National News Sir Keir Starmer

You have only to look at France and Spain both had longer and harder lockdowns than us and what’s happening now far worst than us also Holland now. Life has to go on remember if your old enough 85 thousand died of Hong Kong flu in 68/69 don’t remember a lockdown then.

I'm not quite old enough.

Still, if less than 10% of the country has had COVID, and it is proven to be more contagious than most flu-type illnesses, and 40,000 are dead already, wouldn't we expect a Hell of a lot more than 85,000 deaths before this is through?

Not saying lockdown is the answer, just don't think we should trivialise the threat.

Starmer has done pretty well here really from a political perspective. Unless we see dramatic improvements thanks to the tier system he’ll be able to say the government were in the wrong on their approach.

Personally I don’t mind a lockdown of 3 weeks IF the time is used to fix our testing, track and trace system, out proper controls in place. Even then 3 weeks probably isn’t long enough.

If it’s being used as a fairly blunt instrument to control the spread because of our poor response to the crisis then I’ve got little/no time for it.

2-3 week circuit break is just a token gesture and in all likelihood an utter waste of titime.
The infection numbers are rocketing.
Would 2 to 3 weeks be a 'waste of time '?
People are infectious for around 2 weeks, so surely this would stop the rapidly growing number of cases?
Something more is worth a try and could at least stop the type of 'partying on the streets some in Liverpool for example seem to think is OK.

The infection numbers are rocketing.
Would 2 to 3 weeks be a 'waste of time '?
People are infectious for around 2 weeks, so surely this would stop the rapidly growing number of cases?
Something more is worth a try and could at least stop the type of 'partying on the streets some in Liverpool for example seem to think is OK.
I do struggle to see the impact being effective.

We had over 3 months of lockdown and the infection rate dropped to 0.8-0.9 I think, yet here we are today. If It was as simple as people just being infectious for around 2 weeks then the virus should have been eradicated by the time we all emerged. If only it was that simple.

We also now have as many people in hospital with Covid as in March, so what has changed between March and now to suggest 2-3 weeks would be sufficient when much longer was needed in March?

As carefreeoufc said, a circuit break not only needs to stem the growth but the time also has to be used effectively to ensure all Covid measures are fully functional and understood.... Would that really happen? Our track record suggests not.

You mention Liverpool, but they are in Tier 3 already so the partying on the streets should already stop. If that isn’t happening now I doubt it will happen during a circuit break.

Christ, I sound so defeatist ?.

I do struggle to see the impact being effective.

We had over 3 months of lockdown and the infection rate dropped to 0.8-0.9 I think, yet here we are today. If It was as simple as people just being infectious for around 2 weeks then the virus should have been eradicated by the time we all emerged. If only it was that simple.

We also now have as many people in hospital with Covid as in March, so what has changed between March and now to suggest 2-3 weeks would be sufficient when much longer was needed in March?

As carefreeoufc said, a circuit break not only needs to stem the growth but the time also has to be used effectively to ensure all Covid measures are fully functional and understood.... Would that really happen? Our track record suggests not.

You mention Liverpool, but they are in Tier 3 already so the partying on the streets should already stop. If that isn’t happening now I doubt it will happen during a circuit break.

Christ, I sound so defeatist ?.
You're right, it's too late. We should have locked down three weeks ago when the scientists said. Johnson is now repeating his previous mistakes. As I said above, the sh1tst0rm is almost upon us. And Johnson fiddles.

Yesterday, just before 3pm, Labour Shadow Health Minister Jon Ashworth said a full national lockdown would be 'disastrous'...

Just after 5pm the same day, Labour Leader Keir Starmer called for a full national lockdown.

Just.Leaving.That.There.

Yesterday, just before 3pm, Labour Shadow Health Minister Jon Ashworth said a full national lockdown would be 'disastrous'...

Just after 5pm the same day, Labour Leader Keir Starmer called for a full national lockdown.

Just.Leaving.That.There.
It will be, but will it be as big a disaster as not locking down? There are no winning scenarios.

Last edited:

Just.Leaving.That.There.

They're learning how to be consistent with messaging from the Tory example. ;)

Just.Leaving.That.There.

Haha... maybe you should ask the mods to sticky it ?... just to remind us that politicians are all the bloody same.

I’m a key worker, so I’m earning! It was lovely during the last lockdown. Nobody hardly on the roads, and never had to wear a mask doing my food shopping.

Ahh shopping. Does anyone really understand how getting a trolley from the shelter, and then going to the entrance to give it a spring clean. Then wipe it with disinfectant so they don’t catch something. Erm you’ve already touched it before cleaning it. What’s the point!

I’m a key worker, so I’m earning! It was lovely during the last lockdown. Nobody hardly on the roads, and never had to wear a mask doing my food shopping.

Ahh shopping. Does anyone really understand how getting a trolley from the shelter, and then going to the entrance to give it a spring clean. Then wipe it with disinfectant so they don’t catch something. Erm you’ve already touched it before cleaning it. What’s the point!

Wear gloves. :)

Quite right too. Even today he couldn't admit there was a serious problem with anti-semitism in the Labour Party under his leadership. Claimed it was over blown by the media.
Yes agree with that.
Starmer to be fair has been pretty tough so far and could make Labour electable!

Yes agree with that.
Starmer to be fair has been pretty tough so far and could make Labour electable!

He seems to be getting his own house in order whilst the Conservatives are in the midst of a Clusterfuck

He seems to be getting his own house in order whilst the Conservatives are in the midst of a Clusterfuck

With 4 years to resolve said pandemic and other trivia.

KS now says "denying Labour were anti-Semitic" is now a sackable offence.

It`ll be interesting to see what the more extreme left/momentum types do now.

Back
Top Bottom