

F9BJTfnXcAAXxjL

Andrew Kitchen, 29, from Stanley, County Durham is Wednesday night’s match official at the Weston Homes stadium, Peterborough.
Kitchen was promoted to the EFL in the summer of 2021 and in the summer of 2023 was promoted to the PGMOL Select Group 2 which means
he frequently referees Championship fixtures. He refereed the Bolton v Barnsley 2023 play-off second leg.

In the regular 2023-24 season, Kitchen refereed 33 matches issuing 103 yellow cards and just three reds. His last U’s match was the away 1-1 draw with MK
Dons in February 2023. His last Peterborough match was the home 2-2 draw with Wycombe last October.

Any tickets going? Brannagan (aka long) shot I know!!

Last edited:
Can’t see it going to pens, we looked shattered after 90 mins on Saturday. Hope we catch them on the break and get a 2 goal cushion 🀞

MF-wise, we’ll look to hurt them by turning the ball over and getting it to Dale and Murphy as quickly as possible. That being the case, I think the most likely change (not saying it will happen) might be JM for Ruben.

Ruben is quality, but often seems to want an extra touch or two which will slow us down in transition. McEachran in front of the back four with Cam and Tyler in the 10 roles, maybe? With Cam maybe a little deeper?

As frustrating as he can sometimes be I’d stick with RR - take him out and I think we become a bit more predictable as well as removing an obvious goal threat. If everything is going our way then replace him with JM with 20-25 minutes to go.

It’s definitely a game we could win. An early goal for us would probably settle the nerves. What is certain it won’t be an easy game at their fortress with plenty of threats towards goal.
The biggest game for us for a long time. We have to make sure we get at them early on. I don’t know how Peterborough didn’t score in the second half. They certainly created enough chances to

I'd stick with the same starting 11, but there is more to think about in how to manage the game. If you're potentially going to play 120 minutes then you can't really have players running themselves into the ground after 60 minutes. Also if it goes to penalties then who do you want on the pitch at the end? Probably Harris. There's a case for having Henry on bench as well for that reason.

Then again if we can score first then it will be very difficult for Peterborough to find a way back. I'm glad it's Des and not me that has to figure all this stuff out.

MF-wise, we’ll look to hurt them by turning the ball over and getting it to Dale and Murphy as quickly as possible. That being the case, I think the most likely change (not saying it will happen) might be JM for Ruben.

Ruben is quality, but often seems to want an extra touch or two which will slow us down in transition. McEachran in front of the back four with Cam and Tyler in the 10 roles, maybe? With Cam maybe a little deeper?

It really is a bit of a coin flip. I think he may start with the same 11.

But it (JM for RR) would also improve our attacking options coming off the bench. (I like Bodin, hes been a good signing, but lately, coming off the bench, he often looks off the pace and gives the ball away too easily. (Henry also seems a more reliable option for me). Its such a tough one to call though because it all depends on the score after 60/70min...

Bench for Weds
Easty
Long
McGuane
Browne
Henry
Leigh
Rodrigues/McEachran

Last edited:
I'd stick with the same starting 11, but there is more to think about in how to manage the game. If you're potentially going to play 120 minutes then you can't really have players running themselves into the ground after 60 minutes. Also if it goes to penalties then who do you want on the pitch at the end? Probably Harris. There's a case for having Henry on bench as well for that reason.

Then again if we can score first then it will be very difficult for Peterborough to find a way back. I'm glad it's Des and not me that has to figure all this stuff out.

It’s going to be a tricky balance for Des to achieve, especially if the tie goes into extra time.

Our lack of pressing options on the bench could be crucial.

I think that we need to score first.
They are a young side and so if we were to score first, then psychologically they could struggle if they don't get a goal back quickly.
Agree with many, that if it was to go to ET, I wouldn't be that confident.
Maybe we do need to start with McEachran and leave Tyler or RR on the bench to liven things up later on? At the moment, we seem to run out of steam after an hour.
Alternatively we need to press in their half more irregularly, hitting them on the break ( they will be wary of pushing their wingers too far forward and being caught out by Murphy, Dale and Harris)

Interesting game coming up ( and teriffying!)

Any pubs in Ox that are showing this? It's also champions league night which I assume will get priority in the big chains..

It really is a bit of a coin flip. I think he may start with the same 11.

But it (JM for RR) would also improve our attacking options coming off the bench. (I like Bodin, hes been a good signing, but lately, coming off the bench, he often looks off the pace and gives the ball away too easily. (Henry also seems a more reliable option for me). Its such a tough one to call though because it all depends on the score after 60/70min...

Bench for Weds
Easty
Long
McGuane
Browne
Henry
Leigh
Rodrigues/McEachran

Ruben doesn't deserve a starting spot, one decent performance in 3 months from him. One for McEachran's experience as it appears we've seen the last of McGuane.

Who are our preferred penalty takers - obviously depends who is on the pitch at the end. But would assume you would want Branagan, Harris, Henry - no idea on other two.

Who are our preferred penalty takers - obviously depends who is on the pitch at the end. But would assume you would want Branagan, Harris, Henry - no idea on other two.
Good Q. We've only been involved in one shoot out in the last 2.5 years. It was that weird Milk Cup first round win over Swansea. Takers were Browne, Gorrin, McGuane, Spasov, Cam. McGinty made the match winning save. No idea what the line up would be now but have a strong hunch Ciaron Brown might have a great, net-breaking pen in his locker. Hopefully won't come to it mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom