Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an argument, not really one I'd subscribe to. Smyth is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, McGuane seems to have completely gone off the boil and to me McEachran is as likely to show up as not. I dunno, maybe more work on them was needed but they weren't the only fire Des had to fight on his tod.

It's an argument, not really one I'd subscribe to. Smyth is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, McGuane seems to have completely gone off the boil and to me McEachran is as likely to show up as not. I dunno, maybe more work on them was needed but they weren't the only fire Des had to fight on his tod.
I think it was reasonable to hope for some kind of 'plan B'. It was clear from the start that Murphy was being double or triple marked. But I dunno what that could have been.

Persisting with the lightweight midfield and predictable wing play against tough teams has cost us when we had options such as Smyth, McGuane and McEachrean unused.

And, of course, we could have done something more about this area in January (beyond a risky Matete)?

Wycombe signed Matt Butcher (L1 stalwart and a Champion last season) from Plymouth and he has been a triumph in a side that are 4th in the 'since Feb 1st' table.

I refuse to believe that we couldn't compete with Wycombe for what is a reliable, affordable, versatile L1 midfielder.

We consistently make recruitment look like rocket science. It isn't.

I think it was reasonable to hope for some kind of 'plan B'. It was clear from the start that Murphy was being double or triple marked. But I dunno what that could have been.

This is exactly how I see the last two games from last week - especially Lincoln.

We have two strings to our bow. We can play it around the back until the opportunity to get it out to our wingers in space arises, and have them cause havoc. And we can press, harry and break quickly on opponents coming at us. The combination of the two annihilated a Peterborough side that were tired, but consistently willing to play football and attack.

Lincoln nullified both of those options by doubling up on our wingers, and just launching it when they were in possession. And we didn't have another plan......because it's pretty hard to come up with something effective with the personnel we currently have available. Our only striking option is a converted winger who's running on empty; we don't have a destroyer in the middle of the park, nor really a watercarrier-type now that McGuane's form has fallen through the floor. I think at times we tried to play Manning-style controlled pass and move football through the middle, but that's not really a style that suits the best players we have available and firing right now.

So the fault last week, for me, was less Des failing to come up with a tactical masterstroke to get us four points, and more a failure in squad construction over at least the last four windows for which Des is partly, but not wholly responsible.

The good news is that a bunch of our big contracts will be coming off the books, so as long as our owners are willing to set fire to another couple of million, we should be able to build a balanced squad that can adapt better. Even having the option to play two up front if and when we need to would be nice!

Having looked at the real table you’d have to say all the pressure is on Barnsley on Saturday. 3 teams can over take them and 2 of the teams have better goal difference. Their form is awful and they have suddenly decided to panic and sack their manager.

I don’t buy that either. Players in the 46 game EFL are conditioned to go Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday for large swathes of the season. In that sequence you would never get three consecutive home league games - this was a unique situation.

Had we been playing Carlisle away on that second Saturday no one would have mentioned it, it would have just been another game in a typical EFL week. So instead of 3pm on a Saturday in, say, Carlisle we play at 8pm on the Friday in Oxford - about 11 waking hours difference (bed at 11, awake 8 hours later at 7). Compensate that with a 12-14 hour round trip coach journey and what’s the difference? If Carlisle is too extreme, let’s take somewhere around halfway as an example - Lincoln, you are talking only a few hours difference and nothing that’s going to massively impact your performance on a football field.

Yes, it was three games in that slightly shorter time frame but as I’ve said that’s off set by no travelling whatsoever, plenty of time to properly rest as well as being able to feed off the energy three packed home gates give you.

Just give us two draws, nothing more, nothing less. No one was asking for two more 5-0’s, two 0-0’s would have done. Des failed to navigate what was a very favourable position. Any manager you like would have bitten your hand off for a week like that and what was needed.
Could and shouldve got 4 points from those games though, it wasnt like we didnt deserve 4 points was it?

Having looked at the real table you’d have to say all the pressure is on Barnsley on Saturday. 3 teams can over take them and 2 of the teams have better goal difference. Their form is awful and they have suddenly decided to panic and sack their manager.
I think they have the easiest match though, they shouldn't mess up against Northampton.

I think they have the easiest match though, they shouldn't mess up against Northampton.
They ‘shouldn’t’ but pressure is a strange thing. Plus, will their crowd get on their backs if they aren’t performing?
I think us being away from home is a benefit as the away end will be bouncing IMO.

And, of course, we could have done something more about this area in January (beyond a risky Matete)?

Wycombe signed Matt Butcher (L1 stalwart and a Champion last season) from Plymouth and he has been a triumph in a side that are 4th in the 'since Feb 1st' table.

I refuse to believe that we couldn't compete with Wycombe for what is a reliable, affordable, versatile L1 midfielder.

We consistently make recruitment look like rocket science. It isn't.
Agree re Butcher completely. And they signed Nigel Lonwijk on loan from Wolves who also was a main part of the Plymouth side last season

Posh lucky to have enough points in the bag btw Moore was Players Player of the Year which has different criteria to Supporters Player I'd argue. Cam Bran got that accolade of course.

They ‘shouldn’t’ but pressure is a strange thing. Plus, will their crowd get on their backs if they aren’t performing?
I think us being away from home is a benefit as the away end will be bouncing IMO.

Exeter away looks the toughest of the lot, will our fans get on the players backs if we aren’t performing? I admire your hope but we are just like any other club and with fickle fans just like any other club. Lincoln worry me, they create an atmosphere as good as anyone in the lower leagues and that place will be right up for it. I’d be happier if Pompey were going to Barnsley instead! It’s going to be tense, thats the one thing guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom