Retained list

Based on a lot of googling, I think this is the current state of play for contracted players for next season.

Following on from Berliner's post above (regarding Kelleher), Baptiste and Stevens weren't mentioned in the retained list, but are also out on loan.

Contracted (18-19) – [contract expires 2019 unless stated]
GK
Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens – [currently out on loan]

DEF
CB - Nelson
CB - Dickie – {2020}
Util - Carroll – {2020}
CB - Mousinho
LB - Ricardinho - offer
RB - Long – offer
CB - Kelleher – [currently out on loan]
CB - Raglan – [currently out on loan]

MID
W - Napa
W - Hall
CM - Ledson
CM - Brannagan – {2021}
Util - Ruffels – {2020}
CM - Rothwell – offer
CM - Baptiste – [currently out on loan]

ATT
Obika
Henry – {2020}
Hemmings - [currently out on loan]

Would think Kelleher and Baptiste could be on their way out. Mousinho and Obika's future could depend on whether KR signs all of his targets or not.

Doesn't KR already have target players lined up..no point in extending the agony..they are all surplus to 1st team requirements
Yeah but you don’t pay them off straight away. Strange that the club haven’t said “and players x,y,z have been told they have no future at the club”. Or is it that if we did we wouldn’t have a team for Saturday
I’m quite surprised at how quickly the retained list has been released. Has one ever been released with a week of the normal football season still to go before? Wonder what the reason for such urgency is..?

I think Aaron Martin deserves a little mention. Came in with a good reputation but must’ve ran a black cat over on the way to signing. If I remember he had personal problems to deal with almost immediately after signing and he never really got going after that. Then snapped his Achilles, which he had to battle back from. I sincerely hope he gets better luck in the next chapter of his career.

I think I’m with the majority in being fairly happy with the retained/released list. With Xemi, we’ve now released six of Pep’s signings. If that isn’t a ringing endorsement that he was a poor choice for a coach to Borntobeyellow, I don’t know what is.

Most don’t need further discussion but I’d make an exception for Thomas, Long and Roberts. Wes Thomas is far from a bad player but just isn’t robust enough for my liking. He’ll pop up somewhere else and has maybe a couple more seasons in him before I can see him dropping out of the league altogether. If we want to be competitive, we need our main striker to be netting 15+ whereas 15 is the upper limit for a player like him.

Sam Long should consider himself very lucky. Since he signed pro terms in 2012, he has played 26 times for us and had a couple of loan spells. Yes, the injuries mitigate some of that but since he was never challenging for a place when we were a League 2 side, what does he offer a League 1 side whose ambition has increased? Switch off any local attachment or sentiment off with him – would we be as patient with a 23 year old who has yet to make more than 10 appearances in a season if he wasn’t one of our own? I think he’s being kept on as cheap insurance in case we can’t sign Kane.

It’s the right decision to let James Roberts go but he departs with a pang of regret. He was the one thing that made the first half of the 2014-15 season worth watching. Those goals against Grimsby and his firebolt against Plymouth were a joy and I really thought we were on to something. For some reason he disappeared from view that season and then has been barely seen since. Personal troubles and tragedies obviously were part of it, but it’s a disappointment that things haven’t progressed since then.

I should imagine Long’s relative versatility in terms of his position in the team (essentially all across the back line) has played to his favour, alongside his assumed salary and age.

Ruffles is another example of a player who in his younger years warranted contracts due to his versatility - ditto Canice too.

As with Appleton, if KR wants a lean squad number, you need players who can play in several positions. Total football and all that.

Rothwell, Ledson and Eastwood might well move this summer. What realistic fees would be involved, considering the Chairman is not forced to sell?
A very rough guess but REALISTIC fees I imagine would be

Ledson £1.6m
Eastwood £800k - unfortunately goalkeepers don’t bring in what they’re worth to a team for some reason..
Rothwell £150k compo. I doubt we’ll be entitled to much

Are we entitled to compo for rothwell?

Help please. Some time ago before Ifollow I subscribed to a service which sent texts as soon as transfers were completed or other news from oufc. Does anything like this still exist?

Hemmings could be an interesting player for us

If Kr plays 2 outright wingers - as he likes to - then that will play to hemmings’ strengths

Never understood why Mapp signed him - he prob does too - when he didn’t fit our system

Does anyone have any information if Kane has been offered a deal please?

never understood the argument that if you play two wingers it will play to hemmings strengths. Surely playing 2 wingers will play to any strikers strengths!
I think that argument is because he scored a lot in Scotland when he had wingers providing crosses for him. And it's quite possible that he would do better if we played that system, but it is also quite possible that defenders and keepers are better in many English L1 teams than in the Scottish Championship and lower Scottish Prem. He has scored 8 in 24 at Mansfied in L2 - so I guess the truth lies somewhere in between. He certainly didn't shine when he played for us - let's hope he thrives under KR in the summer and it would be like having a new forward for free!

I recall Kane scoring 15 goals, getting slaughtered by some fans (note to Obika, Thomas, Henry, etc) & joyous scenes when he was sent on loan. During that little scoring stint of 15 goals (note this season we have a striker on 10 and a midfielder on 9) he was benched alot of the time, I think that point really does go unnoticed.

Q: Who would have liked to see Hemmings up front for us in the last few months of the season?

Help please. Some time ago before Ifollow I subscribed to a service which sent texts as soon as transfers were completed or other news from oufc. Does anything like this still exist?
The closest thing as far as I know is to follow the club Twitter with notifications switched on.

The Hemmings thing is going in circles.

Personally, I think we should give him a year in KR's preferred system then make a decision.

Going in to the season with Thomas, Obika, GVK and Mehmeti was a master stroke from Mr Clotet...

I would easily take Hemmings over what we had, at least we know his strengths. What are Obika's assets?

Yes, Hemmings scored 15 goals in 54 games. The problem was that in 40 league games he scored 9 - while being supplied from out wide quite well and he missed some absolute sitters! Of course looking back with the benefit of hindsight, 9 in 40 is at least as good as Obika and about par with Thomas. I'd hesitate to compare him to Henry as Henry is not really an out-and-out striker. Would I prefer Hemmings to Obika? Probably. To Thomas, probably not. To (late season) Henry - absolutely not.

This BBC page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/oxford-united/top-scorers is quite interesting as it shows how many shots they have managed, how many on target etc. Change the oxford-united bit of the URL to mansfield-town if you want to see how Hemmings compares, albeit a step down.

Based on a lot of googling, I think this is the current state of play for contracted players for next season.

Following on from Berliner's post above (regarding Kelleher), Baptiste and Stevens weren't mentioned in the retained list, but are also out on loan.

Contracted (18-19) – [contract expires 2019 unless stated]
GK
Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens – [currently out on loan]

DEF
CB - Nelson
CB - Dickie – {2020}
Util - Carroll – {2020}
CB - Mousinho
LB - Ricardinho - offer
RB - Long – offer
CB - Kelleher – [currently out on loan]
CB - Raglan – [currently out on loan]

MID
W - Napa
W - Hall
CM - Ledson
CM - Brannagan – {2021}
Util - Ruffels – {2020}
CM - Rothwell – offer
CM - Baptiste – [currently out on loan]

ATT
Obika
Henry – {2020}
Hemmings - [currently out on loan]

Would think Kelleher and Baptiste could be on their way out. Mousinho and Obika's future could depend on whether KR signs all of his targets or not.

I could be wrong be seem to remember Manny Agboola signing a new contract earlier in the season.

Back
Top Bottom