National News Sarah Everard

unification

I’m sure we’ve all seen the desperately sad and upsetting story regarding the murder of Sarah Everard recently. I should add first of all that my thoughts are with her family and friends. I hope that justice when it comes is a form of solace to them even if it does not bring their loved one back.

Saturday night saw arrests and unsavoury scenes as a result of the Met Police’s (mis)handling of people gathering in Clapham Common. Plenty of people came and went throughout the day to pay their respects peacefully however that seemed to change from the evening onwards when a vigil was supposed to have been held but was cancelled by Reclaim
These Streets citing that they could not make it COVID compliant with police support. They asked people to stay home and light a candle on their doorsteps instead.

The whole event that took place sits uneasily with me. Whilst I can understand the frustration and upset, a pandemic is still on and rules are rules - people should have stayed home, especially when the organisation that had considered a vigil said it was not safe to take place. I get frustrated when I consider the privations I and many others have made in staying home as we believe it is the right thing to do to end the pandemic. The events that followed last night would not have happened had people heeded that request to stay home and hold the vigil. That they didn’t however does not justify the Met Police’s overzealous handling of the situation. It adds more fuel to the fire of the ‘defund the police’ brigade and accusations of looking out for their own. I can’t fathom that for a second. Wayne Couzens no more represents the police than Harold Shipman represented the NHS. Two wrongs certainly have not made a right last night.

This has shined a light on the safety and welfare of women overall. Casting aside the daft suggestions such as a curfew for men from fringe politicians, making sure society is safe for all is a topic that needs discussion.

Just my thoughts on the matter, chaps, and since there are a variety of views on here I thought this a better place to discuss them than face a lynch mob pile on with other social media platforms.

In terms of the protest - it`s illegal, expect the police to turn up and, when they do don`t start pushing, shoving etc etc or some folk will get nicked.

By contrast in Nottingham a perfectly peaceful, socially distanced event occurred, albeit illegal. No arrests, low key policing & point made.

Broadly speaking society is safe for all, however there are probably places many of us would avoid at night regardless of gender.

In terms of the protest - it`s illegal, expect the police to turn up and, when they do don`t start pushing, shoving etc etc or some folk will get nicked.

By contrast in Nottingham a perfectly peaceful, socially distanced event occurred, albeit illegal. No arrests, low key policing & point made.

Broadly speaking society is safe for all, however there are probably places many of us would avoid at night regardless of gender.
White male has spoken. Now everyone else SHUT UP or you'll suffer the consequences. You can't say you weren't warned.

A serving police officer has been charged with the murder of a young female who should have been safe to walk home at night. Tensions were running high, and instead of maintaining distance and keeping those at the vigil safe, the police intervened and dragged women away. Its an horrendous PR failure and was completely unnecessary.

Yes we have lockdown laws, and mass gatherings are banned for all the right reasons. But sometimes you have to understand the will of the people and this was an opportunity to show that we police by consent, and police in a way that is morally as well as legally just.

Protesters were obviously the wrong colour.......Police didnt seem to bothered when BLM rioters were massing in London and wrecking the place.....they knelt and bowed to them ........

While it was truly tragic what happened to Sarah Everard..... wasnt her decision to walk for 50 mins both to and from a friends house, during lockdown restrictions, in breach of government imposed lockdown restrictions? .... something that seems to have been conveniently missed by many?

While it was truly tragic what happened to Sarah Everard..... wasnt her decision to walk for 50 mins both to and from a friends house, during lockdown restrictions, in breach of government imposed lockdown restrictions? .... something that seems to have been conveniently missed by many?
Because it's completely irrelevant.

Sorry Sarge, if the murder of women in this way only happened during lockdown you would have a point.

Sorry Sarge, if the murder of women in this way only happened during lockdown you would have a point.
take your point...however, and I know its an unpopular perspective, if Sarah Everard had complied with lockdown restrictions, this discussion on this thread wouldn't be taking place?

Of course Im not saying that any woman should not be safe to walk the streets at any time.... the streets of the UK should be safe for anyone , male or female, to go about their legitimate business at any time of day or night

Fact remains, during lockdown restrictions a breach of said lockdown restrictions is an illegal act

Last edited:
A serving police officer has been charged with the murder of a young female who should have been safe to walk home at night. Tensions were running high, and instead of maintaining distance and keeping those at the vigil safe, the police intervened and dragged women away. Its an horrendous PR failure and was completely unnecessary.

Yes we have lockdown laws, and mass gatherings are banned for all the right reasons. But sometimes you have to understand the will of the people and this was an opportunity to show that we police by consent, and police in a way that is morally as well as legally just.
From the live footage a watched last night , a small number of feminist activist seem to of hijacked the event and ruined it for the ones who were rightly paying their respects

From the live footage a watched last night , a small number of feminist activist seem to of hijacked the event and ruined it for the ones who were rightly paying their respects
And you have to assume the police will have anticipated this and decided upon its tactics before the gathering and thought that pinning women to the floor would be an OK act.

White male has spoken. Now everyone else SHUT UP or you'll suffer the consequences. You can't say you weren't warned.
Strange response from you. Whether you agree with what they said or not, the tone of their post in terms of giving their perspective without being confrontational to others was absolutely fine in my view.

I've no idea on the demographics of the poster but their skin colour or gender should not stop them being able to have a view.

In terms of the post, my thoughts go out to her family.

take your point...however, and I know its an unpopular perspective, if Sarah Everard had complied with lockdown restrictions, this discussion on this thread wouldn't be taking place

Of course Im not saying that any woman should not be safe to walk the streets at any time.... the streets of the UK should be safe for anyone , male or female, to go about their legitimate business at any time of day or night

Fact remains, during lockdown restrictions a breach of said lockdown restrictions is an illegal act

Firstly, we don't know that a breach took place. If Sarah lived alone then she is entitled to have a "support bubble" which could include one other household. The distance between the two should be "reasonable" but that's obviously subjective.

Secondly, you comment that "if Sarah Everard had complied with lockdown restrictions, this discussion on this thread wouldn't be taking place" is completely unknown and actually pretty offensive and something I wouldn't expect from you.

Blaming this young woman (directly or indirectly) for being taken off the streets and murdered is sadly why these protests are needed. I work with criminals every day, and have heard a thousand pathetic excuses. "If she wasn't dressed like that then I wouldn't have raped her." "If she didn't wind me up all the time I wouldn't have kept hitting her." "If she hadn't breached covid regulations I wouldn't have murdered her!!!"

Can't you see how utterly wrong this is?

I did notice that the MSM fell for a dodgy video claiming Kate Middleton attended .....it was blatently NOT her and shame on the Daily mirror for putting it on their front page ha ha ha ha....muppets

Back
Top Bottom