Chairman Takeover now Old Car Chat

One thing both stadiums of Thohir's old clubs is that they're both owned by the council. However, a council agreeing to a deal that could be deemed favourable towards a football club would be considered a scandal in England.

Rent would be needed and would need to represent value for taxpayers.
The title may indicate ownership by the District of Columbia but, the stadium only became real following the purchase of D C United by Erik Thohir. The finance to build a stadium was raised on the premise that land would be developed for other purposes all around the stadium.
There would not necessarily be any scandal generated by a local authority acting favourably towards a football club. How did the original plan for a stadium at Minchery Farm become reality?

You’re probably right but it’s still just supposition
It made no sense to Kassam when he got involved, he had to get the rest of the land and the covenant preventing alcohol licensing overturned before he went ahead to finish the stadium. Likewise, any developer with any common sense is going to want a return on their investment. Nobody in their right mind would pay Kassam for a stadium that could provide no income or return.
The way forward is land, and development. Not, a crumbling edifice with no space to develop and an initial outlay far in excess of it's land value.

Never believe anything until it’s announced, too many false dawns supporting OUFC, I remember being told the stadium deal was being sorted, Nicky Merry was sorting the paperwork at the solicitors etc etc and looked what happen there. Let’s wait and see…..

One thing both stadiums of Thohir's old clubs is that they're both owned by the council. However, a council agreeing to a deal that could be deemed favourable towards a football club would be considered a scandal in England.

A scandal?

Give me a break, have you seen some of the things this government is doing?!

Seem to recall Hull have this sort of deal.

Common sense and intelligent thinking. Don't need to be ITK to realise that buying the Kass Stad makes no sense to a developer.
Even as a demolished brown field site? I would have thought one correctly sized bit of land within the city of Oxford was a good as any other if the price was right?

It made no sense to Kassam when he got involved, he had to get the rest of the land and the covenant preventing alcohol licensing overturned before he went ahead to finish the stadium. Likewise, any developer with any common sense is going to want a return on their investment. Nobody in their right mind would pay Kassam for a stadium that could provide no income or return.
The way forward is land, and development. Not, a crumbling edifice with no space to develop and an initial outlay far in excess of it's land value.
The Kassam Stadium is sat on Land, a very big bit.

I swear people are just doing this to wind me and @Colin B up now!

I'll try just one more time,

We
Are
Not
Buying
The
Kassam
Scotchers
You are frequently on here and have given snippets on players which have sometimes come to fruition sometimes not
On this particular point you seem very sure, now that means you must have heard this from someone very close to the top in the football club
Now I obviously don’t expect you to reveal who it is but unless it’s KR/ Nial Mc Williams or Tiger any further development is possible
You won’t know what is going on behind the scenes, old Greedy Bastard is not getting younger and who knows what he might accept for the ground or even the whole complex including hotels etc
It’s just that you seem so sure about this issue and I’d love to know why

The Kassam Stadium is sat on Land, a very big bit.
No it's not. You have to understand this, the stadium footprint is the stadium. Not, the car park. Not the bowling lanes, not the hotels, not the restaurants.
You have to think in much bigger terms for it to be of interest to a developer. That is the reason that Kassam got involved. He saw the potential in the whole area - Minchery farm and adjacent.

Even as a demolished brown field site? I would have thought one correctly sized bit of land within the city of Oxford was a good as any other if the price was right?
Ok, I'll bite.

demolished brown field site - So, where would the club play in the meantime? And, this would entail having bought the stadium for whatever ludicrous price Kassam sets (if he even agrees to sell to the club, something he hasn't done so far) Then paying to have the land cleared - another expensive task. And then building a new stadium within the confines of the original footprint. That would make for an interesting project for a developer wanting a return on their investment.

if the price was right - Already covered but, what price would you envisage as being right? How much for an existing stadium as opposed to a plot of undeveloped land?

bit of land within the city of Oxford - Did you know that Greater Leys was not part of the City of Oxford before it was built? Gives scope for going a little further afield with a lot of land coming under scrutiny for housing initially but other development being considered.

Lastly, none of this is new. All this has been posted, time and time again. Several of us have endeavoured to explain this, time and time again. it's almost as if folks on here really do want to wind up others. (@Scotchegg is not alone)
Some of us research the subject, I've spent hours looking at green belt reports, planning applications, reading up on the business that is Firoka, Stadco and the man himself, Kassam. I've read City & County council meeting minutes and read the terms of the OxVox instigated 'Asset of community value' recognition.
We don't have to be 'in the know' just utilising common sense and the facts out there is sufficient.

May as well stay with OGB no need for a consortium then. Found this as I heard something similar
BDB0B5C5-C00A-428E-8E8B-D3B27E35E347.jpeg

No it's not. You have to understand this, the stadium footprint is the stadium. Not, the car park. Not the bowling lanes, not the hotels, not the restaurants.
You have to think in much bigger terms for it to be of interest to a developer. That is the reason that Kassam got involved. He saw the potential in the whole area - Minchery farm and adjacent.
If it is only the Stadium that’s potentially up for sale then I see your point and also agree with it.
Has it been confirmed anywhere that the rest of the site is not for sale? Or are you basing this on overall cost of buying and redeveloping the entire site, including car parks, bowling alley ect?
TBF I haven’t done the maths on this.

If it is only the Stadium that’s potentially up for sale then I see your point and also agree with it.
Has it been confirmed anywhere that the rest of the site is not for sale? Or are you basing this on overall cost of buying and redeveloping the entire site, including car parks, bowling alley ect?
TBF I haven’t done the maths on this.
In 2008 an estimated value of £13 million was given as a price to buy the stadium. Nothing more. Kassam has turned down every offer from every owner of OUFC ever since Nick Merry signed up to the 25 year licence for the stadium.
Can you imagine what the value would be now, 13 years later? And that is still if, if Kassam were willing to sell.
The rest of the 'Ozone' is also under licence agreements to the individual business that operate on the site. It might be that they would be up for sale, they may not. Whatever though, they are under contract to the individual business and anyone thinking of just demolishing and redeveloping the site would face enormous costs and compensation plus, anyone thinking of taking a new licence to operate would have some serious doubts. It's a non starter.

My fear is at the end of the lease the club will be homeless or paying even more rent to Kassam. Hopefully sorting this one way or another will be the new owners' number one priority.

Back
Top Bottom