National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

You know that all sounds like excuses? Labour can have as many exciting policies as they want, but no one believes in them, and in particular, Corbyn to carry them through.

Johnson is an absolute buffoon, and it's not difficult to find dozens of examples of him bluffing, blagging and bullshitting his way through every political discussion, but still in pretty much every demographic that you care to look at, he is head and shoulders above Corbyn.

And don't whine about the mainstream media. It is at an all time low for influencing opinion. Twitter, Facebook and social media platforms are where most people get their information, and there are plenty of high profile sources that are really driving the Labour agenda. But the voters aren't buying it.

Talk of the NHS being privatised comes up every election, and nothing changes. Of course some services are outsourced, but this happened under Labour as much as the Tories. But fundamentally, the core function of the NHS has remained, and will do no matter who is elected.

Brexit. Every political party bar one has a clear policy. The Lib Dems are throwing everything behind remain and will likely more than double their MP's as a result. Tories are united behind leaving, and have lost some experienced MP's as a result, but will likely win a number of other seats. Labour is sitting on the fence, but can't even do that with conviction.

The economy. Regardless of costing the manifesto or not, the vast majority of people simply do not trust Labour with the economy. Austerity has crippled the country and we have to start spending and investing again. But yet again, polls indicate that people would rather trust the Tories to fix what they broke in the first place rather than let Corbyn loose with the national purse.

So, by all means, bleat away at how everything is so unfair, but Labour are on course for their worst results in decades at a time when they should be strolling into power - and the problem is entirely of their own making.
tenor.gif

Don’t drop that mike too soon...

Still -nice to know that you agree that your future Prime Minister is a charlatan and austerity has crippled the country.

Remember the election before last, when all it took was a bacon sandwich to completely derail an election campaign?

Now even the worst sociopaths are bulletproof as long as they lie and cheat with the proper conviction.

Don’t like Twitter. Don’t “ whine” about the “ mainstream media” though If you think the Sun or Telegraph is “ mainstream “ then your stream is very far to the right. Hello magazine is Like old style World in Action compared to the The Telegraph treats Johnson. It pays him 250000 a year too, or did until very recently. Johnson called that “ chicken feed”

40 percent of the country voted for Corbyn’s Labour Party and if you think the Labour Party ‘s arguments get 40 percent of the coverage then I have a stadium to sell you.

We’ll see -that’s why we’re having an election- given the extent the press is stacked up against Labour, the scale of the financial difference and the dirty tricks the Tories are playing it would be a miracle if Labour got a result , but at least Labour has exciting policies and a belief in the future.

That does sound like a football manager blaming injuries and suspensions before they have even stepped on the pitch.

Labour have clear advantages as well. Johnson will have put a lot of floating voters off (you have said that he us a cheat and liar and there is nothing good about him- that is Labour's opponent)

The Tories have been in power now for what 9 years, and have screwed up Brexit.

Any competent Labour leader should have walked this election. Corbyn may have some decent policies (I agree with quite a few of them), but my suspicion is that the voters are scared of his policies. Scared that he will bankrupt the country and return it to the 1970's.

Corbyn is in my view not a competent leader and my suspicion is that the votes for the minor parties will never be higher as people will see BOTH of the major parties as car crashes.

Yeah I used the wrong word and you are correct to pick me up on it ?

Thanks, so YellowTaxi was completely wrong saying 40% "of the country" voted Labour then. 12 million is about a sixth of the country. Now, could have said "of the electorate" I suppose, which would have been closer to the truth.

I shall be sure to pay the lesson forwards!

Don’t like Twitter. Don’t “ whine” about the “ mainstream media” though If you think the Sun or Telegraph is “ mainstream “ then your stream is very far to the right. Hello magazine is Like old style World in Action compared to the The Telegraph treats Johnson. It pays him 250000 a year too, or did until very recently. Johnson called that “ chicken feed”

40 percent of the country voted for Corbyn’s Labour Party and if you think the Labour Party ‘s arguments get 40 percent of the coverage then I have a stadium to sell you.

You are right, at the last election there was that massive swing to Labour following a pretty decent election campaign by Corbyn and an absolutely awful one by May.

That proves that Labour have got supporters up and down the country, but rather than harness that support and pick up the many who have become disillusioned by the Brexit process, Corbyn is losing voters everywhere. Why? Because he has failed to deal with the issues inside his own camp. The antisemitism issue has massively wounded Labour, and the lack of direction on Brexit will likely kill it off. Corbyn could have absolutely nailed both with very clear leadership and direct action.

If he had supported the Brexit deal put through by May, he would have been seen as the one to make Brexit happen when the Tories were fighting themselves. He would have swept to power on that alone. If he had taken a similar approach to the Lib Dems, to use this election to campaign between the May deal or remain, he would have also likely won the election. But he did neither. And that dithering has left us where we are today.

With the antisemitism, he needed to say very clearly that every instance would be dealt firstly by suspension from the party and if proven, a lifetime ban from the party. He apologises openly for those hurt by the comments of the few and how they have tainted the many. If this had happened even a year ago, with a few big examples being made, it would have stopped. But he has done nothing and will forever lose not only the Jewish vote, but many others who have lost faith in his leadership.

So that 40% of the electorate could now become less than 30% in 3 weeks time during a period where the Tories were fighting themselves, had fucked up Brexit and have the biggest idiot for a leader since Screaming Lord Sutch stepped down. And, the blame for that must start and finish with Corbyn. The likes of David Miliband would have moon walked to power by now.

David Miliband was seen by so many in the Labour Party as a credible leader, including me.
corbyn managed to collect a lot of the student vote with his promises to get rid of tuition fees, however, with May as leader he was still unable to make the breakthrough despite her weak leadership.
I know Johnson is a liar on so many things, but I think he has trumped this election...pardon the pun. He has promised to get brexit done, and many relate to that. He has the personality lacking in Corbyn and Swinson.
I don’t like the choice on offer, but luckily I do have Howling Lord Hope standing where I live. He’s the leader of the Official Raving Looney Party and used to own my local pub. I reckon he’s got more idea than The current ‘leaders’

I know several people who have voted Labour in the past including traditional labour voters and they are saying that they definitely won’t be voting Labour at this GE.

In general citing the inept leadership over Brexit and the stench of anti semitism that has been allowed to engulf the party.

Johnson was prevented from adhering to his deadline by a strongly Remain Parliament not wanting to honour the votes of the largest democratic mandate ever seen in the UK. Let’s see what happens on 12th December, I suspect it won’t be a strongly Remain Parliament the following week.

Johnson pulled his deal, all he had to do was allow a proper period for scrutiny rather than a laughable 3 days.

It does seem laughable three days.
I’m sure the remain lobby would’ve preferred three years, especially the Liberal ‘Democrat’ lobby.
I have a feeling this will end up with a second referendum, and we will all be told what a big mistake we’ve made to vote out

Funny all those people apparently concerned about antisemitism -yet who aren’t bothered at all about the stench of antisemitism in the Conservative Party. Jacob Rees Mogg called two Jewish Tory MP’s members of the Illuminati (a well known antisemitic conspiracy theory) and repeated other slurs about George Soros.
Is it two or 3 Conservative candidates who have had to resign for Holocaust denial this week? The Conservative allies in the European Parliament included the far right Alternative fuer Deutschland that repeats antisemitic slurs and are trying to rehabilitate the Wehrmacht and the SS. Rees Mogg often speaks about them enthusiastically.

It seems to me that concern about antisemitism often has more to do with attacking the Labour Party than supporting Jewish people. But then every research shows antisemitic views are unsurprisingly more common on the right and in the Conservative Party

Back
Top Bottom