Votes: 12 27.9%

Votes: 6 14.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge

God like member
Had a decent game I though ( I only berated him/ questioned his parentage twice & I can be a tad partisan during games! ) 8 from me

He let far too many fouls go, and allowed Burton to time waste repeatedly (only one minute additional time in the first half). The ‘clampdown‘ seems to be out the window Once again, the South Stand linesman was struggling to keep up with play, and missed a couple of offsides (in our favour).

He let far too many fouls go, and allowed Burton to time waste repeatedly (only one minute additional time in the first half). The ‘clampdown‘ seems to be out the window Once again, the South Stand linesman was struggling to keep up with play, and missed a couple of offsides (in our favour).
Poor for the reasons Andy has said.
Shirt pulling, on you go.

I thought compared to what we have been used to so far this season, he had a decent game. Barely noticed him and for me that is what you want from a referee.

He did ok compared to some, we’ve seen, but he did seem to allow Burton to be fairly agricultural. And I’d love to have a look at both our penalty shouts again.

I think people are being too kind because of the feel good winning factor!

There were professional fouls that deserved a yellow, shirt pulling that sometimes got close to all in wrestling, fouls given for what looked like nothing and others that were certainly fouls that were ignored.

I thought he was inconsistent and distinctly average in a game that wasn't difficult to ref. A 6 from me ( being slightly generous)

Yeah, I thought he was incontinent. Lower end of average for me.

Edit:I meant inconsistent, but I'll let the Gods of autocorrect have their say here.

Last edited:
I think people are being too kind because of the feel good winning factor!

There were professional fouls that deserved a yellow, shirt pulling that sometimes got close to all in wrestling, fouls given for what looked like nothing and others that were certainly fouls that were ignored.

I thought he was inconsistent and distinctly average in a game that wasn't difficult to ref. A 6 from me ( being slightly generous)
As above. Missed a couple of penalty shouts as well.

He was fair - 6. I would agree with the above. Burton got away with too much routine shirt-pulling and time-wasting. I also thought there was one penalty, but to be fair to the ref, it's very hard to be confident in the middle of a melee like we saw on Saturday.
The current practice seems to be quite severe on any foul play below the waist (trips, late challenges) but very lenient about any arm wrestling or shirt-pulling. Is this official policy? I can see it protects the players almost completely from risk of injury, but the kind of cynical holding that prevents a breakaway spoils part of the game.

He was fair - 6. I would agree with the above. Burton got away with too much routine shirt-pulling and time-wasting. I also thought there was one penalty, but to be fair to the ref, it's very hard to be confident in the middle of a melee like we saw on Saturday.
The current practice seems to be quite severe on any foul play below the waist (trips, late challenges) but very lenient about any arm wrestling or shirt-pulling. Is this official policy? I can see it protects the players almost completely from risk of injury, but the kind of cynical holding that prevents a breakaway spoils part of the game.

Not to do with this game but what gets punished for dangerous and what isn't has become somewhat laughable. You can back in causing a player to fall dangerously risking serious injury with no attempt at the ball but likely won't get cautioned, kick somebody on the shin however and you'll very likely get a caution.

This kind of feeds in to football's poor response to potential concussion as well. The rules over head assessments over potential concussions is a joke. It really isn't difficult to understand, or to allow a temporary substitution so a player can have a HIA. Other sports have gone hard on head injuries and those causing them (rugby (both codes) for instance). Yet VAR doesn't refer Coufal who smashes the Wolves player late with an elbow to the head.

Again, nothing to do with our game - and I thought Saturday's ref was much better than most - but I hope against hope that VAR in its present form is binned before it reaches our level.

Brentford / Villa last night had two virtually identical challenges, both yellow carded (correctly, in my view) but one referred to VAR and 'upgraded' to a red.

I reckon that many incidents in a match, if examined in slo mo from four or five angles, would look worse than they are.

Back
Top Bottom