National News UK Policing 🚔

In my life I have only known three servicing police officers, two I played football with. All three were arrogant and one was an out and out bully. Not represent sample I'd agree but it's always made me wonder whether these qualities were actively sort after as part of the recruitment process or became inbred as part of their training, or both, or neither and that I simply encountered outliers.

The ones I've known personally have been decent people and weren't arrogant in anyway. One was a Police firearms Officer and I don't think I've met a quieter bloke than him.

I suspect (but have nothing to back it up) that it attracts plenty of the arrogant type and some change to that based on what they face on a regular basis.

• React
Reactions: QR
It's a shocking case - and made even more so by the statement this morning from the Met Police that they are actively investigating 800 of their officers for domestic violence or sexual assault (I note they did not mention how many were being investigated for other forms of assault, corruption etc!).

There is something seriously wrong - whether that's the culture, the vetting process or something else, I don't know - and it needs to be sorted out ruthlessly. The vast majority of police (hopefully) in the Met are being tainted by these people and the public are losing confidence in those supposed to protect them.
Well as well as the people themselves it is those around them that turn a blind eye/cover up for them. In which other situation would someone face quite so many allegations and nothing happen. There are many more here who are enabling this by the culture of "protect your own". Indeed where officers have whistle-blown they have faced active repercussions from others - especially where officers involved have been in the golden circle of armed response or special protection services, they are pretty much untouchable until they can no longer cover it up (ie when one murders someone).

The Met PC Mark Rowley saying “We have some very worrying cases with officers who’ve committed criminality whilst police officers and yet I’m not allowed to sack them. It’s sort of, it’s crazy.” is just bonkers.

It's a shocking case - and made even more so by the statement this morning from the Met Police that they are actively investigating 800 of their officers for domestic violence or sexual assault (I note they did not mention how many were being investigated for other forms of assault, corruption etc!).

There is something seriously wrong - whether that's the culture, the vetting process or something else, I don't know - and it needs to be sorted out ruthlessly. The vast majority of police (hopefully) in the Met are being tainted by these people and the public are losing confidence in those supposed to protect them.
The Baroness Casey Review is ongoing and will report in full on misconduct in the Met, hopefully by March. There is an interim report, interesting read and only 20 odd pages, but for all that says about the inefficiency of their misconduct process, it doesn’t talk about vetting thresholds at the point of application and entry to the Met. I’d wager that too many wrong ‘uns are being allowed in, some of them then gain promotion and by their actions or inactions around misconduct the culture is born, embedded and ‘accepted’.
Rowley has a lot to change and seems to be saying and apparently doing the right things so far. Time will tell.

In my life I have only known three servicing police officers, two I played football with. All three were arrogant and one was an out and out bully. Not represent sample I'd agree but it's always made me wonder whether these qualities were actively sort after as part of the recruitment process or became inbred as part of their training, or both, or neither and that I simply encountered outliers.
I’ve known quite a few, some very well and some just as acquaintances, and I can say that some were the nicest, kindest people I’ve ever met, and some were absolute arrogant, nasty idiots.

I’ve also known doctors, nurses, firefighters and builders to be one or the other of those things too. I don’t think it’s possible to tar any profession which has thousands of employees of all different genders, races and beliefs with one brush.

The Baroness Casey Review is ongoing and will report in full on misconduct in the Met, hopefully by March. There is an interim report, interesting read and only 20 odd pages, but for all that says about the inefficiency of their misconduct process, it doesn’t talk about vetting thresholds at the point of application and entry to the Met. I’d wager that too many wrong ‘uns are being allowed in, some of them then gain promotion and by their actions or inactions around misconduct the culture is born, embedded and ‘accepted’.
Rowley has a lot to change and seems to be saying and apparently doing the right things so far. Time will tell.
From what is coming out David Carrick was known to police before joining, and the first report against him whilst in the police was in his probationary period.

From what is coming out David Carrick was known to police before joining, and the first report against him whilst in the police was in his probationary period.
Alarm bells? Too right. So why did he even get in to the Met? Only they will know but by the look of it he should never have got in in the first place.

In my youth my dad worked closely with solicitors and barristers through his business partner at the time. I also used to accompany him out on jobs as it was one of the few times we could see each other, especially in the school holidays. Anyway, once we all had a meeting at a town centre pub after work and there was by far the greasiest, most arrogant and violent looking guy there. I didn't know him so kept largely schtum during the ten or so minutes we were there, but in that time he regaled us with stories of all colours and things the local solicitors were doing and not doing (and I mean doing).

