National News UK Policing 🚔

OUFCGav

New Met police chief "I have about 100 officers in the organisation who have very restrictive conditions on them because, frankly, we don't trust them to talk to members of the public and it's completely mad that I have to employ people like that as police officers who you can't trust to have contact with the public, it's ridiculous."

Surely they can't perform their duties if they don't interact with the public, so why not properly disciplined & sacked?

"He told presenter Nick Robinson he was unable throw them out of the force, due to restricted powers available to him."

seems like traditionally a lack of will, and a lack of process. Or creativity - just get them to stand outside guarding a large pile of **** all day every day. Restricted duties shouldn't be cushy.

One wonders how many of the 3,000 under investigation might be victims of vexatious misconduct complaints that are little more than that?

Two sides to every story and all that jazz...............

One wonders how many of the 3,000 under investigation might be victims of vexatious misconduct complaints that are little more than that?

Two sides to every story and all that jazz...............
yes there is process to go through, so not all 3000 may be valid. But there are still large amounts where there is behaviour that has been proven repeatedly and they are still there. the scale is ridiculous when even a Met chief is admitting all of this.

It’s 100 too many but still only 0.3% of the Met’s total officer strength, not a huge number, and it’s possible that other forces may be employing similar percentages as the Met?

It’s 100 too many but still only 0.3% of the Met’s total officer strength, not a huge number, and it’s possible that other forces may be employing similar percentages as the Met?
Well that makes it OK then!

New Met police chief "I have about 100 officers in the organisation who have very restrictive conditions on them because, frankly, we don't trust them to talk to members of the public and it's completely mad that I have to employ people like that as police officers who you can't trust to have contact with the public, it's ridiculous."

Surely they can't perform their duties if they don't interact with the public, so why not properly disciplined & sacked?

If they are unable to do the job that they are employed to do then there should be a way to discipline them and eventually replace them with officers who can do the job.
I would have thought that the new Met Police chief and his HR department would need to find a way to try and fix this problem

I think most of The Government already have protection.
Well given that one recent special protection officer is already in prison for murder, and another is in court for multiple sexual offences currently, then there might be some vacancies.

Well that makes it OK then!
Of course it doesn’t, like I said, it’s 100 too many but there will never, ever be zero ‘bad’ officers in UK police forces or any of the other emergency services and prison service, all will have their own percentage of wrong ‘uns; just look at the report into the LFS today.

Of course it doesn’t, like I said, it’s 100 too many but there will never, ever be zero ‘bad’ officers in UK police forces or any of the other emergency services and prison service, all will have their own percentage of wrong ‘uns; just look at the report into the LFS today.
this is not the only 100 bad officers in the Met - its just the ones the chief has said they don't allow to meet the public. Doesn't include the hundreds more currently on disciplinary, or indeed the ones currently in courts for things like rape. this is a situation that has been covered up and lied about for years, constantly with the isolated bad apple excuse wheeled out when they couldn't.

this is not the only 100 bad officers in the Met - its just the ones the chief has said they don't allow to meet the public. Doesn't include the hundreds more currently on disciplinary, or indeed the ones currently in courts for things like rape. this is a situation that has been covered up and lied about for years, constantly with the isolated bad apple excuse wheeled out when they couldn't.
I’m not defending them, or the Met, just trying to add some perspective.

I’m not defending them, or the Met, just trying to add some perspective.
well to add other perspective, out of 29 forces inspected by HMIC 14 were deemed to be not good enough in terms of investigating crime, and only 4 considered "good". So not actually doing the job properly in general.

The efficacy of policing UK isn’t a row to have with me I’m afraid but someone else may be willing.

well to add other perspective, out of 29 forces inspected by HMIC 14 were deemed to be not good enough in terms of investigating crime, and only 4 considered "good". So not actually doing the job properly in general.
Well when they’ve had budgets and numbers slashed over the years what do you expect? I can guarantee you NHS services are exactly the same (look at ambulance wait times, getting appointments to see an NHS dentist or a GP, surgical waiting times) and apparently the fire service aren’t great either. Any job in the world will have its idiots, underperformers and those who need to just leave or be sacked, but from my experience most police officers are trying their best in almost impossible circumstances. Give them a massive rise in budgets, numbers, and the ability to get rid of the bad ones and I’m sure you’d see a huge change.

Well when they’ve had budgets and numbers slashed over the years what do you expect? I can guarantee you NHS services are exactly the same (look at ambulance wait times, getting appointments to see an NHS dentist or a GP, surgical waiting times) and apparently the fire service aren’t great either. Any job in the world will have its idiots, underperformers and those who need to just leave or be sacked, but from my experience most police officers are trying their best in almost impossible circumstances. Give them a massive rise in budgets, numbers, and the ability to get rid of the bad ones and I’m sure you’d see a huge change.

Like this? £24.9 billion.

For comparison the NHS spend by breakdown.....

"Numbers" is always tricky, it takes time for trained Nurses, Doctors, Police etc to filter through to the sharp end and often those numbers are very tightly linked to the political cycle.

It's a shocking case - and made even more so by the statement this morning from the Met Police that they are actively investigating 800 of their officers for domestic violence or sexual assault (I note they did not mention how many were being investigated for other forms of assault, corruption etc!).

There is something seriously wrong - whether that's the culture, the vetting process or something else, I don't know - and it needs to be sorted out ruthlessly. The vast majority of police (hopefully) in the Met are being tainted by these people and the public are losing confidence in those supposed to protect them.

In my life I have only known three servicing police officers, two I played football with. All three were arrogant and one was an out and out bully. Not a represent sample I'd agree but it's always made me wonder whether these qualities were actively sort after as part of the recruitment process or became inbred as part of their training, or both, or neither and that I simply encountered outliers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom