National News Rishi Sunak

Our forum friends wouldn`t hold back in that case......................... :)

What was to stop Sadiq Khan saying "No, he`s a nutter so I won`t do it"............ the bloke was seeking to legally enter the UK and the Government said "No thanks we don`t want you and your fanatical beliefs here thank you".

What rational person would think that is wrong? Jack Straw & David Blunkett both thought it was right.

As the judgement said "based upon its assessment of the risk that his "notorious opinions" might provoke disorder."

Why try and defend that?
This is the hill I'd die on. Everyone must be allowed legal representation otherwise the system collapses. If they can take it away from one person (however justified in your opinion) then they can take it away from you or I. Its sacrosanct and is what separates us from many other countries. But having legal representation doesn't infer that they lawyer personally supports your case. That would be nonsense.

This is the hill I'd die on. Everyone must be allowed legal representation otherwise the system collapses. If they can take it away from one person (however justified in your opinion) then they can take it away from you or I. Its sacrosanct and is what separates us from many other countries. But having legal representation doesn't infer that they lawyer personally supports your case. That would be nonsense.
Absolutely this☝️
👏👏👏

Indeed - we all shake our heads at the sham trials with questionable legal representation that take place in other countries and the consequences of this - Alexei Navalny anyone?

The odd thing about this is I take little interest in London politics but general find Khan and uninspiring middle brow politician whom I sure has weaknesses his opponents would find common ground with me on. But no, lets fling out there the ill researched, inaccurate, down right dangerous crap racist gobble up on line.

Last edited:
The odd thing about this is I take little interest in London politics but general find Khan and uninspiring middle brow politician whom I sure has weaknesses his opponents would find common ground with me on. But no, let fling out there the ill researched, inaccurate, down right dangerous crap racist gobble up on line.
Also, isn't London Mayor a really easy job? A massively rich city, transport for London look after all the travel infrastructure, the Met has huge funding. It's a sweet gig.

Also, isn't London Mayor a really easy job? A massively rich city, transport for London look after all the travel infrastructure, the Met has huge funding. It's a sweet gig.

I'd suggest Tfl funding has been causing problems for years because of COVID. Especially when he is having to negotiate with Govts/Party that publically slags him off. 30p Lee isn't the only one, plenty others have.

Our forum friends wouldn`t hold back in that case......................... :)

What was to stop Sadiq Khan saying "No, he`s a nutter so I won`t do it"............ the bloke was seeking to legally enter the UK and the Government said "No thanks we don`t want you and your fanatical beliefs here thank you".

What rational person would think that is wrong? Jack Straw & David Blunkett both thought it was right.

As the judgement said "based upon its assessment of the risk that his "notorious opinions" might provoke disorder."

Why try and defend that?
I would imagine most of the UK has the same opinion.

If religion brings someone a sense of comfort and happiness, all power to them. Anyone who tries to impose their beliefs on others, that's when it becomes a problem.

One of the best things about living in the UK is people are free to follow any religion they please. Kind of heartbreaking when you see anti-semitic slogans in London, if you can't tolerate living beside people you disagree with, I would suggest finding somewhere else in the world which shares that worldview.

What he actually said................

"I don't actually believe that the Islamists have got control of our country, but what I do believe is they've got control of Khan and they've got control of London... He's actually given our capital city away to his mates."

Now he, like anyone else, is allowed an opinion is he not?

Should he apologise for it?

Or should he apologise for the choice of words yet still hold the opinion? Which makes the apology, like many others these days, worthless.
So you’ve moved to aligning with with Anderson than with Rory Stewart then? Because your former fave Rory is pretty excoriating in his response to Anderson.

So you’ve moved to aligning with with Anderson than with Rory Stewart then? Because your former fave Rory is pretty excoriating in his response to Anderson.
This in itself perfectly illustrates precisely what is happening to the right of politics in the UK.

Rory was once the acceptable face of moderate Conservatism.

Now it's Lee Anderson and his ilk and all their enablers who are leading the charge to go further right, become more incendiary, spread more hate, shift further away from the rule of law, make people think they've got a "just cause" to be angry and to create greater divisions in society.

The Tory party is basically off its nut and will only get worse after the next election, when the battle for their soul and the battle to prevent the massive hemorrhaging of support to the likes of Reform and Reclaim really goes into full swing.

What an absolute shambles they are

This in itself perfectly illustrates precisely what is happening to the right of politics in the UK.

Now it's Lee Anderson and his ilk and all their enablers who are leading the charge to go further right, become more incendiary, spread more hate, shift further away from the rule of law, make people think they've got a "just cause" to be angry and to create greater divisions in society.

The Tory party is basically off its nut and will only get worse after the next election, when the battle for their soul and the battle to prevent the massive hemorrhaging of support to the likes of Reform and Reclaim really goes into full swing.

And the thing is it goes beyond right wing and left wing. I imagine many moderate Tory voters are holding their head in their hands. The direction of our government is being led by people like Lee Anderson and Suella Braverman as the Cabinet are s**t scared of losing votes to Reform. This is what David Cameron thought he was putting to bed with the referendum. Instead it made things ten times worse when Brexit was found out not to be the panacea that the Eurosceptics said. Now they look for someone else to blame - dividing us, diluting our rights, pissing on our services. The Tory party are taking the mickey out of working people.

They attempted to absorb UKIP and ended up turning into BlueKIP.

Like watching Gyarados evolve into Magikarp rather than the other way around.

