Salary cap confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to even mention the huge advantage relegated teams from the championship will have in this division.

This only becomes an advantage if these players (who have failed the previous year!) stay and make a difference. We saw with Sunderland that having players on top wages makes little difference, and can absolutely cripple a club if they stay down for another year or two.

Not to even mention the huge advantage relegated teams from the championship will have in this division.

They will have an advantage for the first year they come down. But if they stay down like Sunderland and Ipswich they might lose alot of players once contracts have ended. This will also stop them buying their way back up when it comes to recruiting new players.

As an example to the above, with our current squad we have a recognised budget of £26k at present (20 x £1300). If we sent Napa out on loan and brought in Browne as a replacement, with us paying £7k of his wages, then out budget still only sits at £31.7k but with a much better side.

Swap Hanson for Kelly, someone like Findlay for Dickie and a couple of under 21's and we're still comfortable within budget.
Not forward planning enough. Of those 20 players if 6 are out of contract next season then you have a seriously reduced budget to replace them with and 1 player on 7k!

As an example to the above, with our current squad we have a recognised budget of £26k at present (20 x £1300). If we sent Napa out on loan and brought in Browne as a replacement, with us paying £7k of his wages, then out budget still only sits at £31.7k but with a much better side.

Swap Hanson for Kelly, someone like Findlay for Dickie and a couple of under 21's and we're still comfortable within budget.
But it would only probably be League 2 and below teams who would take Napa or Hanson. L2 has its lower wage cap and so probably couldn't afford Napa, so we would need to cover some of his wages??? Would that come out of our weekly limit? If so that then further decreases available funds?
So many Qs.

It's absolutely fu**ed is what it is. When wycombe come down in 1 year they will be one of the big boys!

But it would only probably be League 2 and below teams who would take Napa or Hanson. L2 has its lower wage cap and so probably couldn't afford Napa, so we would need to cover some of his wages??? Would that come out of our weekly limit? If so that then further decreases available funds?
So many Qs

Good point that. If we were paying some of the wages, would the player also count to one of the max of 20 - 22 players?

So many Qs.
My guess would be that both players would only be valued at £1300 a week. So as long as that was covered then the rest of the wages would be paid by use but without counting against our total bill.

The more you look at numbers the less it makes sense, a lot of the fringe players has not done so far in their career to be valued at the 1300 per week figure(£67000pa) , bear in mind that a hospital consultant starts at £70000 as a comparison, i would hope that the actual wage structure reflects this

My understanding is 22 this season, dropping to 20 next. Even so, I think ,given the developments, managers will have to be a lot more ruthless with what they consider to be dead wood - hence the PFA’s concerns. I’m not sure where that leaves the likes of Napa? Also, Hanson has done ok but hes probably on a fairly big wage thats eating into the wage cap and from now on, every first team squad place has a high premium, so I can see both being offloaded - if another club will have them or can afford them. Forde is probably a bit more ‘economical’ and is useful as a utility player. Agyei is a difficult one, he’s shown glimpses but, for his own sake as well as the clubs, needs to kick on this season. It really is going to be quite a ruthless environment for lower league players from now on, although I assume that paying up contracts to offload players will also come out of the wage cap budget.

Basically, we need every player in the squad to have the ability to step straight into the first 11. We don't have the luxury of sending players out on loan, basically carrying players, who are not up to league 1 standards. Money that could go towards the wages of a genuine squad player.
That puts question marks over napa, Stevens and Jones.

This ruling seems to only really affect clubs once every players contract expires and they have to sign new contracts. Doesn't matter how much Brannagan is on currently, once the 3 years is up though his wage will affect the cap.

I would say its the players this is going to hurt the most, not the clubs. There will be alot of players use to earning big money having to take a huge pay cut or move abroad to chase the pennies.

The knock on effect will be in a few years time in terms of recruitment, I personally think the 2.5m is to low for L1 maybe 3m-3.5m max would of been more realistic as an average of £1,300 seems very low for this level

does anyone know the the figures for an average league 1 player over the past 2/3 season?

The knock on effect will be in a few years time in terms of recruitment, I personally think the 2.5m is to low for L1 maybe 3m-3.5m max would of been more realistic as an average of £1,300 seems very low for this level

does anyone know the the figures for an average league 1 player over the past 2/3 season?

Yes I reckon its too low. I would of thought most league 1 players would be on atleast 2k a week. Still a decent bit of money, but then you have to take in account its a short lived career. This ruling just means if the youth coming through haven't broke in to the first team by the age of 21 they don't stand a chance. Basically every team won't be carrying anyone they don't want and above 21 years of age. Backward step in my opinion.

The best approach from the EFL would be stagger the cap over a number of years to help naturally bring costs down and work with the PFA on how to apply it. Big changes like this should not be rushed through and I am not surprised that the PFA aren't happy - the EFL have arbitrarily limited in the incomes of out of contract players and those who may move clubs with little notice or care. Most footballers have a short window to make their money and this rule is not helpful to them, or their families.

Perhaps one positive is agent's fees counting against the cap now. Going to be a lot of sweaty palms out there as clubs can really screw down agents fees now.

A hard cost framework would have been a better way to go - enabling clubs with bigger incomes to spend, but with regular check in points so that clubs can't do funny business.

Can the cap go up? Can it go down? Who arbitrates that? How independent will they be? Will the players union be partners in this move? How will the EFL monitor and report the cap? Will the public get visibility of club spending?

So many questions...

The best approach from the EFL would be stagger the cap over a number of years to help naturally bring costs down and work with the PFA on how to apply it. Big changes like this should not be rushed through and I am not surprised that the PFA aren't happy - the EFL have arbitrarily limited in the incomes of out of contract players and those who may move clubs with little notice or care. Most footballers have a short window to make their money and this rule is not helpful to them, or their families.

Perhaps one positive is agent's fees counting against the cap now. Going to be a lot of sweaty palms out there as clubs can really screw down agents fees now.

A hard cost framework would have been a better way to go - enabling clubs with bigger incomes to spend, but with regular check in points so that clubs can't do funny business.

Can the cap go up? Can it go down? Who arbitrates that? How independent will they be? Will the players union be partners in this move? How will the EFL monitor and report the cap? Will the public get visibility of club spending?

So many questions...

The Agent fees but annoys me. Rather than directly regulate and control Agents they've taken the cowardly route and put the responsibility on to the clubs. It is a cop out imo.

And the PFA aren't partners as they haven't been consulted and have started the legal process by putting in papers for arbitration.

The whole process has been a rushed bodge job rather than implement it from next season with proper planning etc.

The Agent fees but annoys me. Rather than directly regulate and control Agents they've taken the cowardly route and put the responsibility on to the clubs. It is a cop out imo.

And the PFA aren't partners as they haven't been consulted and have started the legal process by putting in papers for arbitration.

The whole process has been a rushed bodge job rather than implement it from next season with proper planning etc.
If the players had more faith in the PFA they would use them instead of agents.

I can understand the agent's fee thing. It would be all too easy for the agent's fees to mushroom and then for the agents to find some pretext to refund money to the player, set up a trust or something. A loophole that would have been exploited ruthlessly.

While having very grave reservations about his salary cap, I have to say that the clubs have brought it upon themselves to a large degree - and indeed the majority have been, in this Covid world, forced to vote FOR it. They have completely failed to self-regulate, have tried to avoid/evade/mitigate any spending restrictions put on them, spent more than their income and behaved very irresponsibly. I feel more sorry for the young players who have started on a career and now the football industry has changed to a degree that means they will be stocking supermarket shelves instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom