Sol Campbell

I'm not quite sure why he had to make a comment about not wanting people to see it as being white or black but to just see a football manager. The only person who keeps making an issue about him being a black manager is himself.

I really hope he fails to be honest.

God, this guy just winds me up. Granted, very talented and successful footballer but as a person? He's an absolute t**t. Imagine how many times he would have mentioned that disallowed goal against Argentina if it had actually been allowed and won the game!? I hope they lose every game 5-0. Footballs greatest mind, my ass...

Can’t find the links but listen to Dwight Yorke and Paul Ince. Yorke uses the word Us when talking about the lack of black managers in the game. Such a t**t.

Can’t find the links but listen to Dwight Yorke and Paul Ince. Yorke uses the word Us when talking about the lack of black managers in the game. Such a t**t.
Ince talking absolute P**s as always...

These two both do the cause more harm than good - Ince at least has had some success as a manager, but the latter part of his career has basically been one disaster to the next. But as the most high profile black candidate around, he was able to get more roles (or roles for longer) than his actual performance had managed.
Yorke meanwhile is another who thinks he has the right to walk into a job with no experience. He is nromally wheeled out every time that the Villa job comes up, yet does not seem to comprehend why he is not shortlisted each time.
For me, what these guys fail to realise, is that it is not a race thing, or a colour thing, it is a reluctance to give ALL untried managers a job, because even lower down the ladder the price of failure can be massive. They need to look around and see that there are plenty of white ex-footballers (eg Fowler) trying to break into management as well that have not yet got the opportunity (and others who have, but have been discarded without really being given a chance (eg Sherringham).

I'd like to see MAcclesfield survive, because of Kelleher, Napa and Welch-Hayes, but I fear that the Conference beckons. Campbell MAY prove us wrong, but I think he is going to struggle to get teh players onside, even if his tactical nous is actually switched on (which frankly nobody knows whether he has any or not?)

These two both do the cause more harm than good - Ince at least has had some success as a manager, but the latter part of his career has basically been one disaster to the next. But as the most high profile black candidate around, he was able to get more roles (or roles for longer) than his actual performance had managed.
Yorke meanwhile is another who thinks he has the right to walk into a job with no experience. He is nromally wheeled out every time that the Villa job comes up, yet does not seem to comprehend why he is not shortlisted each time.
For me, what these guys fail to realise, is that it is not a race thing, or a colour thing, it is a reluctance to give ALL untried managers a job, because even lower down the ladder the price of failure can be massive. They need to look around and see that there are plenty of white ex-footballers (eg Fowler) trying to break into management as well that have not yet got the opportunity (and others who have, but have been discarded without really being given a chance (eg Sherringham).

I'd like to see MAcclesfield survive, because of Kelleher, Napa and Welch-Hayes, but I fear that the Conference beckons. Campbell MAY prove us wrong, but I think he is going to struggle to get teh players onside, even if his tactical nous is actually switched on (which frankly nobody knows whether he has any or not?)
Agree with all of that.
What irks me is that the BBC , other media never challenge these people. As you suggest there are lots of ex players who can't get a managers role.

the Mexicans recognised the genius of the man ....they even named an alcoholic drink in his honour ;)

MIN_321962_CSA.jpg

One of the papers today suggested that Campbell went to one interview unable to name one of their players and admitted to have never watched them.
If true he is a disgrace.

One of the papers today suggested that Campbell went to one interview unable to name one of their players and admitted to have never watched them.
If true he is a disgrace.
It highlights his exact issue. That based on his name, he expects to get a job by just turning up for the interview. It's why I wouldn't want him to manage OUFC with such a mentality.

Interesting to note that this brings the number of BAME managers to 8 out of 92 - which is a lot higher than it used to be:
  • Chris Hughton (Brighton & Hove Albion)
  • Nuno Espirito Santo (Wolves)
  • Jos Luhukay (Sheffield Wednesday)
  • Darren Moore (West Bromwich Albion)
  • Chris Powell (Southend United)
  • Keith Curle (Northampton Town)
  • Dino Maamria (Stevenage)
  • Sol Campbell (Macclesfield Town)

Probably puts to bed the debate that black candidates are underrepresented.

Blacks make up about 3% of the population but that’s almost 9% of the managerial roles in footballs top four leagues. Which is probably about right given they are over represented as players.

But think it’s fair to say there’s no genuine discrimination going on. Isolated pockets may exist but doesn’t look systemic to me

If Ryan Giggs turned up with that attitude and lack of preparation, no thanks. If Wayne Rooney turned up with that attitude and lack of preparation, no thanks. If Dave Kitson turned up with that attitude and lack of preparation, no thanks. Chris Wilder got the job here in part, because he had a plan of where he wanted to take the club. Having had to do interviews at work recently, a lack of preparation is unforgivable whoever you are. I'm amazed at how many people fail do it and just turn up.

My vague dislike of Campbell has nothing to do with his race, and all to do with his mentality to managing a football club and training the players, etc. While I'm sure there are few idiots out there who think he is thick because of his race, I've seen very little criticism, if any, in that regard and I see no evidence to suggest that he's not just a clever bloke with a big ego.

Back
Top Bottom