Stewart Donald anyone.....

I assume that the plan was simply to go up this season which should have happened (Bolton, Blackburn, even Rotherham managed it)
Then it would have been a game changer (Sartori becomes involved big time to try for the PL)
Staying down (could easily happen) puts a different strain on it all.
So IF SD gets a good offer he presumably will consider it although the Championship and PL were clearly the objective.

Perhaps Sunderland was simply a project where more was bitten off than the current owners can chew and it's turning out to be not the quick buck that it was though to be? Especially if Sartori has reportedly taken a step back due to election stuff he is now involved in.

Sunderland was always a double your money bid, based on going straight up this year and selling as a Championship club.

The expenditure needed to finance them this year was huge, hence the selling of 10% stake for only £2m from Satori. Then, having got close at Christmas they gambled big on Griggs getting them promoted. If (and it's looking likely) that this gamble fails, then they will start losing money pretty quickly. They've still got players signed on massive contracts that will swallow up the reduced final parachute payment. They will then still need to invest in a squad that has failed for years and get some winning mindsets in and around the club. Next season really will be s**t or bust, and that could cost SD far more than he every expected to stump up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale over the summer with SD becoming a minority shareholder and Charlie sent packing.

Sunderland was always a double your money bid, based on going straight up this year and selling as a Championship club.

The expenditure needed to finance them this year was huge, hence the selling of 10% stake for only £2m from Satori. Then, having got close at Christmas they gambled big on Griggs getting them promoted. If (and it's looking likely) that this gamble fails, then they will start losing money pretty quickly. They've still got players signed on massive contracts that will swallow up the reduced final parachute payment. They will then still need to invest in a squad that has failed for years and get some winning mindsets in and around the club. Next season really will be s**t or bust, and that could cost SD far more than he every expected to stump up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale over the summer with SD becoming a minority shareholder and Charlie sent packing.

You should reach out to the fella on Twitter, you're clearly ITK!

SD got the club for a steal and will walk away quids in whatever league they are in. Clearly no shortage of suitors if SD did decide to sell

Sure, he may need to scrabble around the sofa for a few quid ("Hi Juan, yeah you know that 20% I sold to you for a huge discount? Yeah, gonna need that credit now") to cover the cashflow if they're still in L1 but the tanker is slowly turning around.

As much as it must grate you Scotchers, as a shareholder, the only way to send Charlie packing is by buying out his stake.

Charlie can keep his investment but I'd be amazed if he had a role at the club next season, especially after questions about who was responsible for bringing Grigg into the club. This season is on the brink of being a massive fail and few will escape blame (Charlie very much included!)

As far as getting the club for a steal, that very much depends on the valuation of the club. As a Championship club, you are right, they'd easily double their investment. As a league one club? I'm not so sure.

The club has been hemorrhaging money for years, and existing contracts will mean that wages will far exceed their expected expenditure in league 1 next season. Once you lose parachute payments and TV money from above, it is difficult to bounce back up. Portsmouth, Charlton and others were competing at the top not long ago and have since become established lower league sides. If Sunderland do the same then any deal becomes significantly less attractive.

The call for investment from SD mirrors that from DE in his final year with us. It's one thing financing a project when it's new and exciting but eventually you have to look after everything you've worked for. And on that basis I wouldn't be surprised to see them bail during the summer with or without a profit.

Charlie can keep his investment but I'd be amazed if he had a role at the club next season, especially after questions about who was responsible for bringing Grigg into the club. This season is on the brink of being a massive fail and few will escape blame (Charlie very much included!)

As far as getting the club for a steal, that very much depends on the valuation of the club. As a Championship club, you are right, they'd easily double their investment. As a league one club? I'm not so sure.

The club has been hemorrhaging money for years, and existing contracts will mean that wages will far exceed their expected expenditure in league 1 next season. Once you lose parachute payments and TV money from above, it is difficult to bounce back up. Portsmouth, Charlton and others were competing at the top not long ago and have since become established lower league sides. If Sunderland do the same then any deal becomes significantly less attractive.

The call for investment from SD mirrors that from DE in his final year with us. It's one thing financing a project when it's new and exciting but eventually you have to look after everything you've worked for. And on that basis I wouldn't be surprised to see them bail during the summer with or without a profit.

Lots of conjecture here which I think you should be careful about.

I also find some of the tone from some directed at SD rather distasteful on here. He has got us out of a lot of financial holes in the past and loves the club. Any schadenfreude directed his way from regular fans is misguided and unfair in my view. I would extend that to CM too (although I appreciate that some on here feel aggrieved at how he has engaged with them on here so there’s perhaps some justification).

