Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Harking back to the xG discussion. Is it just me or is xG statistic the most boring, incomprehensible, useless waste of time ever? I’d rather just enjoy the football.

Some on here would have you believe that advanced statistical analysis is more entertaining than watching this current side.

Harking back to the xG discussion. Is it just me or is xG statistic the most boring, incomprehensible, useless waste of time ever? I’d rather just enjoy the football.
I think that in conjunction with other data, it is useful.
Totally understand some not liking it- pretty easy to ignore I would have thought?

So now all level on games, we are 1 point clear in 6th. Tough games for Stevenage and Blackpool on Friday. Lincoln and Orient play each other. We have the easiest game on paper but unfortunately football isn’t played on paper and Shrewsbury are fighting to stay up and probably need another win or 2 to confirm that so it won’t be straight forward.

We are by far the weakest team in the top 6 but are leading the chase for a final place and should be bolstered by this position and an exciting run-in. Had Stevenage not fallen off so spectacularly, we could've easily been 6+ points adrift so to be one ahead of them is fortunate, yet brilliant. We have two critical games against them and Lincoln which will be huge and some very winnable games to finish off with.

Northampton beating Derby today just shows that none of the sides in the playoff teams are invincible and we literally have nothing to lose now after a turbulent season.

We are by far the weakest team in the top 6 but are leading the chase for a final place and should be bolstered by this position and an exciting run-in. Had Stevenage not fallen off so spectacularly, we could've easily been 6+ points adrift so to be one ahead of them is fortunate, yet brilliant. We have two critical games against them and Lincoln which will be huge and some very winnable games to finish off with.

Northampton beating Derby today just shows that none of the sides in the playoff teams are invincible and we literally have nothing to lose now after a turbulent season.
Well, literally we have seven games to lose....but apart from that you're absolutely right.

It’s all in our own hands, and has been since early in the season. If we don’t make the play offs it will be a huge let down, but infinitely better than last season all the same.

However given where we were 3 months+ into the season, then if we don’t make the play offs it will seem such a wasted opportunity.

As long as we're strongest of the teams between 6th and 10th come the end of the season, then the rest can wait.

Are we in the play offs just to make the numbers up then? If we make it, which is an achievement of sorts, then losing in them is ultimately failure. Making the play offs surely can’t be considered a successful season, can it? Robinson was an extremely successful manager if that is the case. If we make it, we have to win it.

Are we in the play offs just to make the numbers up then? If we make it, which is an achievement of sorts, then losing in them is ultimately failure. Making the play offs surely can’t be considered a successful season, can it? Robinson was an extremely successful manager if that is the case. If we make it, we have to win it.
If this season is a failure, what was last season? Have you forgotten that?

I think that in conjunction with other data, it is useful.
Totally understand some not liking it- pretty easy to ignore I would have thought?
I do ignore it.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of useful statistics in football I just don’t think xG is one of them.

Yes, imagine!

And then imagine us losing more than we did under the snake.

Imagine us being in the playoff positions with seven games to go. Oh, we are.

Enjoy it, and let's hope that we win the final 10 games of this season.
Enjoyment isnt part of the equation for some of this lot ... they just want to get annoyed and blame people

Where did I say that it's just to make the numbers up? But we have to finish in the top 6 before anything else matters, and we're in the driving seat as it stands.

A couple of weeks ago we had the likes of you saying that we'd be lucky to make the top 10. But beat Shrewsbury on Friday, Stevenage lose against Bolton, Blackpool lose away at Derby, and Lincoln and Leyton Orient draw (all entirely possible) and we'll be 4 points clear with 6 games to go.

Beat Fleetwood on Easter Monday, Stevenage dropping points at an improving Charlton, Blackpool facing a tricky game against Wycombe, Orient v Peterborough and Lincoln playing a Carlisle side who are still fighting for everything, and the gap could be even wider before you've finished your first Easter Egg!

There's absolutely everything still to play for and yet you feel the need to create negativity where none exists.

Enjoy the ride and if everything goes wrong then you've got the whole summer to tell us that you were right!

My word you’re getting boring now.
@Scotchegg never said we were going to be there to make up the numbers.
If we finish 6th then we will be classed as the weakest team in the play offs and will have to play the best team out of the play off group over 2 legs.
If we come up short because we got beaten by the better team then that’s football. A bit like when we played Blackpool in the play offs and clearly weren’t good enough to go up.
If we go out of the play offs after not performing how we should then that would be a failure, like the way we lost to Wycombe in the Covid final.

It is ridiculous to suggest that just by making the play offs then we must win them.

Can’t believe Carlisle throw a two goal lead away.

As I said a draw isn’t a bad outcome, but it should have been better.
Stevenage won’t be making the playoffs, their form has fallen off a cliff & their high pressing high intensity style fatty evans has had them playing all season is catching up with them. They won’t take more than 10 points from their last 7

4 Wins from 7 will guarantee the last play off spot .
Big ask but anythings a possibility if we can just drag some form out of this squad .It's the worst the league has been since we won promotion .
Not sure that will be quite enough. Will likely need 76 or 77, or even possibly 78. All teams below us have a superior goal difference.

Back
Top Bottom