General Rules Changes - Your Opinion

Add

If the referee stops the game for a player down injured, said player must be attended to by the trainer and must leave the field of played prior to the restart.

From a goalkick, once the ball has left the penalty box, the goalkeeper cannot subsequently play the ball until it has been touched by an opponent - indirect free kick.

If a foul is committed, no player from the offending side is permitted to pick up or otherwise hold the ball so as to delay the restart of play - yellow card.

When the ball goes out of play for a throw in, the first player of the side in possession that touches the ball must take the throw in - throw in reversed.
Also another one is at a penalty the fouled player takes the kick like in basketball

Last edited:
Firstly. Apply the existing rules correctly. This may need the FA to remove ambiguity over decisions.

Secondly. VAR should be applied as a review system, similar to cricket.
A manager starts with two appeals. If they believe the decision is wrong, they notify the 4th official who sends it to VAR.
If the complaint is upheld, the decision is overturned and they don’t use up a review.

They started actually adding the correct amount of time on for time wasting at the beginning of the season, we saw a few 10+ minute stoppage games, then they gave up and we’ve gone back to every first half seeing 1-3 mins added and every second half seeing 3-6 mins.

If you just actually added the time on that teams wasted, every time, including time wasted in added time, they’d soon stop. But you have to do it consistently for a while.

This is a recurring theme with new rules, and ‘clamping down’ on existing ones. It’s almost as though they get bored of them part way through the season.
I agree completely about sticking to adding time, every time. If properly AND consistently enforced the players and managers would soon realise that there is no benefit to be gained.

This is a recurring theme with new rules, and ‘clamping down’ on existing ones. It’s almost as though they get bored of them part way through the season.
I agree completely about sticking to adding time, every time. If properly AND consistently enforced the players and managers would soon realise that there is no benefit to be gained.
They've also seemingly forgotten about the kicking the ball away anywhere being a yellow card. There were some good rules introduced at the start of the season and they've all disappeared without a trace now.

It reminds me of when they introduced the respect campaign about 15 years ago to try and promote better behaviour towards refs. That all fizzled out after a few months despite having some good ideas.

They've also seemingly forgotten about the kicking the ball away anywhere being a yellow card. There were some good rules introduced at the start of the season and they've all disappeared without a trace now.
We'll see if this is the case against Wycombe, as Simon Mather is in charge. :eek:

I'd start by enforcing the rules they already have in place but don't.

Such as:

Booking players for surrounding the ref.
Book players for time wasting
Actually punish diving
Punish the keeper if they hold on to the ball too long

I don't see the point in bringing in new rules when they struggle to enforce the current ones!

^^^^ nailed it.

I would add blatant shirt pulling to the "things that are missed" most and need the current rules applying.

A rule I'd bring in is the keeper cannot leave his area unless the ball is in the opposition half.

It isn't so much a problem at L1 level, but how often do we see goals/situations where there's a through ball and a player runs onto it, runs down on goal 1v1 vs the keeper anymore? Most keepers spend half the game outside their box just hoofing away any through ball or ball over the top.

Bit of an odd rule I know but in terms of the entertainment element of football, it would definitely help.

Add

If the referee stops the game for a player down injured, said player must be attended to by the trainer and must leave the field of play prior to the restart.

From a goalkick, once the ball has left the penalty box, the goalkeeper cannot subsequently play the ball until it has been touched by an opponent - indirect free kick.

If a foul is committed, no player from the offending side is permitted to pick up or otherwise hold the ball so as to delay the restart of play - yellow card.

When the ball goes out of play for a throw in, the first player of the side in possession that touches the ball must take the throw in - throw in reversed.

3rd is excellent and inarguable.

I have changed my mind on sin bins. While I think they could be a good idea in principle, I can just imagine how some of the recent refs we have had would have used their blue card. It has the possibility of making the reffing even more farcical than what we often see already

As has been said above, just enforce the rules that are already there - just making up new ones that get quietly dropped after a few weeks does nobody any favours!

New rule - no goalkeepers over 5ft 10.

Would increase the reliance on attributes like agility, reflexes, etc rather than keepers having an advantage through natural reach. Would also potentially increase the number of goals scored from corners (keepers not just catching/punching most of them which seems to happen now!)

Would increase the reliance on attributes like agility, reflexes, etc rather than keepers having an advantage through natural reach. Would also potentially increase the number of goals scored from corners (keepers not just catching/punching most of them which seems to happen now!)
Idea seconded by...

