National News Rishi Sunak

I can't help but shake the feeling Cameron is going to be the Tory candidate for this election. He's getting some oddly positive press, people will see pre-2016 through rose tinted glasses (horrible though even that time was), he'll think he's got unfinished business, and he's probably the wildest of the remaining options for an already half buried party.

...and his hands are incredibly soft. Seriously, those things are like meaty pillows. Having shook his hand back when he was just an MP I'm convinced he's never lifted anything but a pen in his lifetime.

I can't help but shake the feeling Cameron is going to be the Tory candidate for this election. He's getting some oddly positive press, people will see pre-2016 through rose tinted glasses (horrible though even that time was), he'll think he's got unfinished business, and he's probably the wildest of the remaining options for an already half buried party.

...and his hands are incredibly soft. Seriously, those things are like meaty pillows. Having shook his hand back when he was just an MP I'm convinced he's never lifted anything but a pen in his lifetime.

It's too late to save the outcome of the election, but Cameron would be a safer option to minimise harm and to rebuild "traditional Conservative values" than most other candidates who appear determined to out nasty each other.

I was having a similar conversation with a work colleague today and laughed at his suggestion. On reflection, it’s not the most outlandish thought.

As for his pillow hands, I’m sure I saw footage of him lifting parcels at a food bank! Tell me I didn’t make that up!

I hope we’re not heading for a repeat of 2016 and another Parliament that can’t make a difference .

You didn’t listen to Rachel Reeves at the weekend then?

I shouldn’t expect the next parliament to be making any significant difference.

People are going to need a lot more patience to allow this mess to be turned around.

You didn’t listen to Rachel Reeves at the weekend then?

I shouldn’t expect the next parliament to be making any significant difference.

People are going to need a lot more patience to allow this mess to be turned around.
When Kuenssburg kept asking Reeves where are you going to get the money from now the Tories have done the granddaddy of flip flops on nonDoms I'm amazed Reeves didn't say something along the lines of 'I'm not giving the Tories any more ideas to steal?!'. Bit of a missed open goal in my book.

When Kuenssburg kept asking Reeves where are you going to get the money from now the Tories have done the granddaddy of flip flops on nonDoms I'm amazed Reeves didn't say something along the lines of 'I'm not giving the Tories any more ideas to steal?!'. Bit of a missed open goal in my book.

Haha.

Of course, the tax being raised going to UK workers does create a huge problem, given that Labour were going to use it for the NHS.

Would have preferred her to say Labour will reverse the recent budget announcements (given that they have said people will be worse off as a result of it) and reallocate funds back to NHS, as was their intention.

I think they will though. This mess doesnt get turned around overnight. To be honest I'm not really sure how you begin to tackle it
Oh no, you're already eating it up 😭 this is why we don't break out of the two party cycle.

We've got 5 years of Cameron-esque "we've inherited the worst economy since..." to listen to, followed by convenient "green shoots of growth" at election time, followed by total collapse in their second term.

Labour is already watering down its flagship environmental promises and will water down the rest when they win. How can we not see these obvious patterns?

Oh no, you're already eating it up 😭 this is why we don't break out of the two party cycle.

We've got 5 years of Cameron-esque "we've inherited the worst economy since..." to listen to, followed by convenient "green shoots of growth" at election time, followed by total collapse in their second term.

Labour is already watering down its flagship environmental promises and will water down the rest when they win. How can we not see these obvious patterns?

I think we can all see them

That's just politics.

Ah, but that's a different issue. It will take years to sort out this mess - that's my point. Whether Labour will have the policies to do it is another question. I worry that they will be a much watered down version of what I want to see but maybe I'll get surprised

In fairness, 5 year terms do create short term isms that get us in to a lot of these problems.

It will never happen, but we really need to start looking at greater cross bench consensus on major issues like the NHS, defense, criminal justice, climate change and social injustice. All would benefit from a 20 year plan and would have the potential of engaging an entire generation in real change.

Breaking away from the two party approach could help in that it would create more coalitions which could in turn create more collective thinking, as long as it wasn't a repeat of the Tory/Lib Dems where the Lib Dems were bullied and blamed by the Tories!

In fairness, 5 year terms do create short term isms that get us in to a lot of these problems.

It will never happen, but we really need to start looking at greater cross bench consensus on major issues like the NHS, defense, criminal justice, climate change and social injustice. All would benefit from a 20 year plan and would have the potential of engaging an entire generation in real change.

Breaking away from the two party approach could help in that it would create more coalitions which could in turn create more collective thinking, as long as it wasn't a repeat of the Tory/Lib Dems where the Lib Dems were bullied and blamed by the Tories!
Cant argue against any of that

The trouble with both parties is most of their policies seem to be attempts to play on the thoughts/feelings of the public for votes, rather than what's actually good for the country.

Ie, 'We're going to do 'X' because we feel 'X' way about it', rather than 'We're going to do 'X' because there's evidence/it's proven to bring better long term outcomes'.

Politics has always had an element of emotion involved but it just seems to be getting worse - how people feel is being put above what's actually beneficial.

The trouble with both parties is most of their policies seem to be attempts to play on the thoughts/feelings of the public for votes, rather than what's actually good for the country.

Ie, 'We're going to do 'X' because we feel 'X' way about it', rather than 'We're going to do 'X' because there's evidence/it's proven to bring better long term outcomes'.

Politics has always had an element of emotion involved but it just seems to be getting worse - how people feel is being put above what's actually beneficial.

Nah. Same as it ever was. All around the globe.

The delivery mode may change, but the strategy doesn't. There was no golden age of electioneering or politics.

Maybe because doing what is right does not equate to doing what is popular.

The electorate are largely a selfish bunch and have been conditioned that way to think about what's in the own bank account/garage/home ahead of anything else. Therefore, gimmicky quick win stuff that resonates on an individual level wins out.

Getting people to realise that that choices they make affect more than just them (ie you might be winning, but others are losing as a result, as opposed to you can still be a winner, but not to the same level, but the losers will be better off into the bargain) is an extremely difficult, nigh on impossible task. The WIIFMS won't change and I don't fancy anyone's chances of convincing them of the benefits of responsibility towards the society they're part of.

Right now, enough of the WIIFMS seem to be thinking "it can't get much worse than the current incompetent shower, let's give the others a go" and therefore explains why Labour are so far ahead in the polls.

Back
Top Bottom