Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed,. It won't be long before they decide that they want to reduce the number of teams in the Championship (PL2) to 18, meaning no promotion from league 1 for x number of years. Probably increasing the number of games L1 & L2 have to play. Maybe the conference will become L3.
Taking that a step further, I think Leagues 1&2 will merge with the conference and we’ll then have EFL (North) and EFL (South) to give it all that authentic non-league feel. And we can forget about any TV money. What TV company will be interested in that when theyve got PREM 2 to get all excited about?

After yesterdays vote am i right in my understanding that we can only bring in 2 more players (3 if/when Dickie leaves)? And does that include loans? If so what 2 positions are the ones we should prioritise? For me another attacking player and a defensive CM who can pass the ball. Then after Dickie’s departure another CB to replace.

If we look at a squad of 20 senior players then we currently have;

Eastwood
Stevens
Clare
Long
Moore
Atkinson
Dickie
Mous
Ruffels
Gorrin
Brannagan
Hanson
Henry
Sykes
Forde
Hall
Napa
Cooper
Taylor
Agyei

So potentially any players coming in need to be under 21 or will see others going out. I would guess that Napa and Hanson would go out on loan to allow for a midfielder and striker to come in. Dickie will likely go, which will still allow for a replacement, unless we go with Moore, Atkinson and Mous (with Long and Jones as back up). I would say that then leaves Hall, Forde and maybe Agyei who could also go depending on who else we got in.

Wait is the squad limit 20 now?! I thought it was going to be 22-23 at first? 20 is insane, that’s not even two players per position

I haven't seen it confirmed either way that it was included but like you I thought it was around 22 to begin with reducing to 20 next season.

I'm only going from the initial discussions that the squad limit would be 20. Still not been made very clear from what I've seen.

I think I read somewhere you can pay an extra bonus for cup wins. Should certainly focus player's minds on progressing as far as possible in FA Cup & League/Milk/Coca Cola/Carabao Cup.

If we look at a squad of 20 senior players then we currently have;

Eastwood
Stevens
Clare
Long
Moore
Atkinson
Dickie
Mous
Ruffels
Gorrin
Brannagan
Hanson
Henry
Sykes
Forde
Hall
Napa
Cooper
Taylor
Agyei

So potentially any players coming in need to be under 21 or will see others going out. I would guess that Napa and Hanson would go out on loan to allow for a midfielder and striker to come in. Dickie will likely go, which will still allow for a replacement, unless we go with Moore, Atkinson and Mous (with Long and Jones as back up). I would say that then leaves Hall, Forde and maybe Agyei who could also go depending on who else we got in.
My understanding is 22 this season, dropping to 20 next. Even so, I think ,given the developments, managers will have to be a lot more ruthless with what they consider to be dead wood - hence the PFA’s concerns. I’m not sure where that leaves the likes of Napa? Also, Hanson has done ok but hes probably on a fairly big wage thats eating into the wage cap and from now on, every first team squad place has a high premium, so I can see both being offloaded - if another club will have them or can afford them. Forde is probably a bit more ‘economical’ and is useful as a utility player. Agyei is a difficult one, he’s shown glimpses but, for his own sake as well as the clubs, needs to kick on this season. It really is going to be quite a ruthless environment for lower league players from now on, although I assume that paying up contracts to offload players will also come out of the wage cap budget.

What always troubles me in any vote is why would anyone abstain, i know this happens alot but you have one chance to have your say and for me abstaining is a cop out or do they just not have the intelligence to have an opinion.

I'm not just talking about this particular vote, it happens all the time in other walks of life too.

However in this vote the club who abstained (let's say Wigan) how can they possibly comment in the future about the wage cap, sure they will because hypocrisy is alive and well in football.

Just to add, when people are estimating how much we have left, don't forget to add Employer's NI, pension costs etc etc against the salaries already paid.

Y
What always troubles me in any vote is why would anyone abstain, i know this happens alot but you have one chance to have your say and for me abstaining is a cop out or do they just not have the intelligence to have an opinion.

I'm not just talking about this particular vote, it happens all the time in other walks of life too.

However in this vote the club who abstained (let's say Wigan) how can they possibly comment in the future about the wage cap, sure they will because hypocrisy is alive and well in football.
People abstain when they have an opinion but consider it unethical to influence the result. E.g. if they have a material conflict of interest, or there are circumstances where the outcome does not affect them, but affects other parties. Say, someone 2 months away from retiring might abstain from a vote that all employees should take a 10% pay cut for the next 3 years.
There is a dishonourable type of abstention too, though, like when an MP abstains from a vote because their personal opinion is opposite to the large majority of their constituency. That type of abstention is just a failed attempt at compromise.

Hey Jason,

Totally agreed and this is what I said at the start, but got shot down. At the start people were so use to the ways things were and didn't want to chat. We have seen how things HAVE to change.
I don’t think he’s saying he *wants* that to happen.

You can see a bit of jiggery pokery going to take place. Some odd Benefit in Kinds?
Is the old Mirror pension fund around to buy some houses for players to live in rent free?
Clubs doing deals with garages to provide players with cars - I suppose the dreaded Taxable benefit in kind would be counted as wages.
or Employing players' partners as admin staff.
Not that Football Clubs would ever think of doing such things, perhaps Mr Evans has some ideas.

(If correct) because Wigan are being run by administrators who by definition will not have long or even medium-term control of the club.

There is now no way we will swap hanson for kelly. Hansons wage (lets pretend is 4k) only counts towards 1.3k in the salary cap until He leaves/has a new contract. Selling him only frees up that 1.3k so if kelly came in on 4k to replace hanson we will then be allocating 4k (an extra 2.7k) of the cap budget.

All of the first team players currently contracted cost on paper £1300 a week. We have 20 at the moment. So we could send 4 out and have a weekly wage bill of around £20k, and still have £28k left to spend on players coming in. An extra couple of grand on players who are much better will be money well spent.

As an example to the above, with our current squad we have a recognised budget of £26k at present (20 x £1300). If we sent Napa out on loan and brought in Browne as a replacement, with us paying £7k of his wages, then out budget still only sits at £31.7k but with a much better side.

Swap Hanson for Kelly, someone like Findlay for Dickie and a couple of under 21's and we're still comfortable within budget.

I still think the PFA will have a big say in this. It will cause a huge cut in player salaries when their current contracts come to an end.

Not to even mention the huge advantage relegated teams from the championship will have in this division.

All of the first team players currently contracted cost on paper £1300 a week. We have 20 at the moment. So we could send 4 out and have a weekly wage bill of around £20k, and still have £28k left to spend on players coming in. An extra couple of grand on players who are much better will be money well spent.

This ruling seems to only really affect clubs once every players contract expires and they have to sign new contracts. Doesn't matter how much Brannagan is on currently, once the 3 years is up though his wage will affect the cap.

I would say its the players this is going to hurt the most, not the clubs. There will be alot of players use to earning big money having to take a huge pay cut or move abroad to chase the pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom