Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ever a salary cap was needed it should be in the Premier Lge, Not Lge1 and 2.

I just think it’s ridiculous, and we move closer to a Premier Lge 2.
But .... the PL clubs all make profits ( or most do)
The obvious answer to to distribute the money more evenly.
But that will never happen.
I am not sure that the PL will want to share their wealth with a PL 2?

That is an interesting point re Prem 2. What's in it for the Premier League as is?

good point that

Can somebody clarify the situation ref the wage cap
If we wanted Browne, Kelly, Grigg, O Donnel etc has the wage cap started now.
If so there are going to be a fair few players in the Championship whose careers are as good as over unless they take a massive wage drop. There must be agents all over the place trying to get a deal done this weekend
The wage cap is effective immediately. There will be an appeal I’m sure (probably by the PFA) but technically it’s locked in this very second. Which in theory means we (along with many other clubs and nearly all of the ones in L1) are now limited to either loans where the parent club is pretty much paying the whole lot, or players under the age of 21 as they don’t count towards the cap. This may explain why we are interested in the Irish lad O’Neill for example, as at age 20 he wouldn’t count towards the cap.

On paper the only way we can now sign a player over the age of 21 on a permanent contract is if our wage bill is under 2.5m per year, and I can’t see it with the players we have on the books. We must be very close. Even if Dickie is sold for several million pounds in the next few weeks, that seemingly won’t matter if we’re right at the threshold. We can’t reinvest that money or replace him if we’re already at or over budget.

Not sure an appeal will freeze any action - seemingly this went into effect the moment the votes were counted. Hopefully we’ve managed to work enough room that we still have a spot or two available, but it’s going to be tight.

Portsmouth CE Mark Catlin said ""In League One there are eight clubs I would consider big. They are the ones who didn’t support it."
is there a list of which clubs voted which way avail to view? or do you need to know a funny handshake or similar to gain access to EFL goings on?

They aren’t going to redistribute existing wealth. They’re going to create more wealth by incorporating the Championship (which is already something like the fourth or fifth most watched league in the world) and expanding the Premier League brand further to create even more lucrative rights deals in even more markets, while also getting rid of the feeling of relegation that so many foreign investors find off putting versus things like North American sports. The Championship changing its name to PL2 will automatically double its commercial value and the interest in that division will go through the roof in Asia in particular, which due to countries like India and China continually expanding in population while raising living standards are not going to go down in value.

It’s the same reason any massive companies ever merge. You’re asking why somebody would share their pie when they’re actually baking a second one.

So as far as I can work out we now can spend no more than £48,000 per week,, an average weekly wage of £1300 for league 1 players had been mentioned,so simple maths says we can employ 36 players, but can only have a smaller squad, makes very little sense to me in some aspects

They aren’t going to redistribute existing wealth. They’re going to create more wealth by incorporating the Championship (which is already something like the fourth or fifth most watched league in the world) and expanding the Premier League brand further to create even more lucrative rights deals in even more markets, while also getting rid of the feeling of relegation that so many foreign investors find off putting versus things like North American sports. The Championship changing its name to PL2 will automatically double its commercial value and the interest in that division will go through the roof in Asia in particular, which due to countries like India and China continually expanding in population while raising living standards are not going to go down in value.

It’s the same reason any massive companies ever merge. You’re asking why somebody would share their pie when they’re actually baking a second one.
Yes I get that.
But football has always had promotion and relegation.
And there is excluding Sunderland and Pompey ( and Hull and Charlton)
I get what you are saying but this is far from a done. deal
And I am still not sure whether the PL could really be bothered about PL 2 when they are doing pretty well themselves. Maybe a bigger imperative is trying to avoid the (inevitable?) Breakaway European league taking Liverpool, Man U, Man City out of the PL?

The salary cap might be beneficial to clubs like Wigan, helping them out of financial insanity...

If that’s correct that their income/revenue was 11.5 million and yet the wages were 19.4 million, then how come they weren’t pulled over the coals for breaching FFP rules.

Yes I get that.
But football has always had promotion and relegation.
And there is excluding Sunderland and Pompey ( and Hull and Charlton)
I get what you are saying but this is far from a done. deal
And I am still not sure whether the PL could really be bothered about PL 2 when they are doing pretty well themselves. Maybe a bigger imperative is trying to avoid the (inevitable?) Breakaway European league taking Liverpool, Man U, Man City out of the PL?
Or needing to strengthen / prop up the PL brand with more clubs and a second league in case the Euro breakaway happens. If you’re going to lose half a dozen big players your best shot at trying to offset that damage is by bringing in 20+ in their place.

All brands and businesses want to expand - always. Why on earth would the PL go “Nah, we’re alright thanks” when they could have the first and fourth most watched leagues in the world under the same umbrella to create something so big and powerful it could never be overtaken? On what planet does that ever, ever get turned down?

The Championship and the PL finished their seasons in full while the rest of us just called it quits and did the playoffs. The Championship and the PL both get to put their B Teams into the competition intended solely for L1 and L2. The Championship still isn’t guaranteed to have a wage cap at all, and if it does it’s going to be so out of proportion to L1 (especially when you consider the difference between L1 and L2) that it isn’t even funny. It has already broken away in all but name. It operates differently to the rest of us and in doing so often mirrors and sides with the PL.

If it looks like a duck, if it swims like a duck and if it quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. That’s all I’m saying.

If that’s correct that their income/revenue was 11.5 million and yet the wages were 19.4 million, then how come they weren’t pulled over the coals for breaching FFP rules.

The EFL are inept that’s why! They aren’t fit for purpose and I’m surprised there aren’t more people questioning their interrogatory.

Or needing to strengthen / prop up the PL brand with more clubs and a second league in case the Euro breakaway happens. If you’re going to lose half a dozen big players your best shot at trying to offset that damage is by bringing in 20+ in their place.

All brands and businesses want to expand - always. Why on earth would the PL go “Nah, we’re alright thanks” when they could have the first and fourth most watched leagues in the world under the same umbrella to create something so big and powerful it could never be overtaken? On what planet does that ever, ever get turned down?

The Championship and the PL finished their seasons in full while the rest of us just called it quits and did the playoffs. The Championship and the PL both get to put their B Teams into the competition intended solely for L1 and L2. The Championship still isn’t guaranteed to have a wage cap at all, and if it does it’s going to be so out of proportion to L1 (especially when you consider the difference between L1 and L2) that it isn’t even funny. It has already broken away in all but name. It operates differently to the rest of us and in doing so often mirrors and sides with the PL.

If it looks like a duck, if it swims like a duck and if it quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. That’s all I’m saying.
well put @RyanioBirdio ..... EFL administrators bend over and get shafted every time the PL tell em to IMO

The EFL are inept that’s why! They aren’t fit for purpose and I’m surprised there aren’t more people questioning their interrogatory.
Same as Bournemouth they spend 85% of their income And they get away with it.
would lobe to know how the EFL are going to monitor the salary cap.

Is their going to be a salary cap in the conference? Assuming that level of football survives and they don’t have one you could see players dropping down a level or two to earn more money, especially to clubs with money bags owners. Never be a better time to take your train set village football club into the football league.

So as far as I can work out we now can spend no more than £48,000 per week,, an average weekly wage of £1300 for league 1 players had been mentioned,so simple maths says we can employ 36 players, but can only have a smaller squad, makes very little sense to me in some aspects
So squad size currently 21, 21x1300 is 27300, meaning we have £2070 a week left to play with, but any other fees on top of wages will be taken out of the pot, that's how i understand it. Some of the squad are u21 so it will me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom