General Modern Football: Is It Just Boring?

Football definitely has an ageing fanbase, they are doing nothing about it now but will have a problem in the future as attendances start to drop as those older fans can no longer make games. I get the feeling that going to football games is seen as both unaffordable but a bit of an old man thing among the younger generation.
I think it depends really. If you live in Oxfordshire, only do home games and don't go to the pub, get food etc before the game it can be a fairly cheap hobby. If you want to do the full shebang it gets insanely expensive, as most of us on this forum know!

I also think kids just prefer to do other things now. Do young lads these days want to be sat in a pub their dad and his mates before a game while their friends are down the park snapchatting girls? Social media gives kids constant FOMO.

I think it depends really. If you live in Oxfordshire, only do home games and don't go to the pub, get food etc before the game it can be a fairly cheap hobby. If you want to do the full shebang it gets insanely expensive, as most of us on this forum know!

I also think kids just prefer to do other things now. Do young lads these days want to be sat in a pub their dad and his mates before a game while their friends are down the park snapchatting girls? Social media gives kids constant FOMO.

When I was young me and my mates just went to the games without parents, used to get a lot of kids on the London Road back then, I often tell my missus that when she is smothering my step daughter, get told to f**k off mind.

When I was young me and my mates just went to the games without parents, used to get a lot of kids on the London Road back then, I often tell my missus that when she is smothering my step daughter, get told to f**k off mind.
Yep I remember seeing many kids of my age on the LRT when I was 9. Unfortunately I could see them from the Osler Road, the only place dad would let me go... 🤣

I seem to remember reading some stats somewhere that the average age of Chelsea season tickets has incremented every year for 15 years - IE it is the same people just getting older.

I suppose Chelsea will just replace them with tourists and business men networking as they die off.

Aye, crowd surges were regular things and great fun.

Even if you didn't find them fun you didn't have a lot of choice, they just took you with them. I struggle to get to my seat now because the middle aged couple who sit at the end of the row I sit on don't like letting people past, even though the game hasn't started and other people have paid for the seats past them, does make me think that the game has changed a bit to much.

Tbh I think that probably helped with overall behaviour too. Let out in the world young and you learn to regulate your emotions and behaviours without mummy or daddy there to fix all your problems for you. Now kids are coddled their whole lives, then just let out at 14 and feel invincible. We're seeing the consequences of that everywhere.

It's a fine balance. We definitely need younger fans more engaged, but we need the right sort of engagement. I've brought people to games before who haven't come back because groups of teenagers have decided that the ST we've paid for now belongs to them because they're more important, of course. We get them to move along as far as possible, but that just led to us being packed in like sardines sharing a seat between 3 of us and taking up space from other ST holders too. Some people like that, but most probably don't. Behaviour like that just makes people feel uncomfortable.

Tbh I think that probably helped with overall behaviour too. Let out in the world young and you learn to regulate your emotions and behaviours without mummy or daddy there to fix all your problems for you. Now kids are coddled their whole lives, then just let out at 14 and feel invincible. We're seeing the consequences of that everywhere.

It's a fine balance. We definitely need younger fans more engaged, but we need the right sort of engagement. I've brought people to games before who haven't come back because groups of teenagers have decided that the ST we've paid for now belongs to them because they're more important, of course. We get them to move along as far as possible, but that just led to us being packed in like sardines sharing a seat between 3 of us and taking up space from other ST holders too. Some people like that, but most probably don't. Behaviour like that just makes people feel uncomfortable.
We were probably guilty of that as the Ultras. It was frustrating for existing ST holders but it naturally grew out of that area (top of East Stand), where singers have always congregated and many of us already had season tickets. The more displays, flags, singing and bouncing around that occurred encouraged more to get involved. More fans wanting to get involved meant it kept getting better and bigger but you were then strangled by not being able to congregate in that area due to the space being so limited and congested. It then creates division between those wanting to make something happen and those who have always been there and don't want anything like that happening around them.

