General Yesteryear

ON THIS DAY

July 1st 2017

Darryl Eales appoints Josep Clotet Ruiz, 40 , on this day five years ago, as the club’s new manager after Michael Appleton left the U’s on June 20th.
Clotet’s disastrous reign was to last just 205 days with his contract being terminated on January 22th 2018.

DEDttUgXoAAdegg

giphy.gif

ON THIS DAY

August 14th 1982

On this day 40 years ago, the Football League Trophy (now the Papa Johns FLT) was born.

It replaced the previous pre-season Group Cup Trophy.

United lost 2-1 at Elm Park, to Maurice Evans’ Reading before an attendance of 1,601.

U’s: Burton: Linney, Briggs, Shotton, Grant - Brock, Train, Hebberd, Barnett - Biggins, Vinter
Subs used Thomas and Smithers.

Grandstand’s Frank Bough explains:

ON THIS DAY

August 14th 1982

On this day 40 years ago, the Football League Trophy (now the Papa Johns FLT) was born.

United lost 2-1 at Elm Park, to Maurice Evans’ Reading before an attendance of 1,601.

U’s: Burton: Linney, Briggs, Shotton, Grant - Brock, Train, Hebberd, Barnett - Biggins, Vinter

My first Oxford game.

ON THIS DAY

August 14th 1982

Did this become the Simon Cup/Zenith Data Systems Cup? I think we lost to Chelsea in the 2 legged regional final in the 80s. I thought the Pizza Trophy etc came out of the later Associate Members Cup/Trophy?

Did this become the Simon Cup/Zenith Data Systems Cup? I think we lost to Chelsea in the 2 legged regional final in the 80s. I thought the Pizza Trophy etc came out of the later Associate Members Cup/Trophy?
No, full members cup (simod Cup) was for top 2 divisions, associate members Cup for bottom 2 divisions. Started 85/6? The first was the one we played Chelsea in the semis, lasted a few seasons before ending (think Reading won it one season). Associate Members Cup became PJT.

Back
Top Bottom