Current Player Oisin Smyth

Big Ron

I obviously felt sympathy for Smyth hearing about his injury but I had to laugh at Robinson’s reference to a ‘long term plan’ for him. He may not be ready for a starting place but when we were desperately short of numbers you had kids starting ahead of him and players playing out of position, anything rather than actually seeing what he has to offer in the heat of a competitive game.

A long term plan? Just another reason I should switch off the radio or TV when he’s on. The man is delusional.

Last edited:
Another silly and risky signing by Robinson. If you're going to bring in a player from Ireland then like Sykes, they have to be instant first team material. We can't have another Cooper situation. Would also love to hear Robinson's plan for Jodie Jones..

Can’t help but feel that Robinson made a mistake when referencing wanting to get Smith in the shop window with his Conference loan which fell through on Saturday. Felt like he was retrospectively giving an alternative reason when Nathan challenged him on that.

Nathan was very good with his needling questions on Saturday btw.

Last edited:
Another silly and risky signing by Robinson. If you're going to bring in a player from Ireland then like Sykes, they have to be instant first team material. We can't have another Cooper situation. Would also love to hear Robinson's plan for Jodie Jones..
I’m not sure that something hasn’t gone on with Smyth and like Clare, Agyei and Jones (to name but three), there’s more to this than meets the eye.

He was a Mark Thomas signing. Not a Karl signing.

Don't agree about Smyth. Exactly the sort of signing we should be making. Young, not a very big fee and lots of potential. Don't forget it took Sykes 12 months or so to break through after he signed. I've posted before about Smyth. The Irish FA (it's actually the Northern Ireland FA- but called Irish, long story) don't understand why he's not even making the squad. Very good trainer, great attitude and they think he's easily L1 standard. Something has gone on. The loan that was arranged was Oldham btw.

To an outsider, what does that actually mean?

Does it mean that Robinson did not want him, but was outvoted? Does a Head of Recruitment have the final say?

You seem to know your stuff, so would be interested in hearing your thoughts re how recruitment decisions have been typically made.

To an outsider, what does that actually mean?

Does it mean that Robinson did not want him, but was outvoted? Does a Head of Recruitment have the final say?

You seem to know your stuff, so would be interested in hearing your thoughts re how recruitment decisions have been typically made.

The Irish signings are a lot more data driven. By scouts & Mark Thomas. Smyth/McGinty.

Then you have your signings that are players admired by Karl. Browne, Murphy, Baldock, Findlay, Bate, Joseph.

Then you’ve got your Tiger influenced signings. Wildschut & Anderson.

Then you’ve got Jodi Jones. Who came here on trial for pre season. His agent agreed it with us & Reading. Believe he’s a long time friend of Marcus Browne. Who helped set it up.

I’ve no way of knowing this, but it increasingly feels that under KR’s reign as manager there are ‘KR signings’ and there are ‘not KR signings’, certainly in the managers mind.

If you’re a KR signing you’re almost un-droppable regardless of form or performance. If you’ve been recommended by someone else there’s a good chance you’ll be singled out and made an example of, or played out of position, or just given the odd 5 or10 minute meaningless cameos, just to prove some sort of pathetic point about ‘talent-spotting’.

No doubt it’s not unique to Robinson, however it’s a form of bullying, some players will lose confidence and become withdrawn ending up as a player thrown on for the last 5 mins in a lost cause of a match often out of position. Some will rebel (& stand up for themselves) and quickly leave the club. Some bide their time, refuse a new contract and move on to pastures new when the time suits them All will have been poorly handled and mis-managed.

I’ve no way of knowing this, but it increasingly feels that under KR’s reign as manager there are ‘KR signings’ and there are ‘not KR signings’, certainly in the managers mind.

If you’re a KR signing you’re almost un-droppable regardless of form or performance. If you’ve been recommended by someone else there’s a good chance you’ll be singled out and made an example of, or played out of position, or just given the odd 5 or10 minute meaningless cameos, just to prove some sort of pathetic point about ‘talent-spotting’.

No doubt it’s not unique to Robinson, however it’s a form of bullying, some players will lose confidence and become withdrawn ending up as a player thrown on for the last 5 mins in a lost cause of a match often out of position. Some will rebel (& stand up for themselves) and quickly leave the club. Some bide their time, refuse a new contract and move on to pastures new when the time suits them All will have been poorly handled and mis-managed.
Yep

I obviously felt sympathy for Smyth hearing about his injury but I had to laugh at Robinson’s reference to a ‘long term plan’ for him. He may not be ready for a starting place but when we were desperately short of numbers you had kids starting ahead of him and players playing out of position, anything rather than actually seeing what he has to offer in the heat of a competitive game.

A long term plan? Just another reason I should switch off the radio or TV when he’s on. The man is delusional.
Where did you hear about his injury?

I at least hope, that since being at the club, someone has had the decency to nick name the lad sauce, if nothing else has come of his pretty pointless transfer here.

The way the guy was treated was a disgrace and if there was any way I could safely spill the beans it would be an absolute shitstorm.

It was not okay. At all.
I have to say when I did see him play DA looked to be frightened of something, maybe it was a complete lack of confidence or being bullied.