Ex Player Stanley Mills

Shouldn’t always start games
I agree with this, I would like someone with a little bit more to him than Mills, he is rapid, but his anticipation and decision-making at times is poor.

I take your point but think he adds as much going forward as you can reasonably expect from a typical winger at this level to be honest. Adds threat in behind with pace, quite regularly beats his man when he fronts him up, and has pretty decent end product. I can’t think of another winger who’s directly contributed to more goals this season off the top of my head (edit: for OUFC). And he’s generally fine covering back, though no more than that.

I think his issue is he consistently fades badly after about 60 mins. Regularly looks shagged and stops chasing back at all. Didn’t affect us too badly today but against Bolton especially it probably should have lost us the game. He’s probably a victim of being overplayed at the minute, as we don’t have any other option for the RW. He was a real threat off the bench earlier in the season and, while I think his defensive play has improved as a result of consistent starts, I think he could do with some rotation.
Just on this, saw this excellent compilation on Twitter earlier (fair play to the guy who put it together):

Obviously highlights Harris doing a lot of very useful stuff up front, but I think it's also notable how many of the clips result in Mills beating his man or making something happen. Even on an off day, he still offered a lot going forward, more than most others in that horrendous first half.

Mills has done well in his first loan.

He’s starting by default at the moment due to injuries, had circumstances been different he’d have been rested / come off the bench in recent games.

Certainly think he’ll be gaining a lot from this loan.

All the best to him - would be happy to see him back here again in the future, has been really impressive for a lad in his first senior season

But the forum said it's an acl. Who to believe?

Get well, Stanley.
Definitely not an ACL. The bottom half of his leg was basically hanging from the knee. Awful injury. Must of been so painful. Poor kid.

Last edited:
Gutted for the lad, been really impressed with him as a player and as a young man his character never in question and strikes me as someone who just wants to play football. Hopefully he can recover and go on to have a good career in football. Sure we'd all be in agreement that he'd always be welcome back at the football club.

I dislocated my knee playing football when I was 18. Not for the squeamish, but my kneecap ended up round the back of my leg, chipping off some bone in the process. Like Mills, nobody was near me when it happened, I just caught my foot in the turf. Anyway, it was a good 3 to 4 months before I was moving properly again. Could thus be similar timeframe for him. (Also, it was the worst pain I ever felt.)

Back
Top Bottom