Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge

God like member
Absolutely incompetant display exactly how not to referee a game of football.

Inconsistant to say the least

Books Barton in the first half then allows him to berate the 4th official for the rest of the game with no further action.

Foul on Mills not given when Gas scored, Foul on Brannagan in the build up to Mills straight red - nothing given for either

Mills pushed in the face in the red card incident again nothing given

Mather shouldn't be let near sunday league games never mind EFL games , he was shockingly bad - 1 from me simply because there's no 0 score

Only viewing from the East Stand, I think he got all the sending offs correct. The sending offs were idiotic imo.

Smyth had watched Jevani Brown be sent off for 2 cautions including one for kicking the ball away. Kicking the ball away has been cautioned all season. I'd add both of Smyth's cautions were dumb. Mills challenge looked bad and utterly unnecessary in the circumstances so therefore stupid but he is young and will learn.

My only issue with Mills sending off is whether their player retaliated and if he did then he should have gone as well.

A one from me. If there were minus ratings I would have awarded them. It takes something special to get on the wrong side of both sets of supporters. This man was a disgrace to his profession.
It wasn’t a dirty or bad-tempered game and yet he managed to issue three red cards and didn’t send off Rovers #6 who was worthy of a second yellow.
He could have cost us the game, thankfully he didn’t.

Last edited:
I'm upping him to a 2 for the simple reason he didn't give them a penalty in the first half. Many refs would have.

This is irrespective of whether it was a penalty or not (I really couldn't see one way of the other from where I was sat) but simply because they were Bristol Rovers

A one from me. If there were minus ratings I would have awarded them. It takes something special to get on the wrong side of both sets of supporters. This man was a disgrace to his profession.
It wasn’t a dirty or bad-tempered game and yet he managed to issue three red cards and didn’t send of Rovers #6 who was worthy of a second yellow.
He could have cost us the game, thankfully he didn’t.
He was utterly dreadful, and utterly clueless. He was often in the way, never in control of himself. Flashing cards wherever he could for minor infringements, literally look what I can do and then ignoring blatant fouls and shirt pulling. He patently showed he has no understanding of the game just a rules official.
The players and fans deserve better but that unfortunately is the standard we get. Great shame, that game could have been a classic if it was reffed by somebody who understood the game rather than apply some of the rules. The rules he understood were the rules the assessor will judge him on. It was another example of what is wrong with the methodology of developing officials.

Their player’s first yellow was insanely harsh. They were 1-0 down, why would he waste time by kicking the ball away? It was miliseconds after the whistle was blown! Smyth’s first yellow was also really harsh. Can’t really argue with the second yellow for either player but the first for both was harsh.

The whole catching the ball before the whistle went was absolutely bizarre.

On the build up to the Smyth sending off Brannagan was smashed after the ball was played and he didn’t punish that player either.

A better referee would have kept that game 11 vs 11.

Not that I wish to defend him in anyway but he did consult the linesman ahead of sending Mills off. It wasn’t a rush to get the red out for it.

Looking at that one a few times, go back a few seasons and that wouldn’t even be a booking. Now it’s a red when it ought to be a yellow.

As for Smyth, when your minutes are as limited as his have been, to get yourself sent off in such a stupid way does you no favours. Perhaps we’re at the end of the road with him here.

Not that I wish to defend him in anyway but he did consult the linesman ahead of sending Mills off. It wasn’t a rush to get the red out for it.
I thought the linesman flagged for the foul initially?

It was a Purkiss-like performance.

Their red-card was harsh, I wouldn't have argued if he'd given their player a final warning, very harsh.

Smyth was a stupid boy. If he was 18 I'd see it different, 23 he needs to be smarter. I think that's the last we will see of him. It created the environment of panic that saw Mills sending off. On which note....

Mills red was one of those that looked worse than it was. I can see why the ref gave it, but for me that's a yellow. Mills didn't make it look pretty. No booking for their players reaction. from Mather.

Card happy ref who took the limelight. I gave him a one but he was marginally better than Purkiss, but I couldn't give Purkiss a zero.

The standard of refereeing is poor top to bottom, the answer isn't to abuse refs, or to have VAR, but to revolutionise training.
Kettle's title is in tatters. Purkiss now looks fair. I suspect that the EFL sanctions clubs accurately reporting on matches where a referee's performance has been dire.
Wouldn't it be nice if the powers that be recognised the problem and attempted to sort it out?
I have watched football for 7 decades and too many matches are memorable/spoilt by the officials who, if good at their job, should not be noticed at all.

I'm upping him to a 2 for the simple reason he didn't give them a penalty in the first half. Many refs would have.

This is irrespective of whether it was a penalty or not (I really couldn't see one way of the other from where I was sat) but simply because they were Bristol Rovers
Definitely not a penalty. Their player felt the slightest of contact and went down. Should have been booked.

It's brilliant that apparently 2 people reckon that was a 10/10 performance! 🤣🤣🤣

Kettle's title is in tatters. Purkiss now looks fair. I suspect that the EFL sanctions clubs accurately reporting on matches where a referee's performance has been dire.
Wouldn't it be nice if the powers that be recognised the problem and attempted to sort it out?
I have watched football for 7 decades and too many matches are memorable/spoilt by the officials who, if good at their job, should not be noticed at all.
You only have to look at utter narcissists like Mike Dean (considered one of the best, btw) to notice lots of refs REVEL in the limelight

I`ll defend referees to the hilt, no ref =no game and all that but...........................

Out of his depth, no control & gross incompetence were among his less redeeming abilities.

Awful and granted a generous 2/10.

But one was from the ref and the other from his useless assistant.

The other is from me. Mills sending off was correct and the officiating ensemble got Moore off the hook as he ambled toward the goal as an attacker sped past him to head the ball into the near corner.

Back
Top Bottom