As much as anything, one or both of them may wishes to help support OUFC again in some capacity, so it’s clearly not in the club’s interests to create a siege mentality.

That’s not aimed at anyone in particular by the way - generally things are discussed evenly on here but I don’t really get the dislike of Sunderland. Their fans are incredibly loyal and I want them back up the leagues are they’re too massive for us to realistically compete with them properly.

I disagree with a lot of that
I would be surprised if CM isnt there if SD is.
It will be an awful season if they do not go up (they still could)
They are a huge club at this level. Far bigger than Charlton and Pompey (they averaged 32k this season)
If they don't go up this season they will be firm favourites to win it next time.

I just get the feeling that SD finds it difficult to really support another team other than Oxford, unlike, maybe Charlie. I hope he makes a few quid and has some part to play in the future of OUFC.
This is not about a team you might support but money, SD & Co had the chance to own OUFC for an extra million or so and never followed that up again, as stated on here by chas the finances didn't add up and also the WE fantasy had evaporated.

They are a huge club at this level. Far bigger than Charlton and Pompey (they averaged 32k this season)
If they don't go up this season they will be firm favourites to win it next time.

Im not sure it would make them firm favourites. Man utd are one of the biggest clubs in the world let alone prem, that doesnt mean they start next season as favourites

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure it would make them firm favourites. Man utd are the one of the biggest clubs in the world let alone prem, that doesnt mean they start next season as favourites

Hardly a level comparison though, Manure have 4/5 Big clubs competing with them whilst Sunderland are far and away the biggest club in our league and if they don't go up this time they will indeed be firm favourites to do so next season with the bookmakers

Im not sure it would make them firm favourites. Man utd are the one of the biggest clubs in the world let alone prem, that doesnt mean they start next season as favourites
They will e firm favourites as they will have come what 4th this season despite having a big turnover in players and having to sell their goalscorer in January.
They have the basis of a decent side and will no doubt add a number of expensive players.
Their budget will be what 4 times the other top budgets?
It doesn't guarantee that they will go up next season but they will rightly be firm favourites (unless they cut back significantly which I doubt,)

Favourites are based in the number of bets laid as much as chances of success. Sunderland will be favourites because fans tend to bet on their own sides, and will have a budget bigger than most. But their budget was 10 times that of many clubs this year and that should have had them going up automatically. They haven't are are likely to need to get past Portsmouth and Charlton, two sides who look better and are in much better form.

Yes they are a big club, but that means nothing without performances on the pitch. We've seen loads of big clubs go down, ours included, and climbing back up only gets harder.

SD may have helped Oxford in the past, and we're all grateful for everyone who has invested in our club. But he chose to finance a rival and whilst I wouldn't want him to lose what he's worked hard for, that doesn't mean that I want Sunderland to succeed.

Truly obsessed with Methven! Somebody mentions a rumour about Grigg on twitter (FFS) which SD debunks, yet in your world this could mean Charlie may loose his job?!?!

Hardly a level comparison though, Manure have 4/5 Big clubs competing with them whilst Sunderland are far and away the biggest club in our league and if they don't go up this time they will indeed be firm favourites to do so next season with the bookmakers
Not what im saying. As this season has proved, the size of ur attendance the size of ur bank balance and the size of ur budget really mean nothing. Luton and Doncaster have had as good a season as teams on a differnt planet to them financially, the bookies may make them favourites, but that wont be based on their ability

If Sunderland don’t get promoted this season then that’s failure in most eyes.

Having said that I’d still make them firm favourites for promotion next season due to their huge financial advantage, plus the manager will have had a season’s experience of League 1 football and that should stand him and the team in good stead .

On a personal level I wish SD well, he and the Donald family have been very generous to OUFC over the years. Sunderland FC however are just another League 1 rival with a bit of local interest due to the ownership.

Really Dave? well if you're a betting man there will be some decent value on some other sides then.

Really Dave? well if you're a betting man there will be some decent value on some other sides then.

Still not what im saying, the bookies will make them favourite, thats based on their size, financial muscle and the number of bets placed on them . Like this year that doesnt automatically mean they walk the league. Same as when we were favourite to walk the conference every season.

Im not sure it would make them firm favourites. Man utd are one of the biggest clubs in the world let alone prem, that doesnt mean they start next season as favourites

Sunderland will always start as favourites for the title due to their size and that size will still be an attraction for players at this level. The only time they wouldn't, imo, is if they went into financial meltdown.

Back
Top Bottom