Local News Sir Roger Bannister RIP

Manorman

Remarkable man. Forever remembered for many great achievements.

mooro

I only watched a documentary on his breaking the 4 minute mile record the other day - fascinating.
The greatest sporting achievement that Oxford will ever play a role in, and one third of a trio of events that marked the country's true emergence from post-war doldrums (along with the coronation of a new young Queen and conquering Everest) and gave rise to a new positivity about the future and the role that we could play in it...

A true great

Sarge

I only watched a documentary on his breaking the 4 minute mile record the other day - fascinating.
The greatest sporting achievement that Oxford will ever play a role in, and one third of a trio of events that marked the country's true emergence from post-war doldrums (along with the coronation of a new young Queen and conquering Everest) and gave rise to a new positivity about the future and the role that we could play in it...

A true great
My Dad was there at Iffley road in May 1954 when (Sir) Roger Bannister achieved his Internationally renowned breaking of the 4-minute mile

Paul P

Had the pleasure of meeting him. Humble, articulate and did a lot of work encouraging people to stay fit, even in his later years. A sad passing but no doubt a life well lived.

holdsteady

If you haven’t read/watched the story of his life I would recommend you do, an interesting man outside of one of this countries truly great sporting achievements, which is a big part of the city of Oxfords history.

RIP Sir Roger Bannister.

iambungle

My Dad was there at Iffley road in May 1954 when (Sir) Roger Bannister achieved his Internationally renowned breaking of the 4-minute mile
So was my late Grandfather. He is (just about) in one of the wider angled photos that are often published.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oxymoron In the news 7