General Will we reach the playoffs?

Will OUFC reach the playoffs this season?

• Yes

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No is my answer, but will be delighted to be proven wrong. I think the inability to sort the defence out during a 4 week period in January will come back to bite us. Like I say happy to be proven wrong.

Now I’ve said that we will go and win 5 in a row. Typical KR side lose a few, then go on and win a few.

77 points we need to be aiming for to achieve a play off spot I reckon.

I'm hoping the last couple of results are a wake up call to Karl, we certainly have the team to do it. Got to be positive!

I think from now until the end of the season our best formation would be 5-3-2 that way if things are going for us and we are holding out for a win we can shore up the defence but if we are chasing the game we could go more attacking and change to a 3-5-2 you'd also get kane and brannagan in their preferred position give Sykes free reign to do his stuff that formation would hopefully help Seddon out aswel give him some protection it would also give Taylor some help in attack

I still think we will make the play offs, but i just think we are still a 80% complete side and when we come up against a street wise side like Wycombe or Wigan we will come un done. 5 out of the last 6 games are a mini play off in it self. Without sounding like a broken record on Seddon i just cant see us getting promotion with him as first choice left back, we are way too exposed.

Second joint scorers, frailties at the back which will let us down.
Rotherham and Wigan, look set for the auto places, got a feeling MK Dons will win playoffs. Yes, i know we won there recently, but they look the strongest of the bunch in the top places at the moment.

I think we'll get playoffs in one of the bottom two playoff spots, and it will come down to the last game or two of the season. How we do in them depends entirely on who we face - Wednesday semis and MK Dons final I'd back us to win them, throw Wycombe into either game and my confidence dissipates.

The poor defensive performance and a general lack of physicality in the team means I don’t think we will make it, I hope to be proved wrong ,

My take on it is, if we don't find a system that stops us conceding goals the we will fall short. At this stage of the season its all about results, i'd happily take the Wycombe or Pompey anti football route if it meant we got enough points to make it. Playing the exciting gung ho football that we play at the moment ain't imo going to get us enough points. Now is the time of the season where we need to be solid and consistent. Not as confident as i was a few weeks ago. Sorry for the negative tone to my comments.
Karl if your reading this forum please make me eat my own words when we lift the play off trophy in May.

Or the first!

Probably. I only saw the highlights.

That said, for the first it looked as if Long was all isolated, nobody chasing back on the outside and nobody likely to get between the attacker and the goal on the inside, so he had to back off. Stevens was unsighted and saw it late. It wasn't great team defending at all.

The second was a goal we concede fairly regularly. Cross comes in and our back 4 are in a line, the midfield players are either chasing the cross or simply not marking. A weak clearance falls to an attacker who is around the edge of the box, unmarked and in space. The other defenders seems rooted and don't get out into the way of the shot and the midfielders are too far away to pressure the shooter. It's like nobody's been detailed to (or thought of) marking the player.

A few posters have described the third better than I can, but wasn't it a bit disappointing to see Moore running behind the striker, he didn't look like he was busting a gut to get in front of an obvious threat (apologies if he'd just sprinted from the other penalty area) to me.

That said, for the first it looked as if Long was all isolated, nobody chasing back on the outside and nobody likely to get between the attacker and the goal on the inside, so he had to back off. Stevens was unsighted and saw it late. It wasn't great team defending at all.

The second was a goal we concede fairly regularly. Cross comes in and our back 4 are in a line, the midfield players are either chasing the cross or simply not marking. A weak clearance falls to an attacker who is around the edge of the box, unmarked and in space. The other defenders seems rooted and don't get out into the way of the shot and the midfielders are too far away to pressure the shooter. It's like nobody's been detailed to (or thought of) marking the player.

A few posters have described the third better than I can, but wasn't it a bit disappointing to see Moore running behind the striker, he didn't look like he was busting a gut to get in front of an obvious threat (apologies if he'd just sprinted from the other penalty area) to me.
I've not watched it back but the first seemed far too easy. The third was annoying but perhaps forgiveable in that we were going for the winner. Really we should have won that game 2-1, there wasn't much between the sides.

And all sadly, predictable. Infuriating and preventable. The question is, why does this continue to happen? If we mere mortals can see it, why don't the footballing Gods in charge fix it?

Just watched the first again. Moore's doing OK, the player he's marking slows down so he can't go towards Long and the scorer. Long can't challenge because he's the last line and our midfielder coming back (who I suppose was out of position when the pass was played to the full-back / scorer) is making no effort to get pressure on to the full-back. It's a well-made goal from their point of view, and maybe they were trying for that overlap a few times? It's the mirror of goal 3 I think.

No. We didn't do quite enough in January, are absolutely shipping goals and losing form as the team's around us find theirs.

I predicted we would finish 10th-12th and I will stick by that.

No. We didn't do quite enough in January, are absolutely shipping goals and losing form as the team's around us find theirs.

I predicted we would finish 10th-12th and I will stick by that.
who are the 5 sides that will overtake us please?

we are 4 pts from 3rd spot but you don't think we're heading that way, yet we're 10 clear of 12th and you think that's the direction we are going in am i understanding you correctly?.

Why and where do teams sat mid table suddenly "All" find such wonderful form that they will need to not only catch us by remain above whilst we do zilch.

You made this mistake a few seasons back when you insisted we would go down, i pointed out then what a massive turnaround in form was needed from those below and the same applies here.

What Odds you offering Oxford Top 8 ?

Back
Top Bottom