National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Your post was about football fans, not about Shadow Home Secretary progeny, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at. If you were coherent in your logic I might be able to help.
It's consistency about posting names of being arrested and it being public- something Abbott was trying to hide - it's pretty clear if you can read ?‍♂️

I think the debate last night was a non-event - Johnson didn't mess up and Corbyn is just not dynamic or strong enough to adequately get at Boris. It was Corbyn's moment to change the perception of him and he did nothing more than wave a leaked document around and repeat manifesto pledges.

However, it's up to the Tories to turn the screw this week, and I don't think they are capable doing it either

I still can't believe Labour are not closer to the Tories. The UK has been a mess for the past 3 1/2 years since the Brexit vote and the Tories have a consistent 10 point poll lead. It should be the other way around, and maybe more. But somehow it's not. Even the Trump mud hasn't stuck to Boris.

I think the debate last night was a non-event - Johnson didn't mess up and Corbyn is just not dynamic or strong enough to adequately get at Boris. It was Corbyn's moment to change the perception of him and he did nothing more than wave a leaked document around and repeat manifesto pledges.

However, it's up to the Tories to turn the screw this week, and I don't think they are capable doing it either

I still can't believe Labour are not closer to the Tories. The UK has been a mess for the past 3 1/2 years since the Brexit vote and the Tories have a consistent 10 point poll lead. It should be the other way around, and maybe more. But somehow it's not. Even the Trump mud hasn't stuck to Boris.
This is a pretty decent summary imo. If Labour can’t beat a Johnson led tory party with almost 10 years of austerity behind it then you have to look at the reasons why. Imagine someone like David Milliband as Labour leader, the election would already be decided. Yes the Tory influenced right wing press have played a massive part in the demonisation of Corbyn but even so, beating Johnson and the tories with their current record should be pretty straightforward.

Quick question - if the gap between the two is around 10 points doesn’t that bring the SNP massively into play?

Tories lead is going to increase in my opinion. British people are not stupid; they want progress on Brexit , optimism about our country’s future, and a vaguely coherent economic policy. Thought both Johnson and. Corbyn performed decently in debate last night. At the end of the day though the British people have never voted far left. And never will.

Lib Dem’s in middle of road and run over.

This week I predict you’ll see Crosby/Levido put Corbin to the sword. Not sure what it’ll be on - I’m guessing some combination of “terrorist sympathiser”/“antisemitc party”. Last year it was the fact that the opposition leader’s first name was Bill, which led to mass advertising about “the Bill you can’t afford”. That’s all it took - an opposition leader that people don’t seem to warm to, a raft of otherwise popular policies and a primary school pun, and the avaricious evangelical dolt Morrison is now in the hot seat.

The polls suggest a Tory victory, if accurate then it’s a question how does that transfer into seats? Working majority or not?

Looks as if Labour have given up trying to win this election, it’s now about damage limitation for them.
With a moderate Leader, front bench and clear policies particularly on Brexit they could and would have won in my opinion.

Latest BBC poll tracker shows 42% of voters favour Tories, 32% Labour, 14% LibDem. That doesn't suggest a working majority. The poll tracker also suggests Tory support is flat-lining, Labour's support increasing, mainly at expense of LibDems. I doubt Labour have given up yet, but if Kier Starmer were leader then Labour's position would be much healthier.

In marginal ( 'shire) seats, a total of just 41,000 votes cast tactically can turn the balance of power ...

So it’s looking as if fewer than 100,000 votes could decide the whole GE in marginal seats. We could see a smattering of surprising results where long held seats by both Tory and Labour change hands.

Perhaps one or two Labour seats turning blue, and a couple of Tory seats going to the LibDems?

All will be revealed Thursday evening/ Friday morning!

Indeed. I'm now definitely staying up through the night! Could be most interesting election since 1997.

1997 was the only election where I stayed up and watched the results filter in. A real time of hope and expectation. I feel the total opposite towards Corbyn and the anti semites allowed to infiltrate the party.

I don’t think I’ll be staying up this time though, just watch the first few seats announced to see if there is a pattern emerging.

Someone has put a significant amount of money on a 47 seat majority for the Tories - I don't see it personally, but it seems that people/professional betters are now starting to wage heavily on a Tory majority now.

Even today, Labour just seem to be stuck in neutral at a time they can't afford to be, for whatever reason, their messaging is not resonating in size outside of the hardcore supporters and the amount of policies they've launched has been confusing to take in even for someone engaged in politics. And I don't think the Tories is much better either, but it is a lot simpler to understand as they have such few policies to sell to the public. Get Brexit done, rinse and repeat.

This is their current prediction
1575814840911.png

I'm surprised to see Labour lose so many seats, in all honesty. But losing 8%+ of the vote does that

Back
Top Bottom