1712043832570.png

I quite like this idea (although surely making the goals a couple of feet wider and a foot higher might have the same positive effect? You could adopt the same philosophy in other sports: improve the terminally dull sport of basketball by putting the hoops five feet higher, improve F1 by making them use pedal cars and improve golf by making the holes smaller than the balls. ;)

I quite like this idea (although surely making the goals a couple of feet wider and a foot higher might have the same positive effect? You could adopt the same philosophy in other sports: improve the terminally dull sport of basketball by putting the hoops five feet higher, improve F1 by making them use pedal cars and improve golf by making the holes smaller than the balls. ;)
:ROFLMAO:

Smaller keepers and a rule where they can't be outside of their box while the ball is in the opposition half. Stop all this 'sweeper keeper' nonsense. It's killed the beauty of counter-attacks and through balls/balls over the top. Does my head in watching Ederson and the likes just hoof the ball out while half-way up his own half everytime the opposition try to get in behind.

This one's a bit out there, but get rid of draws. You either win or you lose. Too often do we see teams 'playing for a draw', like we saw Arsenal do at Man City at the weekend. They didn't *need* to win that game, so did little to even try. Boring as f**K. Getting rid of draws forces teams to actually try to play football.

Football's getting a bit stale - time to spice it up a bit!

:ROFLMAO:

Smaller keepers and a rule where they can't be outside of their box while the ball is in the opposition half. Stop all this 'sweeper keeper' nonsense. It's killed the beauty of counter-attacks and through balls/balls over the top. Does my head in watching Ederson and the likes just hoof the ball out while half-way up his own half everytime the opposition try to get in behind.

This one's a bit out there, but get rid of draws. You either win or you lose. Too often do we see teams 'playing for a draw', like we saw Arsenal do at Man City at the weekend. They didn't *need* to win that game, so did little to even try. Boring as f**K. Getting rid of draws forces teams to actually try to play football.

Football's getting a bit stale - time to spice it up a bit!
Or how about awarding fractional 'goals' for corners? Say a corner is 1/20th of a goal. So if if team gets 20 corners, they are awarded a goal - and of course if the score is drawn at full time, then the corner count comes into play to decide the result? And if that doesn't separate them, the team that committed the least fouls wins. And if that doesn't work, play extra time - start off with five a side and one player from each team has to go off every 2 minutes. First goal wins. Or get the player's mums there and the first team that has a player called in for their tea loses?

It reminds me of when they introduced the respect campaign about 15 years ago to try and promote better behaviour towards refs. That all fizzled out after a few months despite having some good ideas.
think there was someone in the Prem got a 2nd yellow for kicking the ball away at the weekend.

I think the only way to save the game at this point is to introduce a multi-ball system. Every time 15mins elapses without a goal an additional ball is introduced, it stays active until somebody scores with it, at which point it is removed from play. Only the original ball (which is changed so it is gold in colour) stays throughout the game and if used to score a goal you get a standard kick-off to restart - score with a multi-ball and the game just continues with any remaining balls in play.

I think the only way to save the game at this point is to introduce a multi-ball system. Every time 15mins elapses without a goal an additional ball is introduced, it stays active until somebody scores with it, at which point it is removed from play. Only the original ball (which is changed so it is gold in colour) stays throughout the game and if used to score a goal you get a standard kick-off to restart - score with a multi-ball and the game just continues with any remaining balls in play.
I think your idea is a good starting point but could be improved further if the additional balls were fired onto the pitch out of a cannon. To keep the game fair, each team have to elect one of their starting 11 to be the cannon firer, but that player will have to play in a special kit that resembles a medieval soldier.

I just hope nobody from the FA is reading our helpful suggestions ...

Generally speaking I detest all the law changes (especially when as @Steve Gilbert said they don't even enforce the laws they already have), one person kick offs for example just a pointless change I still don't understand the benefit of. These feckers just make change for the sake of change to justify their salaries. VAR has also allowed laws to be enforced in a way they could never be before - leading to goals disallowed over an offside pube, never how the spirit of the law was intended.

I would scrap VAR immediately but the most bizarre thing for me is slow motion replays, totally distorting how the game is played and making challenges look worse than they are.

Why not enforce time-wasting laws (which they did for about two weeks this season)

The only idea I quite like is having slightly larger pitches and goals (In the FL at least) one thing I find odd, is how in the ultra detailed PL is that the pitches are different sizes. They should be a standardised size (say the wembley pitch size) although of course this would be impossible in pre-existing stadiums.

I do genuinely like the idea of goals being a little larger to reflect the increase in human size and professionalisation of the game since the game was invented.

This thread for me has a big overlap with the "Is modern football just rubbish" thread.

Back
Top Bottom