Manager/Coach Roy Keane passion, leadership, drive.

I must confess that the idea of forcing some of our squad to explain themselves to Roy Keane after training/matchdays has some appeal (OK, mostly Josh Murphy......)

But he hasn't actually managed a football game for more than 12 years! The chance of him wanting to now throw himself into a League One relegation fight = 0.00%

I've heard a lot of decent suggestions in candidates for the managerial role to move this club forward, however this will stir a few feathers but to me makes perfect sense.
Our immediate predicament is to halt the slide that is gathering pace at an alarming rate.
A strong character required.(Roy)
A former dressing room leader that commands respect and doesn't pussy foot around.(Roy)
A winner in every sense of the word and does not accept second best. (Roy)
He has great contacts and he has a track record guiding Sunderland to the premiership.
Any thoughts??
Ended Alfie Haaland's career with an intentional 2 footed challenge.... complete wa#*er

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of decent suggestions in candidates for the managerial role to move this club forward, however this will stir a few feathers but to me makes perfect sense.
Our immediate predicament is to halt the slide that is gathering pace at an alarming rate.
A former dressing room leader that commands respect and doesn't pussy foot around.(Roy)
He has great contacts and he has a track record guiding Sunderland to the premiership.
Any thoughts??
No thanks, as Paul Cannell said, he's slightly preferable to Fowler.

Any thoughts??
Not for me, and odd and complex individual.

Never seems to hang around at a club as manager long either.

Im not sure if Roy Keane likes Roy Keane
As @Ox5OUFC mentioned earlier, he ended another players career, and as far as I'm aware, he has shown f@#k all remorse about it, and is now getting paid a shed-load of money to give us his views whilst the media massage his ego by constantly reminding us how much of a big man he was for calling ouy Vierra in the tunnel. The bloke is an absolute tool.

Sorry, rant ovet, but I REALLY don't like Roy Keane......

Any thoughts??

As an Ipswich Town fan, this would be a disastrous appointment for you. Granted, he hasn’t had a management job for 12 years so there’s a chance he’s done some self-evaluation but based off his time with us, he would be an unsuitable choice.

When he came in, we had just finished 9th and had a big budget, so a top six finish was a realistic target. In his first full season, we failed to win until late October and finished 15th. He was sacked the following January having guided us to 20th.

I can see the appeal of a strong character to sort the dressing room out, but it’s a quality that only works to a point. With Keane’s playing career, he’d command respect more than your average League One boss and be able to get away with blasting the players but at Town he often overstepped the line between tough love and unpleasantness. He got rid of numerous players he had inherited after fallings out and replaced them with worse ones. Even at Sunderland, where he did well, there are tales from the likes of Liam Lawrence about his bizarre and erratic behaviour.

I’d also question how relevant his contact book will be, having been out of the game for twelve years, minus 2 spells as Martin O’Neill’s assistant. And with his job as a Sky Premier League pundit, I’m not sure how much League One football he watches anyway, so you’d need to appoint a new head of recruitment and give them almost total control. Although having said that, Keane’s lack of knowledge and contacts may not be a bad thing, because the majority of our signings during his tenure came from United, Celtic and Sunderland and by and large they were awful.

Tactically, the football is dire as well. He took over a team which had almost reached the play-offs playing nice football. With money to spend and a decent base to build from, it seemed logical to continue this style and add a few quality players. Instead, he took a hammer to it and went for hoofball.

I’m more open to the idea of direct football than most (Mick McCarthy did it with us out of necessity due to having a much lower budget than Keane did and performed significantly better) but to do it out of choice with a squad that wasn’t suited to it was bizarre and indicates he’d probably do similar if he gets another job. He also went through a weird phase of playing 4 central defenders across the back line and regularly rotating all 3 goalkeepers.

This is a niche point but there were plenty of references in his autobiography about Ipswich being too nice as a club, without the grit and edge of Man United, Celtic and Sunderland. If he still has this issue then Oxford would also be an environment he’d struggle in.

If I could give one positive, it’s that he started very strongly at Sunderland and did the same with us when he arrived, albeit that was 2 games before the end of the season. For a team in your position, that’s surely a big consideration in the managerial search.

Beyond that, I really can’t offer any reasons why Keane would be a good appointment. He’s the type of person who understandably seems like a good option due to his TV persona but the reality is very different.