In the car home I asked my dad who the f*ck that was that we had just met. Was it a local gangster (I knew the type)? Was it an informer? Was it someone up for rape or armed robbery?

"No son, that's the chief of police for this county!"

My vision of village bobbies and hard-working cops took a beating that day, I tell you.

When I lived in Milton Keynes our neighbour was a PC in Thames Valley police. Now this neighbour frequently expressed right of centre views which I didn't always - or rarely, in fact - agreed with so the necessity to 'agree to differ' was often expressed.

One evening I went to the main MK police station with him to watch a football match in the police bar. There were scores of people present, mostly males associated with TVP. I remember thinking the views being expressed were not noticeably different from those heard in our local estate pub. Lots of references to 'blacks', misogyny hardly disguised and general comments that made one assume that the country's education system must have failed. My neighbour looked uneasy at times but was not willing to openly criticise.

To be clear, I have no evidence to persuade me that a majority of police officers behave badly or express disquieting thoughts, but my one brief experience suggested the males involved held views felt by the population at large.

I know a few ex police officers and two serving ones, all really nice and pleasant people.
I even worked for Camberley police for a while and discovered one from my old school in Chelmsford had been killed on active service.
What shocked me most was that the sergeant I worked with at Camberley in 2006 was subsequently jailed for eleven years in 2020 for two rape charges.
When I looked into it further I was led to a website that revealed hundreds of police were investigated and were jailed etc for serious crimes..
I only the bad police are investigated by independent people so that there is no subsequent cover up.

And just to show it is not just the Met potentially covering things up..
"South Yorkshire Police has admitted losing over three years’ worth of officer body cam footage due to an “unexplained” reduction in data stored in its systems.
The force said it had referred itself to the Information Commissioner’s Office after the footage, recorded between July 2020 and May 2023, was found to be missing.
Around 69 cases have been identified as potentially affected by the loss of data."

"unexplained reduction in data stored" a euphamism for we deleted it?

And just to show it is not just the Met potentially covering things up..
"South Yorkshire Police has admitted losing over three years’ worth of officer body cam footage due to an “unexplained” reduction in data stored in its systems.
The force said it had referred itself to the Information Commissioner’s Office after the footage, recorded between July 2020 and May 2023, was found to be missing.
Around 69 cases have been identified as potentially affected by the loss of data."

"unexplained reduction in data stored" a euphamism for we deleted it?
Hilarious euphemism. They must be employing someone to come up with these ‘euphemisms’, I can see them sitting around a board room table trying to come up with the best one; ‘Yes Sarge, you’ve nailed it!!’
But surely there’s nothing unexplained about this data; it’s gone.
Deleted. Wiped. Binned…

Hilarious euphemism. They must be employing someone to come up with these ‘euphemisms’, I can see them sitting around a board room table trying to come up with the best one; ‘Yes Sarge, you’ve nailed it!!’
But surely there’s nothing unexplained about this data; it’s gone.
Deleted. Wiped. Binned…
Presumably the unexplained bit is by whom, when and why...

...ie is it an IT cockup or has someone purposefully removed it?

Presumably the unexplained bit is by whom, when and why...

...ie is it an IT cockup or has someone purposefully removed it?
A system that stores that sort of data would have to have exceptionally tight control and fully auditable logging of access. It should also have full and regular backup. IT cockup wouldn't be the term - gross negligence at best.

A system that stores that sort of data would have to have exceptionally tight control and fully auditable logging of access. It should also have full and regular backup. IT cockup wouldn't be the term - gross negligence at best.
The service was, and probably still is, provided by a third party, the third party that manufactures the actual devices themselves, would be hard to park the blame at the door of the police on this one, the service provider has a lot to answer for though

Policing went to pot when they became a "service" rather than a "force".

State of affairs now is that staff in Greggs & Poundland have body worn cameras..... 🤷‍♂️

Policing went to pot when they became a "service" rather than a "force".

State of affairs now is that staff in Greggs & Poundland have body worn cameras..... 🤷‍♂️
More like went to pot when the government cuts led to 20000 less police (& yes they are finally reversing that, but 20000 inexperienced new recruits v 20000 experienced coppers), and political based policing chasing the next dog whistle - the police don't turn up to robberies in shops because they are visiting the home of every burglary victim, and detaining peaceful protesters. But at least the government can trot out the "crime is dropping" statements - which has been shown to only be true if you leave out fraud.

Back
Top Bottom