National News Rishi Sunak

‘Tantrum’? Good grief. These are serious times.

Well overdue speech by the PM. And fair play to Starmer for agreeing with the sentiments expressed.
Live by the sword die by the sword.
He’s panicking about a legitimacy of what they are doing, and he’s panicking because he can see that outside factors could end his party.
He panicked that the democracy that they have run roughshod over for years currently looks like it’s set up for the rich.

How he can talk about “our shared values” like that when his party has none is almost comical. It’s almost as though he has no grip on reality.

If you treat people in the way that successive Tory governments have then people get fed up and turn.

University courses are typically 3-4 years, in the grand scheme of things, that is no time at all.

I would also say it's pretty blindly obvious what professions we will need in 10 years, and most of it will revolve around Life Sciences, Engineering and Technology, so you develop an education strategy that prepares the workforce of tomorrow for that, instead we've had the same system for years.

There already is a "Golden Triangle" for Life Sciences..... Oxford, Cambridge & London/The South East. £108 billion turnover in 2022.

Engineering and Tech is also a booming sector from Medical to F1.

What irks me is the drive that "everyone goes to Uni or FE" without a mention of practical apprenticeships such as carpentry, electricians, plumbing etc etc.

Structured education isn`t for everyone, but if you tell a youngster from a hard background that they can get into a 3 year apprenticeship could see them on £30-£35k then it gives them hope and something to work towards.

There already is a "Golden Triangle" for Life Sciences..... Oxford, Cambridge & London/The South East. £108 billion turnover in 2022.

What irks me is the drive that "everyone goes to Uni or FE" without a mention of practical apprenticeships such as carpentry, electricians, plumbing etc etc.

Structured education isn`t for everyone, but if you tell a youngster from a hard background that they can get into a 3 year apprenticeship could see them on £30-£35k then it gives them hope and something to work towards.
That's 14 years of Tory rule for you.

That’s a huge point EY. There is a problem around respect for technical and vocational education, and too many people feeling compelled to take degrees that will not serve them well.
I don’t know if it’s still the case, but Germany always seemed to have it nailed, with the apprentice-journeyman-master track being enough to get you to board level at major manufacturers, and technical qualifications holding substantial respect across society.

Live by the sword die by the sword.
He’s panicking about a legitimacy of what they are doing, and he’s panicking because he can see that outside factors could end his party.
He panicked that the democracy that they have run roughshod over for years currently looks like it’s set up for the rich.

How he can talk about “our shared values” like that when his party has none is almost comical. It’s almost as though he has no grip on reality.

If you treat people in the way that successive Tory governments have then people get fed up and turn.

So you fancy a bit of violence do you?

3 Labour , I think, female MPs currently have permanent security cover provided. Countless death threats have been issued to
MPs of all hues.

These are serious times. And beyond political willy waving.

So you fancy a bit of violence do you?

3 Labour , I think, female MPs currently have permanent security cover provided. Countless death threats have been issued to
MPs of all hues.

These are serious times. And beyond political willy waving.
I absolutely do not want violence. I want a government that doesn’t pander to its mates at the expense of the nation.

They have treated the electorate with contempt and don’t like it when they turn on them.

I’m glad you’ve woken up to it being serious.

Then there is the Daily Mail (iirc) with the 'Enemies of the People' headline aimed at the Supreme Court Judges.

The regular divisive language used by Tory Ministers and senior Party Officials such as Braverman, Anderson etc etc.

Does anyone actually buy/read newspapers these days? Let alone be lured to make the purchase by a banner headline?

As was said a long time ago the only true thing printed in newspapers is the date.

Does anyone actually buy/read newspapers these days? Let alone be lured to make the purchase by a banner headline?

As was said a long time ago the only true thing printed in newspapers is the date.
Believe me the billionaire owners wouldn't be ploughing money in if didn't reach the intended audience.

People read them online and individual articles get spread via social media as well as the paper version. The Mailonline and Daily Mail websites have 191 million+ unique visitors per month worldwide*. In the UK, the Daily Mail website had a total (not unique) visits of 380.4m for Jan 2024 which was the largest^.

*From the Daily Mail.
^From similarweb.com summary of media online stats in the UK (don't know how reliable but seems reasonable compared to the Daily Mail's own claims.

Last edited:
People read them online and individual articles get spread via social media as well as the paper version. The Mailonline and Daily Mail websites have 191 million+ unique visitors per month worldwide*. In the UK, the Daily Mail website had a total (not unique) visits of 380.4m for Jan 2024 which was the largest^.

*From the Daily Mail.
^From similarweb.com summary of media online stats in the UK (don't know how reliable but seems reasonable compared to the Daily Mail's own claims.
And it will only get worse - the Mail are about to paywall most of its content - but the headlines/buylines/below the line will still be free and open. So even more likelihood of people just going on headlines.

University courses are typically 3-4 years, in the grand scheme of things, that is no time at all.

I would also say it's pretty blindly obvious what professions we will need in 10 years, and most of it will revolve around Life Sciences, Engineering and Technology, so you develop an education strategy that prepares the workforce of tomorrow for that, instead we've had the same system for years.
Trouble is, a lot of young people can't afford to not be earning for 3/4 years. You can work part time but you're unlikely to earn much (often not even enough to cover expenses), and your quality of life isn't great either.

I know the retort to that may be 'people with degrees earn more over their lifetime', but that isn't helpful when most young people need money *now*.

Typical politicians.

Take anything in todays budget with a pinch of salt… nothing to do with sustainability, but more a pre election throw of the dice.

This is why I get so frustrated.

But, a reduction puts more money in peoples pockets right? Don’t forget the backlash when it was increased 1.25% points.

Personally, I would have preferred to stick and reinvest.

Typical politicians.

Take anything in todays budget with a pinch of salt… nothing to do with sustainability, but more a pre election throw of the dice.

This is why I get so frustrated.

But, a reduction puts more money in peoples pockets right? Don’t forget the backlash when it was increased 1.25% points.

Personally, I would have preferred to stick and reinvest.

Iirc, the NI cut reduces the impact of the fiscal drag but could be wrong.

From what JH was saying the days of NI are numbered and it will switch to a single tax.
Class 2 went, Class 1 is shrinking. Its a bit like pay grades in the public sector as the bottom end is dissolved by pay increases and increments.

Usual "short term" financial plan, behest of both parties, looking at a political map rather than long term planning.

Still those in work gain a bit, non-doms got poked, Multiple dwellings relief is gone, energy levy extended. British ISA & Savings bond, £2.5billion to the NHS to "fix waiting lists" (excuse me while I laugh - a lot), and an increase in public sector productivity. @Sheik djibouti ;)

Back
Top Bottom