National News Sarah Everard

From the live footage a watched last night , a small number of feminist activist seem to of hijacked the event and ruined it for the ones who were rightly paying their respects

Yeah, those scary "feminist activists". Apparently the police moved in after "anti-police chanting". Stay back, stay dignified, and the peaceful majority go on their way leaving the disruptive minority to challenge if necessary. Public order control key stage one!!!

• React
Reactions: QR
Firstly, we don't know that a breach took place. If Sarah lived alone then she is entitled to have a "support bubble" which could include one other household. The distance between the two should be "reasonable" but that's obviously subjective.

Secondly, you comment that "if Sarah Everard had complied with lockdown restrictions, this discussion on this thread wouldn't be taking place" is completely unknown and actually pretty offensive and something I wouldn't expect from you.

Blaming this young woman (directly or indirectly) for being taken off the streets and murdered is sadly why these protests are needed. I work with criminals every day, and have heard a thousand pathetic excuses. "If she wasn't dressed like that then I wouldn't have raped her." "If she didn't wind me up all the time I wouldn't have kept hitting her." "If she hadn't breached covid regulations I wouldn't have murdered her!!!"

Can't you see how utterly wrong this is?
Sarge. I like you as a poster but in my view you are wrong on this. Victim blaming has to stop. Yes there are common sense discussions I will be having with my daughter when she is old enough to start going out but that is really different to placing any responsibility on this poor woman, Sarah Everard, because of the horrific actions of another person.

I bed to differ.
Yes but they also said...
"That they didn’t however does not justify the Met Police’s overzealous handling of the situation"

Seems to me that you missed that bit of balance in the post.

Sarge. I like you as a poster but in my view you are wrong on this. Victim blaming has to stop. Yes there are common sense discussions I will be having with my daughter when she is old enough to start going out but that is really different to placing any responsibility on this poor woman, Sarah Everard, because of the horrific actions of another person.
Fair comment ..... and I pretty much agree .... ( albeit, I don't think Id be too comfortable walking across Clapham common at night! )..... I wasnt in anyway whatsoever intending to blame Sarah Everard, for what tragically happened to her ( Im not a '70s High court Judge)- and, in retrospect I didn't word my posts above too well either..... I would say many people in the UK have 'pushed their luck' in respect of complying with lockdown restriction requirements to the letter on occasion? ....
taxis & hire cabs have been working and available to hire during lockdown restrictions, for those who don't drive or have their own transport who need to make essential journeys,- ( I advised my two daughters when they were younger, to book a taxi when going home at night- before they could both drive), why chose to walk a journey of 50 minutes (each way), including crossing a public space that is known for assaults and muggings, during daytime and night time, taking place outside of lockdown when booking a taxi for at least the return journey is, IMO a more sensible option is the point I was (badly) trying to make,.... and, my badly made comment was compounded by me adding in that walking for 50 mins each was a possible breach of lockdown restrictions

I agree @Scotchegg , no one knows either way if a breach of lockdown took place, and also do concur with your other comments too

Im now banishing myself to the naughty step for the next few hours, to have a good think ...and in future (try) to word posts on sensitive issues better than I have on this thread

I was expressing my lack of surprise at @Essexyellows support the police violence last night.
I am really not sure what the white male comment has to do with it?
I have never to my knowledge know whether Essex yellow is white or not, but just don't understand the relevance

I am really not sure what the white male comment has to do with it?
I have never to my knowledge know whether Essex yellow is white or not, but just don't understand the relevance
Actually he may have confirmed this is previous posts but for avoidance of doubt... @Essexyellows are you a white male?

White people arguing with white people about being white on an anonymous, obscure league one football forum just makes you wonder what we did with our Sundays before some silly fucker put pigeons out of job and invented the internet.

White people arguing with white people about being white on an anonymous, obscure league one football forum just makes you wonder what we did with our Sundays before some silly fucker put pigeons out of job and invented the internet.
What colour were the pigeons?

You're right. We take murder too seriously.

White male has spoken. Now everyone else SHUT UP or you'll suffer the consequences. You can't say you weren't warned.

I was expressing my lack of surprise at @Essexyellows support the police violence last night.

First up, try taking the blinkers off now and again and read what people write.

In London a protest, currently illegal under lockdown rules, went ahead and attracted a bunch of folk who like to rack up at such things.
Not all the demonstrators were female, they were not social distancing and ignored direct instructions from the police.
That escalated the situation, things got feisty and people got arrested.

Compare that with a vigil, also currently illegal under lockdown rules, in Nottingham. People of all ages and genders observing a vigil with no police.
1615731663422.png

For the hard of thinking if you don`t act like an entitled prick then the police will let you be. If you get all pushy and shouty then the odds are you`ll experience something very different.

I would have thought football fans would have more understanding of that to be fair.

Sad case. However she went missing there is a need to deal with misogynistic attitudes. Ok
Last night:
People went to Clapham and paid their respects during the day yesterday, went home, grateful for the opportunity to do so. It’s a vigil, some staying longer than others.
As the day went on, more attended. The Police stood back, asking for people to move on after a reasonable period. Many complied. Happy balance, public pay respects , Covid legislation complied with.
What went wrong: people stopped complying, refused to leave. Turned against the obvious target of police present, verbal and active resistance. Now it’s become a protest, with chanting and singing. No longer a vigil, no longer Covid compliant.
What should the Police do, stand back? Allow Covid rules to be broken?
They can’t win.
Take action, get criticised.
Stand back, get criticised.
This won’t bother the Met, they’ve been here a thousand times before.
Their response was necessary to control aggressive resistance of the activists present, who, by the way, can be as violent and aggressive as any man. The media love it, the politicians wade in with absurd calls for the commissioner to quit, not wanting to be the one to go against popular opinion and support police.
Could be the vigil have been allowed with stewarding; possibly?
Would it have stopped it becoming a protest? We don’t know, but with the strength of feeling about women at risk coupled with the presence of activists and the target of police present, more than likely.
The Met responded on the night in a way that was proportionate to the threat they faced. All the media needed to really tip them were some children being Tasered...
Don’t like what happened last night? Then listen to and comply with requests from law enforcement agencies.

To really move the needle, father's need to have these frank discussions with their sons too
While I will make sure that my son respects women the fact that daughters need the chat is the fact that , sadly, psychopaths do exist and coupled with sexual/ controlling desires means that woman are more likely targets for such horrendous people.

had this been a man no one would care tbh double standards really dont stats show twice as men many men get killed than women do so why everyone up in arms .

Back
Top Bottom