General Ownership - A Look At Wrexham

Friend of mine is a ST holder at Wrexham, he was very sceptical when they arrived but they have embraced what was already there.

They "caught the pulse" of what makes the club and supported it.

They didn`t break that priceless relationship with the fans, they embraced it.

24k shirts sold, ground redevelopment, massive ST sales. Sponsors falling over themselves and players turning down Champ/Lg1 deals to go there.

With Wrexhams very high profile and ability to pay good wages they will be able to pick up some players no other league two team would have a chance of getting, add in the momentum and the fact they already have a good team then they will probably start favourites for league 2.
Yes. And if Notts County make it through the playoffs, they'll probably go straight through L2 as well

Yes. And if Notts County make it through the playoffs, they'll probably go straight through L2 as well
Let's hope we finish 3rd then at this moment I wouldn't feel confident about gaining promotion from league 2

Who cares seriously-the only point to be made is that they haven't messed up as badly as Boehly yet.

I agree with the sentiment here. As has been expressed in other threads though, it is easier to buy your way out of the non-league when you have the biggest pockets in the division, than it is to take the same approach in a League One which also has the likes of Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Bolton, Peterborough, Derby etc…

Looking forward to seeing how they take the ‘next step’ in the Football League next season. Hopefully not whilst we’re in the same division…

Whilst Salford are stuck in L2 for the moment, clubs like Fleetwood and Crawley managed to go one step further. It's L1 where putting in an extra £3-5m a year might not stop you getting relegated, let alone have you competing with Ipswich and Sheff Wed.

I'm sure I'm being facetious, but every time someone posts about owners having to attend games I wonder why Man City get away with it.

Take note of how Wrexhams owners have transformed an unfashionable, unsuccessful club!!! Their owners have pumped in the money but it’s more than that - They turn up to Wrexham matches (because they care) embrace the spirit of the club, town/community and communicate properly with fans!!!!

It helped that they had Disney (or whatever the streaming service) lined up before the takeover. I doubt our owners would have even got in the door to discuss such a series.

Last edited:
Those decent players have sighed because they are getting paid well but also they want to be a part of something special with owners who care and are totally engaged - why didn’t Mullins sign for Oxford?! I’ll tell you why because they can see a better future with Wrexham!!!!

Mullin signed for Wrexham as according to reports I've read he was offered £6k a week (+very generous/significant bonuses), a long contract and he wanted to move back to the North West which signing for Wrexham allowed him to do so. Nothing to do with us and he turned down Championship clubs apparently.

Do you even know if we approached him or are you just guessing?

Take note of how Wrexhams owners have transformed an unfashionable, unsuccessful club!!! Their owners have pumped in the money but it’s more than that - They turn up to Wrexham matches (because they care) embrace the spirit of the club, town/community and communicate properly with fans!!!!

Hmm, how many seasons has the documentary been commissioned for? What happens after that?

It helped that they had Disney (or whatever the streaming service) lined up before the takeover. I doubt our owners would have even got in the door to discuss such a series.

We have no media pull at all.

wikipedia said:
Erick Thohir (born 30 May 1970) is an Indonesian businessman and politician who has served as Indonesia's Minister of State Owned Enterprises since 2019 and chairman of Football Association of Indonesia since 2023. He is the founder of Mahaka Group,[1] a conglomeration that focuses on media, sports and entertainment.

wikipedia said:
Bakrie is the founder and CEO of the Visi Media Asia (VIVA) Group which owns television stations with News and Sports lineups, namely tvOne, Entertainment lineups, namely ANTV, and the news portal VIVA.co.id. He is also the founder of the Bakrie Center Foundation, which serves as a platform for Anindya's philanthropic activities.[3]

Bakrie currently serves as the Chairman of the Advisory Board at the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and was appointed by former Indonesian President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono as a Director of the APEC Business Advisory Council.

If they wanted it they could get it. Instead we have a shy accountant and a keen golfing advocate. Go figure.

Difference between somewhere like Wrexham and Oxford is they are a strong working class community who love their football and their town, no matter what others think of it.

Oxford/Oxfordshire is not a strong working class community, it's not a passionate football area, so it's easier to galvinise support in somewhere like Wrexham.

For places like Wrexham, their team is part of their overall identity, can't say that about Oxford/Oxfordshire.
Can’t agree with that,I grew up in St Ebbes and then Cowley both working class areas and don’t forget PSF and Morris Motors must have employed 10,000
The East of the city was very working class. When we were going through the leagues from the mid sixties to mid eighties we had a very strong fan base culminating in 30,000 going to Wembley,which we achieved a further two times with over 30,000.
The good times were coming back when we had first Wilder and then Appleton at the club. But the man I felt was responsible for giving us good times and getting the club together was Mark Ashton.
Our owners should pay what it takes and get him back here,working with a decent manager he would turn us into a club with ambition again

Wrexham have a huge budget for non league football with a league 1 striker playing up front, who they are paying £4.5k a week apparently. It shows what can be done with good management and the right players.

Can’t agree with that,I grew up in St Ebbes and then Cowley both working class areas and don’t forget PSF and Morris Motors must have employed 10,000
The East of the city was very working class. When we were going through the leagues from the mid sixties to mid eighties we had a very strong fan base culminating in 30,000 going to Wembley,which we achieved a further two times with over 30,000.
The good times were coming back when we had first Wilder and then Appleton at the club. But the man I felt was responsible for giving us good times and getting the club together was Mark Ashton.
Our owners should pay what it takes and get him back here,working with a decent manager he would turn us into a club with ambition again
I agree, it’s always annoyed me when some people say that we are somehow lesser fans because it’s supposedly an affluent area and not a football town, when in fact we are as passionate as anyone else. Of course you see it more when the club does well.

Get what you saying mate

But it's not like that anymore, I get slagged off for calling out the lack of real passion for the U's.

But by being in various towns and cities across the UK on a regular basis, it highlights how mincy the U's support is.

We have no media pull at all.

If they wanted it they could get it. Instead we have a shy accountant and a keen golfing advocate. Go figure.

You really think Disney or a major streaming platform would do a series on us without a Hollywood A-lister owning us? I'll have what you are smoking!

Back
Top Bottom