General Our Strongest Team...?

MustardYellow

Assuming all players are fit, what is our strongest starting 11?

Obviously this depends on the system/formation we're playing, but for me it has to be...:

Beadle
Stevens - Moore - Brown - Leigh
Mcguane - Brannagan
Browne - Rodrigues - Edwards
Harris

This leaves players like Mills, Bodin, Goodrham etc who can all make a good impact from the bench.

Would be interested to know what others thinks?

I agree, except one area - i'm not 100% convinced on Browne vs Mills. It might be a recency bias, but Mills has been really good, so direct and pacey - Browne can get lost in some games, so that's my only challenge... Hope to see Browne back and fully at it to prove me wrong as we move into December...

I agree, except one area - i'm not 100% convinced on Browne vs Mills. It might be a recency bias, but Mills has been really good, so direct and pacey - Browne can get lost in some games, so that's my only challenge... Hope to see Browne back and fully at it to prove me wrong as we move into December...
I see what you mean. My main issue with Browne is in my view he should get way more goals and assists than he does. Mills is still quite raw but a very exciting player to watch.

Having to choose between those two is a nice position to be in, though!

Harris ? Think I'd rather see Bodin up front. This 'strongest team' will likely look a bit different by end of January. For me, there's seven nailed on starters - Beadle, Moore, Leigh, Brannagan, McGuane, Rodrigues, Edwards. I think the rest you could put forward valid arguments for and against.

Dunno if 'strongest team' is really a thing now, it will vary according to who we are playing and what form individuals are in. I wouldn't include Browne, and I think Bodin would be unlucky to miss out, he's our top scorer and has started nearly every game.

edited to clarify: I would include Brown, I wouldn't include Browne.

Last edited:
Harris ? Think I'd rather see Bodin up front. This 'strongest team' will likely look a bit different by end of January. For me, there's seven nailed on starters - Beadle, Moore, Leigh, Brannagan, McGuane, Rodrigues, Edwards. I think the rest you could put forward valid arguments for and against.
Ehhh, I'm not convinced by Bodin up top. He's a player that works well in tight spaces and links play well - not the sort of player that will do much for you if he's chasing a ball in behind the defenders. Too slow!

Obviously this depends on the system/formation we're playing, but for me it has to be...:

Beadle
Mcguane - Brannagan
Harris

This leaves players like Mills, Bodin, Goodrham etc who can all make a good impact from the bench.

I would find people’s benches more intriguing than their first eleven in many ways. Based on your starting lineup I would have the below as subs if all were available:

Eastwood, Long, Thorniley, McEachran, Bodin, Mills, Goodrham.

Although if we had a better / more known quantity in reserve in the striking department then Goodrham would probably drop out for me.

In that scenario there are a few players sitting in the stands, let alone on the bench, who many people would probably class as capable of starting.

Dunno if 'strongest team' is really a thing now, it will vary according to who we are playing and what form individuals are in. I wouldn't include Brown, and I think Bodin would be unlucky to miss out, he's our top scorer and has started nearly every game.
I like Bodin but I think Rodrigues is arguably a better number 10 and I wouldn't play him out wide over any of our wingers. Could put him up top, but in any game where we need runners in behind I don't think he's that guy.

I would find people’s benches more intriguing than their first eleven in many ways. Based on your starting lineup I would have the below as subs if all were available:

No need for a GK on the bench imo. Was is Wilder who never bothered?

Long's usefulness is highlighted by your point, Negru is a good player capable of starting games, but his lack of versatility and the fact Long can do a job across the back line means it's a no-brainer.

Although if we had a better / more known quantity in reserve in the striking department then Goodrham would probably drop out for me.

In that scenario there are a few players sitting in the stands, let alone on the bench, who many people would probably class as capable of starting.
My main concern for the bench is central midfield. Personally don't rate McEachran. Would also take out one of the defenders for Murphy - you rarely change or bring on 2 defenders, and most of our defenders are quite versatile so can change roles accordingly.

My bench would probably be: Eastwood, Negru, McEachran (not many other options), Murphy, Mills, Goodhram, Bodin

Completely depends on who we are playing - if we are playing away to a team that would come on to us (oooo-er) then Harris absolutely starts up front.

I would definitely have Mills on the wing, he's completely different to every other winger we have in that he's direct and doesn't cut inside. I'd argue alongside Beadle he is currently our most important player.

It's probably a good thing that there could be so many debates/arguments for who gets in, shows how good we've been and which positions we are stacked in.

If there was a one off game at Wembley tomorrow I think my team would look like this;

Beadle

Stevens
Moore
Brown
Leigh

Brannagan
Mcguane

Mills
Rodrigues
Bodin

Harris

Subs; Eastwood, Negru, Mceachran, Edwards, Browne, Goodrham, O'Donkor.

On a separate note it's annoying the EFL don't allow 9 subs to be named like the PL do.

Beadle
Mcguane - Brannagan
Harris

My fear with Browne is that we'll never really see him again in any meaningful way.

Really hope I'm wrong here.

Our strongest team would entirely depend on who were playing.
I don't think the team changes that much regardless of who we play. If we have a style, system & a way of playing under Des I think we'll quickly see a favoured starting 11 and will largely (and rightly) stick to it regardless of opposition.

Completely depends on who we are playing - if we are playing away to a team that would come on to us (oooo-er) then Harris absolutely starts up front.

I would definitely have Mills on the wing, he's completely different to every other winger we have in that he's direct and doesn't cut inside. I'd argue alongside Beadle he is currently our most important player.

It's probably a good thing that there could be so many debates/arguments for who gets in, shows how good we've been and which positions we are stacked in.

If there was a one off game at Wembley tomorrow I think my team would look like this;

Beadle

Stevens
Moore
Brown
Leigh

Brannagan
Mcguane

Mills
Rodrigues
Bodin

Harris

Subs; Eastwood, Negru, Mceachran, Edwards, Browne, Goodrham, O'Donkor.
I agree with everything maybe other than the team being different depending on who we play. I think we need to give ourselves some credit - some of our overall performances recently haven't been us at our best, and we're still getting 'best team we've seen' shouts from the opposition. I'm not sure I can think of a team in the league who I can see causing us so many problems we need to start the game with a completely re-shuffled team/game plan?

Obviously tactics will vary, but most teams that do well in any division largely stick to their guns in terms of style of play and team selection (both Ipswich and Plymouth did so last season).

No need for a GK on the bench imo. Was is Wilder who never bothered?
When you’ve got seven places on the bench and five substitutions to be made, compared to five places and three substitutions like it was back then, it makes not having a spare GK a bit needlessly kamikaze IMO. Six outfield players really should be enough to change things up, Shirley?

Perhaps a compromise would be putting Ed McGinty on the bench instead, given nobody is really sure what he is or where he might decide to wander during a game.

Back
Top Bottom