Oxford Bulls team in Derry-Londonderry

StockholmOx

On a little travel around Ireland and in Derry bus station saw what was unmistakably the OUFC Ox on a poster. It was for a local Downs syndrome football team, called Oxford Bulls. Looked a little more into it, and they appear to have been founded in 2015, and received international attention when James McLean helped them find opponents to play against in 2017 (https://www.derrydaily.net/2017/03/...t-team-of-derry-children-with-downs-syndrome/).

Clearly they must have some link with us - the picture below (taken from the linked article) even shows one of the children wearing a shirt with 'Oxford United' written on it. However I can't find any direct link between them and us. I know we have big scouting links in NI and we have a very good Downs syndrome footballing programme in Oxfordshire, so it would make sense that there are links beyond our county borders. Does anyone know any more about this?

1661166345567.png

That would explain the link, thanks for the info! I guess Oxford Bulls must be part of this Stars club then. Wonder if we still have any sort of formal connection with them, or if there are other examples like this around the UK/abroad?
I’ve never been able to get to the bottom of the link (if one exists) between OUFC and OUSFC.

Oxford United Stars used to play on Oxford Road, (London)Derry, which is where the name came from. We've never had any official affiliation to them, as far as I'm aware.
Unusual for them to have taken the Minoan Bull/Ox as their badge, though. Even down to the Isis below it.

Back
Top Bottom