General Will we reach the playoffs?

Will OUFC reach the playoffs this season?

• Yes

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just watched the first again. Moore's doing OK, the player he's marking slows down so he can't go towards Long and the scorer. Long can't challenge because he's the last line and our midfielder coming back (who I suppose was out of position when the pass was played to the full-back / scorer) is making no effort to get pressure on to the full-back. It's a well-made goal from their point of view, and maybe they were trying for that overlap a few times? It's the mirror of goal 3 I think.

I've been saying it a lot over the past month, but this here is the core of the problem for me.
Yes, we have some defensive issues at left back, but so many of our goals can be traced back to our midfield either not being in the right positions to defend, or not making the right decisions in terms of which runner to track or which player to challenge. And it's not because Kane/Cam/McGuane/Sykes etc. are bad players - of course it's not - but none of them are good defensive players, their skills and instincts are all about going forwards.
We have one midfielder in the squad that really understands the defensive side of the game - and he's unfortunately going to be rehabbing his knee until August.

And that's why my answer to the poll question is 'Maybe' (or at least it would be, if I could!)

Because going forwards, we're good enough for the automatic spots, no question.
But defensively? Forget clean sheets, that's now seven out of the last eight games where we've conceded at least two goals (and the one we didn't, against Wigan, we rode our luck). You just can't keep doing that and expect to get promoted.

I don't know exactly how you turn this around defensively given the personnel available......but it may have to be 3-5-2. Long, McNally & Moore would make up a natural back three, we know Seddon is a more natural LWB, and Forde & Williams can both play RWB more than adequately (and Sykes can probably do either at a push).
Course the irony then is that we'll end up playing without any wingers!

What’s wrong with 3 4 3? Seems not to have been even floated as an idea so far

Taylor
(Bodin/Holland) (Sykes/Whyte)
Seddon Brannigan McGuane Williams
McNally Moore Long
Stevens

I've been saying it a lot over the past month, but this here is the core of the problem for me.
Yes, we have some defensive issues at left back, but so many of our goals can be traced back to our midfield either not being in the right positions to defend, or not making the right decisions in terms of which runner to track or which player to challenge. And it's not because Kane/Cam/McGuane/Sykes etc. are bad players - of course it's not - but none of them are good defensive players, their skills and instincts are all about going forwards.
We have one midfielder in the squad that really understands the defensive side of the game - and he's unfortunately going to be rehabbing his knee until August.

And that's why my answer to the poll question is 'Maybe' (or at least it would be, if I could!)

Because going forwards, we're good enough for the automatic spots, no question.
But defensively? Forget clean sheets, that's now seven out of the last eight games where we've conceded at least two goals (and the one we didn't, against Wigan, we rode our luck). You just can't keep doing that and expect to get promoted.

I don't know exactly how you turn this around defensively given the personnel available......but it may have to be 3-5-2. Long, McNally & Moore would make up a natural back three, we know Seddon is a more natural LWB, and Forde & Williams can both play RWB more than adequately (and Sykes can probably do either at a push).
Course the irony then is that we'll end up playing without any wingers!

Agree with the essence of this but it wasnt that long ago we had the 3rd best defensive record in the league, the only thing thats
changed is that Thorniley has been replaced with Brown/McNally.

No reason to think that Brown will be a flop, i think/hope its just a case that KR needs to reset the midfield/defence and
get them back to basics in training for a day or two, no midweek game is a probably a good thing.

What’s wrong with 3 4 3? Seems not to have been even floated as an idea so far

Taylor
(Bodin/Holland) (Sykes/Whyte)
Seddon Brannigan McGuane Williams
McNally Moore Long
Stevens

I think it could work with Sykes & Bodin, but wouldn't work with Holland & Whyte (particularly Holland). To play that system, your wide forwards have to be comfortable roaming and playing centrally from time-to-time.

The key to playing 3-5-2 is that the wingbacks can bomb forward down the flanks with confidence, knowing that there's still a strong presence at the back.

But if Seddon/Williams are bombing forward and trying to play in the same space that Whyte/Holland are already occupying, it's going to create issues - and at the same time you're going to be outnumbered against almost any system in the middle of the park, which is where most games are won and lost.

Back
Top Bottom