General Ownership - A Look At Wrexham

RobOx7

Take note of how Wrexhams owners have transformed an unfashionable, unsuccessful club!!! Their owners have pumped in the money but it’s more than that - They turn up to Wrexham matches (because they care) embrace the spirit of the club, town/community and communicate properly with fans!!!!

Take note of how Wrexhams owners have transformed an unfashionable, unsuccessful club!!! Their owners have pumped in the money but it’s more than that - They turn up to Wrexham matches (because they care) embrace the spirit of the club, town/community and communicate properly with fans!!!!
I admit I was critical of the “circus show”. But in the post match interview they spoke like a fan, not like a CIO CEO or whatever we have.

They do not call the fans “customers” they seem to be really down to earth FANS.

I agree with the sentiment here. As has been expressed in other threads though, it is easier to buy your way out of the non-league when you have the biggest pockets in the division, than it is to take the same approach in a League One which also has the likes of Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Bolton, Peterborough, Derby etc…

Looking forward to seeing how they take the ‘next step’ in the Football League next season. Hopefully not whilst we’re in the same division…

I agree with the sentiment here. As has been expressed in other threads though, it is easier to buy your way out of the non-league when you have the biggest pockets in the division, than it is to take the same approach in a League One which also has the likes of Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Bolton, Peterborough, Derby etc…

Looking forward to seeing how they take the ‘next step’ in the Football League next season. Hopefully not whilst we’re in the same division…
Yes Salford’s progress has slowed. But we do know Wrexham have some good players who are comfortable in higher leagues.

Those decent players have sighed because they are getting paid well but also they want to be a part of something special with owners who care and are totally engaged - why didn’t Mullins sign for Oxford?! I’ll tell you why because they can see a better future with Wrexham!!!!

Those decent players have sighed because they are getting paid well but also they want to be a part of something special with owners who care and are totally engaged - why didn’t Mullins sign for Oxford?! I’ll tell you why because they can see a better future with Wrexham!!!!
The lure of Hollywood across must also play a part…. Imagine the connections!

You can spend as much as you like, but that doesn’t guarantee even relative success. We’ve got a playoff budget and are struggling to merely stay in the division, and have been pretty much all season. We’re outspending several of the clubs you’ve mentioned and they’re 30+ points ahead of us in some cases.

What Wrexham have done well as a club, regardless of who is driving the project or providing the funding, is galvanise an entire community and bring in players who want to be a part of it. Lincoln did the same thing a few years back without a fraction of the spending power and none of the stardust, and they went from the National League to one game from the Championship in about four years. Yes, Wrexham are paying good wages for players who are playing below where they should be as a result of that financial incentive, but so are we and it might yet take us down. We’ve got a lethal combination of players who either aren’t good enough or have weak and shoddy attitudes (sometimes both), and executive figures who have so far proven to be incompetent and totally lacking in any sort of plan.

That we’re lucky if Bakrie/Thohir/Geicke attend even one game per season while major Hollywood stars like Ryan Reynolds can attend Wrexham games on a pretty regular basis is the main issue for me. Our owners are putting in very good amounts of money but they don’t seem to be that fussed about getting here to see what’s going on, and don’t appear bothered that the people they’ve put in charge have ballsed it all up. The players have no relationship with the owners, the Chairman is hardly around and the Chief Executive is completely lacking in charisma or personality. Who are our players supposed to be looking to for motivation and inspiration? What are they being asked to buy into, and by whom?

I would thoroughly recommend that anybody watches Ben Foster’s mini podcast from when he decided to sign with Wrexham for the final stretch of games, as well as his match day vlogs from once he got started. Both Reynolds and McElhenney called him personally to welcome him and tell him how excited they were, briefed him about the club and how it all worked etc, and are visibly buzzing while being present at most games. Does anybody think that our owners are calling Ateef Konate or Tyler Smith, let alone doing so to tell them they’re going to have a lovely time? Thohir doesn’t even follow the club on Twitter unless he’s decided to click the button in the last fortnight.

I’m very envious of Wrexham, because I remember what it was like to feel as though the club was bouncing while capturing the imagination of the county. I can still taste those hot dogs. I hope to taste them again one day.

You can spend as much as you like, but that doesn’t guarantee even relative success. We’ve got a playoff budget and are struggling to merely stay in the division, and have been pretty much all season. We’re outspending several of the clubs you’ve mentioned and they’re 30+ points ahead of us in some cases.

What Wrexham have done well as a club, regardless of who is driving the project or providing the funding, is galvanise an entire community and bring in players who want to be a part of it. Lincoln did the same thing a few years back without a fraction of the spending power and none of the stardust, and they went from the National League to one game from the Championship in about four years. Yes, Wrexham are paying good wages for players who are playing below where they should be as a result of that financial incentive, but so are we and it might yet take us down. We’ve got a lethal combination of players who either aren’t good enough or have weak and shoddy attitudes (sometimes both), and executive figures who have so far proven to be incompetent and totally lacking in any sort of plan.

