National News Rishi Sunak

London is also struggling because it has a useless mayor.
As with all authorities, are you aware how much central government funding has decreased since 2010 as the demand for all services, particularly the statutory ones, has exponentially increased? Between 2010 and 2020 London experienced a 63% decrease in core funding in real terms. Even allowing for government grants and council tax rises, that lead to councils spending power dropping by 37% in real terms (a bigger hit than the national average of 29%).

Perhaps you'd like to remind us who has been in power since 2010?

As with all authorities, are you aware how much central government funding has decreased since 2010 as the demand for all services, particularly the statutory ones, has exponentially increased? Between 2010 and 2020 London experienced a 63% decrease in core funding in real terms. Even allowing for government grants and council tax rises, that lead to councils spending power dropping by 37% in real terms (a bigger hit than the national average of 29%).

Absolutely spot on. The number of Met Office police officers was slashed back in 2010. It has since increased, but is still 500 below it's 2010 figure before David Cameron's austerity measures. However since 2010, the population of London has increased from 8 million to 9.5 million.

THAT is the reason why crime has gone up. More people per police officer, not to mention the hardships caused by the cost of living crisis. But of course, it's never the Conservative Party's fault. :rolleyes:

That is an absolutely key point. Central government passing the buck. My own issue is how SEN education has been ripped apart at a local government level by central government cuts.

There needs to be an "agree the s**t out of this post" emoji for this one

Absolutely spot on. The number of Met Office police officers was slashed back in 2010. It has since increased, but is still 500 below it's 2010 figure before David Cameron's austerity measures. However since 2010, the population of London has increased from 8 million to 9.5 million.

THAT is the reason why crime has gone up. More people per police officer, not to mention the hardships caused by the cost of living crisis. But of course, it's never the Conservative Party's fault. :rolleyes:

Also a lot of experience and knowledge went when those Police Officers left which is as big an issue. The new Officers are mostly new recruits without any experience.

Also a lot of experience and knowledge went when those Police Officers left which is as big an issue. The new Officers are mostly new recruits without any experience.
Yeah but the force is now incredibly diverse, which is more important than actual crime fighting ability.

My biggest take from this is that MIchael Gove is apparently being investigated for not declaring hospitality at a QPR game. Surely, having to watch a QPR game is a punishment?!
According to the article I saw, MPs only have to declare gifts or hospitality if it is over the value of £300, a lot of scope there for nice little sweeteners! I work for the public sector and I have to declare anything over £25 in my organisation.

According to the article I saw, MPs only have to declare gifts or hospitality if it is over the value of £300, a lot of scope there for nice little sweeteners! I work for the public sector and I have to declare anything over £25 in my organisation.

That makes it worse, somebody paid over £300 for him to suffer QPR.

Council Tax is a grossly inefficient way of collecting relative amounts of money based on a house value that is years out of date.

Houses were valued in 1991/92 and I`m fairly sure other folk have been in Government since and haven`t tried to fix it.

In 1990 you could have bought EYTowers(MkII) for £85 - £90k.

Current market value is £380k - £400k.

Band D council tax of £2,165.

£42 a week considering what we get for it is far too low, but if you increase it to a realistic level how many people would kick back against it?

A tax, whether collected by HMG or the Local Authority is just that..... a tax.

Almost a case to go back to the rates........... :)

Last edited:
Tbf although the Krays were horrible nasty men they did keep some sort of norm and that’s not excusing them

At least one of them was a nonce baz and the other procured underage boys for wealthy, powerful nonces, they were terrible human beings who did terrible things who have had a myth built up about them that both embellishes how successful and powerful they were while also lying about them keeping the streets safe.

Council Tax is a grossly inefficient way of collecting relative amounts of money based on a house value that is years out of date.

Houses were valued in 1991/92 and I`m fairly sure other folk have been in Government since and haven`t tried to fix it.

In 1990 you could have bought EYTowers(MkII) for £85 - £90k.

Current market value is £380k - £400k.

Band D council tax of £2,165.

£42 a week considering what we get for it is far too low, but if you increase it to a realistic level how many people would kick back against it?

A tax, whether collected by HMG or the Local Authority is just that..... a tax.

Almost a case to go back to the rates........... :)
It's far from ineffective, many areas have more than 90% of their tax base paying by DD. However it is unfair, inequitable (both within and between councils), regressive and decades out of date. Because any changes would lead to both big winners and big losers none of the main stream political parties would touch a change of system with a barge pole. It was introduced in a rush to rid Thatcher of the millstone poll tax had become and so did nothing but mirror the unpopular rates system. When introduced properties were meant to be revalued every three years but the Tory government at the time kicked the first revaluation into the long grass in fear of upsetting voters and from that point onwards change became closer to political suicide due to the growing valuation inequities.

It's far from ineffective, many areas have more than 90% of their tax base paying by DD. However it is unfair, inequitable (both within and between councils), regressive and decades out of date. Because any changes would lead to both big winners and big losers none of the main stream political parties would touch a change of system with a barge pole. It was introduced in a rush to rid Thatcher of the millstone poll tax had become and so did nothing but mirror the unpopular rates system. When introduced properties were meant to be revalued every three years but the Tory government at the time kicked the first revaluation into the long grass in fear of upsetting voters and from that point onwards change became closer to political suicide due to the growing valuation inequities.

We agree on something.
Unfair, inequitable, regressive and decades out of date and political suicide!

• React
Reactions: QR

What’s that got to do with Khan being useless? He seems to spend most of time bitching about national issues. That isn’t his job.

What’s that got to do with Khan being useless? He seems to spend most of time bitching about national issues. That isn’t his job.
It’s your highly politicised perception that he’s useless, it’s a fact that centralised funding has decreased, making it harder to efficiently provide the multitude of services required for a growing population.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom