What if playoffs cannot be played?

Whilst I have some sympathy for Tranmere, I think the decision that was taken was actually almost the only one that made sense.

The L1 clubs couldn't finish the season 'properly' - not enough time, too much Coronavirus about still. If they wanted to finish the season 'on the pitch' then the promotion playoffs was the way to do it - and even that looks as if it is touch and go as to whether it goes without a hitch (and that is just five games).

So should there have been a 'relegation' playoff? That would seem unfair on the clubs NOT in the relegation places TBH! And obviously it would be introducing a completely new element to the competition that was not there when the season started. S on balance I don't think that's a god idea.

I think the most important thing in the long term is that there are a set of rules in place, approved by the clubs, that can cater for such eventualities in the future. Hopefully we will never need them, but it is entirely possible that this autumn/winter will see another spike (if the shopping-itis doesn't cause one first).

All this talk of Championship football is a bit presumptuous, but we can all dream I guess.

What I would say however is to not underestimate Tiger’s ambition for the club. Whether he has access to the funds to match his ambition is another question.
He does if he keeps the real money men sweet.

Bingo.... Would imagine that at least some of the current incumbents will be hit far worse than we will be, so no reason to assume we wouldn't be up to surviving.... and if we did, then who is to say we couldn't maybe kick on into mid table from there?
Yes and could be quite a few points deductions to come due to stadium issues e.g. Sheff Wed.

Back
Top Bottom