Statement

relegation dog fight to look forward to this season then?... following a so far woeful close season/pre season transfer window, we have a squad made up mainly of U23s.... the absentee board are like the toilets at the breeze block..., full of s**t

I admire your passion Baz, as always, and like many others I've voiced disquiet about our owners' intentions in the past. There are valid counter arguments (eg money spent on training facilities) but we are desperately short of players in some positions.

All that said, I can't see behind the scenes issues affecting our core support, and I'll bet we'll average at least 6,500 home fans irrespective of league position. For me, it's a question of accepting who we are and what we can reasonably expect to achieve. That doesn't reflect a lack of ambition, just a sense of realism.

Forget foreign billionaires turning us into Real Oxford. I'd love a few seasons in the second tier and if we get close to promotion in 2019/2020 it will be a fantastic effort.

But demanding answers from the hierarchy at this stage of the season smacks of a lack of awareness of the reality of our situation.
I’m sounding pessimistic Pete but honestly im not I would love to know why we get told things for the last 2 seasons that haven’t materialised more so thins season and as @Sarge says a relegation dogfight is looking good for this season and I do honestly believe that promotion will not be on the cards for a few seasons and the way things are going what promotion we do receive will only be to L1 as we can’t compete much in this league with our transfer policy.

I actually deleted my post Baz, but you got a response in before I did so! I deleted it because I decided it was a bit too conciliatory towards our owners, and us fans should reasonably expect more. If this club doesn't hold at least the hope of promotion to tier two there's something wrong. It's not an easy ambition to achieve, but it should be an aim for any serious owner, and starting the season with a threadbare squad should be unacceptable to the fan base.
Well said Pete

so it wasn't get browne at any cost it was sell whyte at as good as no cost, so easy for such things to be mixed up...

Why would they hold a forum after this calamity window and whyte on his way,they know the fans are going to be baying for blood

Why would they hold a forum after this calamity window and whyte on his way,they know the fans are going to be baying for blood
They probably would be to scared as I slice the heckling had finished we would have run out of time to listen to more bullshit.

They probably would be to scared as I slice the heckling had finished we would have run out of time to listen to more bullshit.
I hope that the club are doing their best to get in 4 quality players ( which I am sure the club is trying to do)
I am sure that is the club absolute priority and they ( hopefully) aren't bothered about people on an internet forum.
Let's bookmark some of this and see what happens

I hope that the club are doing their best to get in 4 quality players ( which I am sure the club is trying to do)
I am sure that is the club absolute priority and they ( hopefully) aren't bothered about people on an internet forum.
Let's bookmark some of this and see what happens

KR said talking to 3/4 strikers and 2/3 wingers in the interview...wonder the timings on that and the Whyte news.

The way things are going with this transfer window I think if it remains the same and with the news that Whyte maybe off them the Tiger and Robinson to make a joint statement or even hold a public forum to explain what the hell is happening with our club.

2 weeks on, I think Oxford United have just given the clearest statement of what is happening at the club.

We were unlucky to only get a point at Sunderland but were much the stronger team today against the promotion favourites. In the first half we were fantastic. We played the ball around, created chances and one pretty much every second ball. Mous run the show from the back, Dickie won every header, Brannagan and Gorrin controlled the middle of the pitch, Henry, Mackie and Woodburn were fantastic and Fosu was almost unplayable.

Even when we tired in the second half, we still created the better chances and could have given Peterborough an absolute thumping.

Players like Ageyi, alongside Elliott Moore coming in on a 3 year contract shows how we are building for the future. Plus the extended contracts of Dickie and Robinson, with Brannagan not being far away from extending his own stay. We can clearly attract the young prospect who feel that we're able to support their development. Also players like Matty Taylor (who will be here by Tuesday) and probably George Thorne who will provide additional experience throughout the club.

Then we see the training ground, which I was mocked for talking up, but those who visited with OxVox yesterday spoke very highly off. Likewise, Chris Cadden on the preview show talking about how good everything is behind the scenes. The team spirit is evident from the end of last season and into this. Robinson talks about creating a culture and that is visible from the kids up to the first team.

Then, we have the work that is genuinely going on behind the scenes to provide our long term future with the stadium plans.

All of this is far more important than some silly meaningless statement that tries to appease the crazy views on here.

2 weeks on, I think Oxford United have just given the clearest statement of what is happening at the club.

We were unlucky to only get a point at Sunderland but were much the stronger team today against the promotion favourites. In the first half we were fantastic. We played the ball around, created chances and one pretty much every second ball. Mous run the show from the back, Dickie won every header, Brannagan and Gorrin controlled the middle of the pitch, Henry, Mackie and Woodburn were fantastic and Fosu was almost unplayable.

Even when we tired in the second half, we still created the better chances and could have given Peterborough an absolute thumping.

Players like Ageyi, alongside Elliott Moore coming in on a 3 year contract shows how we are building for the future. Plus the extended contracts of Dickie and Robinson, with Brannagan not being far away from extending his own stay. We can clearly attract the young prospect who feel that we're able to support their development. Also players like Matty Taylor (who will be here by Tuesday) and probably George Thorne who will provide additional experience throughout the club.

Then we see the training ground, which I was mocked for talking up, but those who visited with OxVox yesterday spoke very highly off. Likewise, Chris Cadden on the preview show talking about how good everything is behind the scenes. The team spirit is evident from the end of last season and into this. Robinson talks about creating a culture and that is visible from the kids up to the first team.

Then, we have the work that is genuinely going on behind the scenes to provide our long term future with the stadium plans.

All of this is far more important than some silly meaningless statement that tries to appease the crazy views on here.
It definitely looks as if the club's transfer policy is paying off? Would any critic's disagree now?

Where did you hear that Cameron Brannagan is going to extend his stay?

It definitely looks as if the club's transfer policy is paying off? Would any critic's disagree now?

I don't think even Kip will disagree!

But let's be honest, things looked shaky for a while, not helped by the appalling club PR: countless deadlines set - and subsequently missed.

Let's enjoy the ride now.

If they get Taylor (or equivalent) in, I’d say it’s turned into the best window for many years. If they don’t, then we still haven’t solved the most problematic position; we won’t challenge or struggle.

I’m very pleased they turned it around but I don’t think it’s a confidence that Whyte’s departure unlocked the whole shooting match. Nothing wrong with that it’s our model but I suspect it enabled us to loosen the purse strings enough to become attractive to players that were, until that point, out of our reach.

It was a good game today and if what I heard is correct there has been another signing but not announced then things are looking good, can’t wait to Daniel Ageyi start for Oxford hopefully Tuesday, although I’ve heard Get the Thorne failed a medical.
And my post from 2 weeks ago was mistimed or anything like that, we were looking a bit thin on the ground regarding new players but things are looking good, just wish Cadden has signed for us instead.

It does show some of the absolutely ridiculous comments on here over the past few weeks.

It does show some of the absolutely ridiculous comments on here over the past few weeks.
True but it also shows the level of passion that people have for the club - it matters hence the concern. Also let's not forget that only a couple of weeks ago, Robinson was publicly stating we were struggling to recruit so things appear to have worked out now but it looks to have been a very close run thing.

True but it also shows the level of passion that people have for the club - it matters hence the concern. Also let's not forget that only a couple of weeks ago, Robinson was publicly stating we were struggling to recruit so things appear to have worked out now but it looks to have been a very close run thing.
Oh I am sure the everybody on here has passion for the club.
Some of the comments have been totally OTT in my view without seeing the final squad (I agree that the majority are reasonable)
My favourite was that it would be pointless going to Sunderland we would only have youngsters playing.

Back
Top Bottom