That we’re lucky if Bakrie/Thohir/Geicke attend even one game per season while major Hollywood stars like Ryan Reynolds can attend Wrexham games on a pretty regular basis is the main issue for me. Our owners are putting in very good amounts of money but they don’t seem to be that fussed about getting here to see what’s going on, and don’t appear bothered that the people they’ve put in charge have ballsed it all up. The players have no relationship with the owners, the Chairman is hardly around and the Chief Executive is completely lacking in charisma or personality. Who are our players supposed to be looking to for motivation and inspiration? What are they being asked to buy into, and by whom?

I would thoroughly recommend that anybody watches Ben Foster’s mini podcast from when he decided to sign with Wrexham for the final stretch of games, as well as his match day vlogs from once he got started. Both Reynolds and McElhenney called him personally to welcome him and tell him how excited they were, briefed him about the club and how it all worked etc, and are visibly buzzing while being present at most games. Does anybody think that our owners are calling Ateef Konate or Tyler Smith, let alone doing so to tell them they’re going to have a lovely time? Thohir doesn’t even follow the club on Twitter unless he’s decided to click the button in the last fortnight.

I’m very envious of Wrexham, because I remember what it was like to feel as though the club was bouncing while capturing the imagination of the county. I can still taste those hot dogs. I hope to taste them again one day.

Indeed, all fair points - and as I said, I agree with the sentiment of the original post. The parallels/contrast with our own ownership situation are clear and don’t paint our current board/executives in positive light at all.

I was just pointing it out that it is a comparably easier job to do it at that level when you’re laying down funds and competing essentially by yourself (Boreham Wood surely aren’t in the same stratosphere as Ryan Reynolds for instance) than our situation where, even if you spend big - as we have - you’re still fishing in waters patrolled by other, much bigger sharks than Maidstone, Dorking and Maidenhead…

Your point about that feeling when the entire county feels energised and in sync with the football club is VERY relevant though. We are very much not in that place right now (and desperately need to be given the stadium situation). And that chasm between the club, the fans and the wider county has been, in part, created by the incompetence of Karl Robinson. The same man who keeps popping up on all kinds of media outlets talking about how he put us back on the map. He did nothing of the sort…

Well said - ignore the fact he is popping up on radio stations left right and centre. He has always been an attention seeker - look at his post match interviews!!!

People who are really good at their jobs don’t want or need to self publicise themselves - KR is in the media more than Pep Guardiola!!!! I think the saying goes, empty vessels make most noise. Don’t let him wind you up!

I don't need or even want these folks turning up every game, I'm more than satisfied with them funding things from behind the scenes, but like you say, I want them to recruit someone to run the club who is passionate, competent and knows how to bring everyone with them in the same direction, upon initial inspection, it seems Williams and Ferguson maybe aren't those people.

It'll be interesting to see with Wrexham next season if some of the glamour disappears. I suspect they will do well in League 2

Last edited:
Difference between somewhere like Wrexham and Oxford is they are a strong working class community who love their football and their town, no matter what others think of it.

Oxford/Oxfordshire is not a strong working class community, it's not a passionate football area, so it's easier to galvinise support in somewhere like Wrexham.

For places like Wrexham, their team is part of their overall identity, can't say that about Oxford/Oxfordshire.

Difference between somewhere like Wrexham and Oxford is they are a strong working class community who love their football and their town, no matter what others think of it.

Oxford/Oxfordshire is not a strong working class community, it's not a passionate football area, so it's easier to galvinise support in somewhere like Wrexham.

For places like Wrexham, their team is part of their overall identity, can't say that about Oxford/Oxfordshire.

Yep, all they needed to do was get bought by massively a famously film star, have Disney make a documentary about them and get promoted with a record points total to bring that passion out.

They didn’t get any bigger crowds than we did pre the takeover so how is that a more footballing area?

I am jealous of what has happened there though, that’s the luck with takeovers though, they got rich owners who know how to make the most of it, we got rich owners who appointed Tim Williams.

I don't need or even want these folks turning up every game, I'm more than satisfied with them funding things from behind the scenes, but like you say, I want them to recruit someone to run the club who is passionate, competent and knows how to bring everyone with them in the same direction, upon initial inspection, it seems Williams and Ferguson maybe aren't those people.

It'll be interesting to see with Wrexham next season if some of the glamour disappears. I suspect they will do well in League 2
I went to see Wrexham play midweek at Dagenham a few weeks ago. They are very good. Look like a top end L1 team already. They'll go straight through L2.

With Wrexhams very high profile and ability to pay good wages they will be able to pick up some players no other league two team would have a chance of getting, add in the momentum and the fact they already have a good team then they will probably start favourites for league 2.

Back
Top Bottom