National News Nanny State.............

Scotland has banned smacking children

bet theyve retainedthe glasgow kiss / headbutt though ;)

So Scotland classifies smacking a child as "assault".
Nanny State.

In other news kids are stabbing each other for looking at them the wrong way.

Discipline has left the building............................

As a kid I got the occasional, deserved, smack, but that was tempered with unconditional parental love. "You done bad, smack, move on".
What now? Society has produced a perfect excuse for the next generation of feral parents to raise more "untouchable" kids.

I give up.

It wasn’t unconditional if they were assaulting you. Sorry to burst your bubble.

There is a massive difference between reprimanding a child for doing something stupid/wrong/dangerous and "assault".
On the occasions it happened to me it "pulled me up sharp" and made me stop, think and realise that the cause was my actions and that my parents had reacted sharply to stop that moment.

I`m sure a lot of folk on here had the same and it hasn`t harmed them in any way shape or form, or converted them into brutal thugs beating their way through life!

There is a massive difference between reprimanding a child for doing something stupid/wrong/dangerous and "assault".
On the occasions it happened to me it "pulled me up sharp" and made me stop, think and realise that the cause was my actions and that my parents had reacted sharply to stop that moment.

I`m sure a lot of folk on here had the same and it hasn`t harmed them in any way shape or form, or converted them into brutal thugs beating their way through life!

Nope. Sorry. My parents never beat me. Sorry to hear that yours did.

My parents never hit me, and I never hit my kids. For some strange reason, none of us has ever been involved in knife crime, violence or anything else anti-social. I'd suggest that children are more affected by absentee fathers, neglectful parents, poverty, poor housing, substandard education, etc than they are by not having someone ten times their strength and size hitting them.

Different generation I guess, I don`t need the sympathy thanks. I deserved each & every one, it was their nuclear option.
To be fair to them it worked because I never did the stupid/wrong/dangerous things twice!! ?

The same notions have been expressed for hundreds of years in all 'developed' nations.

It doesn't make it true.

Aye, and it's categorically not true. Violence has been steadily decreasing for years.

Anyone interested in this should start with reading Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature.

• React
Reactions: m
Different generation I guess, I don`t need the sympathy thanks. I deserved each & every one, it was their nuclear option.
To be fair to them it worked because I never did the stupid/wrong/dangerous things twice!! [emoji16]

Different generation? I’m 56!

I was smacked, I was never beaten.

As it happens, I've never been involved in knife crime... But I do have a few knives.

I don’t know anybody who started committing crime because they were never slapped about as a form of discipline. I DO know several, though, who did or who became caught up in various other unruly activities, because they were by their own admission screwed up from being treated aggressively in their youth. When you normalise any form of violence or acts of aggression, you increase the chances of that individual carrying them on in later life. You’re offering it as a solution to a problem, and in turn taking away their ability to learn to reason, process and communicate. That’s arguably the most overlooked thing here - it actively discourages communication and rational thought, because it’s encouraging silence and fearful obedience. If you don’t explain WHY something is wrong, which you only stand a chance of getting through to a child if they are remotely calm and not racked with fear and distress, they can never learn to process and evaluate, or reflect. It actively prevents learning the answer, and instead merely teaches a response. Weirdly, given how many people I know who never got smacked once in their life, they aren’t all running around and committing crime. It’s almost like... you don’t need to smack a kid to effectively teach them right from wrong? And if that’s the case then what difference does it make if it’s illegal? If anything it can only force some people to not do it, and actually try to teach their damn kids something beyond what a slap feels like. Christ, we might even start producing more developed adults who have got at least a basic ability to reason and rationalise situations, and who don’t consider acts of aggression a reasonable way to solve problems.

Terrible.

Smacking and communication of wrong doing are not mutually exclusive.

Some seem to be equating smacking with getting beaten up and living in fear. My childhood was far different to that.

I did learn limits though, and that there could be a consequence if I went beyond those.

I’m not so sure whacking children is the best way.
I’m of an older generation but still remember kids being caned in front of the class. The only message I think that sends out is that children will fear adults.
And I noticed it was always the same kids getting punished, so I’m not sure it works, especially with repeat offenders.
When I reflect on what happened years ago, kids would be punished for writing with their left hand, having dyspraxia, dyslexia, ADHD etc....surely we have moved on from the days kids were seen and not heard.

Back
Top Bottom