It leads to fans buying tickets for somewhere else in the stand and "bundling in" to join the group. It was at that point I knew we needed our own unreserved seating area in an emptier section of the ground to grow it further. However there isn't a single part of the ground where there isn't at least one season ticket holder who's had that season ticket since the stadium opened and will probably feel uncomfortable with it. Although it came close the club didn't want to upset anyone and told us to get on with it, that's where the progress strangled and it ended up petering out.

The only way of making real progress is the club making an unreserved singing section where flags can be waved during the match and the allocation will be reduced. They have to weigh up making significant improvement in atmosphere vs upsetting a few to do so. For me, at least in the past, that was the most important thing about a match day. I was more concerned about the atmosphere being good than about OUFC winning on the day, but I'm probably in the minority there. I think every club has good and bad footballing spells throughout the years but the one constant you remember about each club is the atmosphere you experienced.

We were probably guilty of that as the Ultras. It was frustrating for existing ST holders but it naturally grew out of that area (top of East Stand), where singers have always congregated and many of us already had season tickets. The more displays, flags, singing and bouncing around that occurred encouraged more to get involved. More fans wanting to get involved meant it kept getting better and bigger but you were then strangled by not being able to congregate in that area due to the space being so limited and congested. It then creates division between those wanting to make something happen and those who have always been there and don't want anything like that happening around them.

It leads to fans buying tickets for somewhere else in the stand and "bundling in" to join the group. It was at that point I knew we needed our own unreserved seating area in an emptier section of the ground to grow it further. However there isn't a single part of the ground where there isn't at least one season ticket holder who's had that season ticket since the stadium opened and will probably feel uncomfortable with it. Although it came close the club didn't want to upset anyone and told us to get on with it, that's where the progress strangled and it ended up petering out.

The only way of making real progress is the club making an unreserved singing section where flags can be waved during the match and the allocation will be reduced. They have to weigh up making significant improvement in atmosphere vs upsetting a few to do so. For me, at least in the past, that was the most important thing about a match day. I was more concerned about the atmosphere being good than about OUFC winning on the day, but I'm probably in the minority there. I think every club has good and bad footballing spells throughout the years but the one constant you remember about each club is the atmosphere you experienced.
For the love of god, reform the ultras, PLEASE! 🙏

To be fair, I was in the same place I am now when you lot were there and I don't recall us ever having a problem! We've had way more issue since most of you guys left. It's just about being respectful of other people's space, really.

I completely agree. Allocate a block (or maybe half a block depending on how many are interested) in the East Stand as a 'singing section'. Give those with existing ST's there the option to either stay, or allow them to come to the stadium and pick a new ST. Maybe even offer a sort of compensation to soften the blow.

This thread is interesting. While there's no "right" answer to it (I guess "boringness" is subjective) I think overall the answer to "is football more boring" is...

Yes, but probably not by as much of a margin as some think.

Maybe there is an aspect of rose tinted glasses.

Older heads on here, in the 00s, 90s and 80s did older fans say it was better back in their day?

Yep I remember seeing many kids of my age on the LRT when I was 9. Unfortunately I could see them from the Osler Road, the only place dad would let me go... 🤣
My dad took me in the Osler Road once. We were meant to beat Exeter and win Div 3. Exeter then got a last minute equaliser and the whole of the Osler was on the pitch!

*We've bought season tickets in the popular singing and standing area, but actually we aren't 20 anymore and more like 50 or 60, but still want that spot. And if we turn up at kick-off please move out of our seats, and if you are front of us please sit down.

*We've bought season tickets in the popular singing and standing area, but actually we aren't 20 anymore and more like 50 or 60, but still want that spot. And if we turn up at kick-off please move out of our seats, and if you are front of us please sit down.
Which is why I hope in the new ground season tickets aren't sold in the block directly behind the goal. Make it a 'membership stand' with people getting points for all games they attend, meaning should we draw a big team in the cup those with most points get tickets first.

Back
Top Bottom