And they’ll keep trying to evolve into these paranoid versions of their worst selves and become more and more nationalistic and isolationist. They’re scared of reform because they know that that they’ve lost the middle ground and they are losing the right and they don’t know who to try and appeal to, so currently appeal to very few.

The odd thing about this is I take little interest in London politics but general find Khan and uninspiring middle brow politician whom I sure has weaknesses his opponents would find common ground with me on. But no, lets fling out there the ill researched, inaccurate, down right dangerous crap racist gobble up on line.
I do live in London and take an interest in what our Mayor does and what he stands for - to some extent, I agree with you, he's a fairly uninspiring figure and his record is spotty. However, there are certainly national issues that play a part in his re-election - Brexit was major one, Truss and the current government will be another - allied to the fact that the Tories can't find anyone of real substance prepared to stand.

Zac Goldmith didn't have the strength of personality to say 'no' to the frankly racist campaign the Tories foisted upon him, Shaun Bailey wasn't up to it, in spite of his place in the House of Lords and Susan Hall, the current candidate, whilst expressing objections to Anderson's comments (and acknowledging the racist abuse that Khan receives), has previously come out in support of Truss and Trump and even liked comments relating to Enoch Powell's 'rivers of blood' speeches.

Ask some of my Jewish friends if they feel safe on London streets. There is clear evidence of two tier policing.

Khan’s responsible for the Met. Many Londoners despise him. Me included.

London has become grottier, more dangerous and the road system is a monstrous mess.( Even in places like Feltham. ) 1200 places of entertainment have closed under his watch.

Then there’s ULEZ, a tax raid on those who can’t afford it for a measure that isn’t needed.

He constantly parps up about national measures; not his job.

Money wasted on useless virtue signalling projects.

He has never once called protestors out on defacing of national monuments.

Deserves to be run out of town. The polls suggest it will be close.

The way Khan has run London is a foretaste of a Labour Government under Starmer, an unappetizing, thin skinned, preachy, tax raiding mess. Likely to be under the yoke of appalling pressure groups, if current trends are maintained. Nothing for the ordinary voter.

As for Lee Anderson, , the comments are over the top. I wouldn’t have made them. But have no problem with him expressing his views, it’s a free country , ( still, just about .) Didn’t take long for the media to move on from Lindsay Hoyle did it?

Ask some of my Jewish friends if they feel safe on London streets. There is clear evidence of two tier policing.

London has become grottier, more dangerous and the road system is a monstrous mess.( Even in places like Feltham. ) 1200 places of entertainment have closed under his watch.

Then there’s ULEZ, a tax raid on those who can’t afford it for a measure that isn’t needed.

I don’t pretend to know what’s going on in London but I think blaming The Met on Khan is harsh.
For the first time ever they are looking at routing out the bent coppers from the force and are at very least looking like an organisation that is trying to deal with its own issues.

A lot of the rest of it is happening all over the country. Oxford is a lot grottier than 10 years ago and you can’t travel into east Oxford and the council are moving that around the city.

I don’t doubt that the arts have suffered under the cuts made by successive Tory governments, again thats had to happen everywhere.

On the money wasted on useless virtue projects I’ll use HS2 as exhibit A for the whole of the north.

I know he’s extended it and renamed it but he didn’t introduce the congestion charge.

And finally nationally you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of a religious hate crime if you are a Muslim, than if you are a Jew.

Both are abhorrent.

The way Khan has run London is a foretaste of a Labour Government under Starmer, an unappetizing, thin skinned, preachy, tax raiding mess. Likely to be under the yoke of appalling pressure groups, if current trends are maintained. Nothing for the ordinary voter.

As for Lee Anderson, , the comments are over the top. I wouldn’t have made them. But have no problem with him expressing his views, it’s a free country , ( still, just about .) Didn’t take long for the media to move on from Lindsay Hoyle did it?
Who are you suggesting should run the country? The conservatives? Seriously? Have they in your eyes done an acceptable job in the last few years?

Yeah, but at least the Kray's are off the streets now.

I don’t pretend to know what’s going on in London but I think blaming The Met on Khan is harsh.
For the first time ever they are looking at routing out the bent coppers from the force and are at very least looking like an organisation that is trying to deal with its own issues.

A lot of the rest of it is happening all over the country. Oxford is a lot grottier than 10 years ago and you can’t travel into east Oxford and the council are moving that around the city.

I don’t doubt that the arts have suffered under the cuts made by successive Tory governments, again thats had to happen everywhere.

On the money wasted on useless virtue projects I’ll use HS2 as exhibit A for the whole of the north.

I know he’s extended it and renamed it but he didn’t introduce the congestion charge.

And finally nationally you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of a religious hate crime if you are a Muslim, than if you are a Jew.

Both are abhorrent.
The only thing I disagree with is that Oxford has got grottier. We are such a bubble here thanks to the university (and students spending money and tourists visiting have isolated us a bit from the economic problems of the rest of the country). In general people seem to rub along together quite well and whilst there can always be more investment it's not too bad. You are absolutely right about travelling around East Oxford. Having an autistic son means I have to drive him about (he gets scared in crowds) so that is a nightmare. Housing also a major problem as we all know.

London has also suffered disproportionately from COVID - more wfh meaning hospitality closures and it has also suffered from rising asset (housing really) prices caused in part by supply and demand but also by the long period of quantitive easing. London was also going to be affected by Brexit more than many parts of the country and the generation gap (lots more young people in London) means that, at a time of generational misunderstanding, there are a lot of extreme voices. Plus we have social media publicising anything bad that happens anywhere in London. It's more complicated that this but those are some of the reasons why I think London is struggling. Difficult for a mayor of ay party to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom