National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Interesting to hear Major, Heseltine, Clarke and Blair all speaking out against Johnson.
Some might say they are the voices of the past and those rejected by the voters.

Obviously don't like the guy, but Blair went 3-for-3 with the British electorate! Never got rejected by the voters at the polls.
And the only time that Major, Heseltine & Clarke lost out, when they were in positions of power, was to Blair.

Said it before, its not about "personalities & TV game shows" its about party policies & people.

And this - as I touched on in my rant yesterday - is the frickin' issue with Johnson.
His appeal is entirely about personality. In fact it was a TV game show that pretty much first cemented that appeal.
And on the flipside, he's as slippery as any politician I can think of - I've no idea what policies we're going to get from him, because he won't get into the details now.....and then with his track record, you can't expect him to deliver tomorrow the nebulous idea he does occasionally bluster about today anyhow.

Said it before, its not about "personalities & TV game shows" its about party policies & people.
Not one single party will please everyone so its a bit of a percentages game, pick the party that best matches your belief`s.
To be frank it matters not who the "leader" is.
Really!!! The leader is the executive had incredible power.

Really!!! The leader is the executive had incredible power.
Christmas lunch. How drunk was I? Should have said ...
The leader IN an executive HAS incredible power.
But at least I didn't text an ex ... I don't think!

• React
Reactions: m
Here in West Oxfordshire we’ve had at least 10 LibDem leaflets through our letter box, 2 Tory, & 1 Labour.

Interestingly but not surprising in the Labour leaflet there is not a single mention of Corbyn or a photo. Clearly a decision made at a local level. Corbyn is obviously seen as vote loser!

The Tory majority here is I think circa 5800? It would appear that the LibDems are campaigning hard, but I still expect the Tories to hold this seat. Labour will get a bit of a hammering.

After some convergence polls seem to have stabilised at 10 point conservative lead. Unless something massive happens in next 5 days, conservative majority looks highly likely.

Nuff said
Have to say, you cannot argue against any of the points raised in this Jonathan Pie video.

As one of the “5%”, I am not looking forward to more of what we’ve seen post coalition,
i.e. A Totally out of touch government and an inept, toothless opposition.
All with less than ideal “leaders”.
If Labour had kept there policy ambitions more mainstream, rather than attempting to control everything that moves, they would be walking it into No10 next week.
We shall see.

Have to say, you cannot argue against any of the points raised in this Jonathan Pie video.

As one of the “5%”, I am not looking forward to more of what we’ve seen post coalition,
i.e. A Totally out of touch government and an inept, toothless opposition.
All with less than ideal “leaders”.
If Labour had kept there policy ambitions more mainstream, rather than attempting to control everything that moves, they would be walking it into No10 next week.
We shall see.

Couldn't agree more re: labour. I think this election will be looked back upon as a missed opportunity for labour, and perhaps some could argue, the country.

Barring a miracle we will now have Boris for five years plus.
I feel Labour have heaped this all on themselves. Promising the earth when it is not possible. The Conservatives have managed to strike a chord with the electorate. They have banged on about getting brexit done where Labour have dodged the subject and the Liberals have sought to take the pro EU vote. I personally don’t think they’ve succeeded at doing that.
Even some of the most ardent remainers think it is dishonest for the opposition parties to refuse to accede to the referendum result.
Even if it is a bad thing economically to leave, the government consulted the people, and they gave their verdict. In a democracy the government should remember they are our servants not our masters.

Even some of the most ardent remainers think it is dishonest for the opposition parties to refuse to accede to the referendum result.
Even if it is a bad thing economically to leave, the government consulted the people, and they gave their verdict. In a democracy the government should remember they are our servants not our masters.
Once again, setting a position out before a general election, then carrying it out should you get elected, is exactly what democracy is about. It really staggers me the amount of people who fail to grasp this. Undemocratic is having a vote, then simply ignoring the result. This isn't happening.

After some convergence polls seem to have stabilised at 10 point conservative lead. Unless something massive happens in next 5 days, conservative majority looks highly likely.

Hope lots of people vote tactically. I have no political allegiance - Labour terrify me however a tory majority is even scarier

Once again, setting a position out before a general election, then carrying it out should you get elected, is exactly what democracy is about. It really staggers me the amount of people who fail to grasp this. Undemocratic is having a vote, then simply ignoring the result. This isn't happening.
Many politicians won’t accept the vote. Kenneth Clarke, Anna Soubry etc have all tried their level best to overturn the result. They’re trying to use the election as a means of overturning the referendum

Many politicians won’t accept the vote. Kenneth Clarke, Anna Soubry etc have all tried their level best to overturn the result. They’re trying to use the election as a means of overturning the referendum
They are using a vote to overturn something they don't agree with? So, to succeed they have to get voted in then yes? How very undemocratic of them trying to get a consensus for their plans...

Barring a miracle we will now have Boris for five years plus.
I feel Labour have heaped this all on themselves. Promising the earth when it is not possible. The Conservatives have managed to strike a chord with the electorate. They have banged on about getting brexit done where Labour have dodged the subject and the Liberals have sought to take the pro EU vote. I personally don’t think they’ve succeeded at doing that.

Boris Johnson is the one who made this election about Brexit and so I don’t see the problem with a party offering a stance of Remaining. I find people’s lack of understanding that crashing out without a deal/Boris’ awful deal was not what a lot of leavers voted for very confusing - It’s like if I did a vote with my family to go on holiday this summer then get upset when I say ‘ok, we’re going to Syria!’ ‘Well, you voted to go on holiday’ - Yeah but we were told it would be somewhere beautiful and hot, not a war zone!!

Boris Johnson is the one who made this election about Brexit and so I don’t see the problem with a party offering a stance of Remaining. I find people’s lack of understanding that crashing out without a deal/Boris’ awful deal was not what a lot of leavers voted for very confusing - It’s like if I did a vote with my family to go on holiday this summer then get upset when I say ‘ok, we’re going to Syria!’ ‘Well, you voted to go on holiday’ - Yeah but we were told it would be somewhere beautiful and hot, not a war zone!!
David Cameron was the one who arguably made it clear that voting no was a vote for a once in a lifetime. No ifs no buts.
I accept time has moved on, and Pete is right taking back control is not a good argument for coming.
With the EU part of my argument against is that if you imagine 28 people sitting around the table, none of them will agree on what to order. A bit like Brussels.
The accounts haven’t been signed off for years presumably because there is a black hole that can’t easily be filled. The EU will miss our money. Regrettably the deals put forward look worse than actually staying in

Regrettably the deals put forward look worse than actually staying in

Which is the most predictable part of the whole shoddy mess.

The deals that were being suggested by the likes of BoJo and Gove during the Leave campaign were absolute fantasy. And the worst thing is, they're smart people and must have known this. The EU has a set of red lines and principles that they were always going to stick to, which meant that the type of deals that May & BoJo eventually struck were, genuinely, the best on the table.

I think Remainers, including myself, rather overused the 'You can't have your cake and eat it' mantra - but it was true then, and it's still true now.

Of course I did. Your feet were firmly in your mouth before my feet landed :)
“Some business about culpability of an individual who happens to be related to a party GB opposes” -> “yeah, but what about how football fans are treated, huh, folks?”. If you’re looking for supporters of liberty you need to be looking away from your conservative politicians, and dropping the populist dog whistle.
You're really not bright aren't you? :LOL: The poster I was interacting with got it fine, must the be the Aussie water messing with yer mind.

Back
Top Bottom