As an Ipswich Town fan, this would be a disastrous appointment for you. Granted, he hasn’t had a management job for 12 years so there’s a chance he’s done some self-evaluation but based off his time with us, he would be an unsuitable choice.

When he came in, we had just finished 9th and had a big budget, so a top six finish was a realistic target. In his first full season, we failed to win until late October and finished 15th. He was sacked the following January having guided us to 20th.

I can see the appeal of a strong character to sort the dressing room out, but it’s a quality that only works to a point. With Keane’s playing career, he’d command respect more than your average League One boss and be able to get away with blasting the players but at Town he often overstepped the line between tough love and unpleasantness. He got rid of numerous players he had inherited after fallings out and replaced them with worse ones. Even at Sunderland, where he did well, there are tales from the likes of Liam Lawrence about his bizarre and erratic behaviour.

I’d also question how relevant his contact book will be, having been out of the game for twelve years, minus 2 spells as Martin O’Neill’s assistant. And with his job as a Sky Premier League pundit, I’m not sure how much League One football he watches anyway, so you’d need to appoint a new head of recruitment and give them almost total control. Although having said that, Keane’s lack of knowledge and contacts may not be a bad thing, because the majority of our signings during his tenure came from United, Celtic and Sunderland and by and large they were awful.

Tactically, the football is dire as well. He took over a team which had almost reached the play-offs playing nice football. With money to spend and a decent base to build from, it seemed logical to continue this style and add a few quality players. Instead, he took a hammer to it and went for hoofball.

I’m more open to the idea of direct football than most (Mick McCarthy did it with us out of necessity due to having a much lower budget than Keane did and performed significantly better) but to do it out of choice with a squad that wasn’t suited to it was bizarre and indicates he’d probably do similar if he gets another job. He also went through a weird phase of playing 4 central defenders across the back line and regularly rotating all 3 goalkeepers.

This is a niche point but there were plenty of references in his autobiography about Ipswich being too nice as a club, without the grit and edge of Man United, Celtic and Sunderland. If he still has this issue then Oxford would also be an environment he’d struggle in.

If I could give one positive, it’s that he started very strongly at Sunderland and did the same with us when he arrived, albeit that was 2 games before the end of the season. For a team in your position, that’s surely a big consideration in the managerial search.

Beyond that, I really can’t offer any reasons why Keane would be a good appointment. He’s the type of person who understandably seems like a good option due to his TV persona but the reality is very different.
Great analysis. I had the (mis)fortune to be invited to an Ipswich game (v Sheffield Wed) during the Keane era, and it was one of the most depressing evenings I've spent at football. The football was dire, and the Ipswich fans weren't happy. The friend who invited me to the game didn't have anything complimentary to say about Keane, and it was pretty clear the club was going nowhere under him. His win % record at Ipswich was worse than Karl Robinson's at Oxford and, given that he's not quoted by the bookies as being in the running for the OUFC job and is probably happy doing tv work, I'm not sure why he deserves a thread of his own. He should have been allowed to sink without trace in the 'next manager of our club' thread. Roy Keane? Not keen.

Great analysis. I had the (mis)fortune to be invited to an Ipswich game (v Sheffield Wed) during the Keane era, and it was one of the most depressing evenings I've spent at football. The football was dire, and the Ipswich fans weren't happy. The friend who invited me to the game didn't have anything complimentary to say about Keane, and it was pretty clear the club was going nowhere under him. His win % record at Ipswich was worse than Karl Robinson's at Oxford and, given that he's not quoted by the bookies as being in the running for the OUFC job and is probably happy doing tv work, I'm not sure why he deserves a thread of his own. He should have been allowed to sink without trace in the 'next manager of our club' thread. Roy Keane? Not keen.
I think that game you’re referring to was the 0-0 in late 2009, which was broadcast on the BBC. Wednesday went down that year but we were still just as bad as they were.

Keane probably set us back a decade. He inherited a squad a few shrewd signings from the Premier League and left one which was more expensive and far less effective. Our forum has regular debates about our worst ever manager. Paul Lambert and Paul Hurst are both strong contenders but Keane’s name is the one that comes up most often.

I agree that he probably wouldn’t fancy the job anyway. His salary at Sky and ITV is probably higher than that of a League One manager with none of the stress involved.

The idea that we're even talking about him is utterly bizarre.

Anyone fancy starting an Eric Cantona thread. He would be epic (epique?).

Keane, in reality, is about as likely as Rooney being considered for or manager( or DoF) job at Oxford United

Back
Top Bottom