General Is 5 Subs Too Many?

Is 5 subs too many?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would imagine 5 subs came in as it benefits the teams with the biggest squads in the Premier League.

It’s also extremely useful when several of your players can only play for 45 minutes

It’s the same for both teams , so I don’t see an issue with it.
I don't think that's a valid argument, as you could make it for absolutely any change or proposed change. Play with a cube instead of a sphere, completely ban heading, do away with refs (although ...), make the goals twice as wide - same for both teams!

My problem is that is that (like some of my daft examples would do) I think that five subs is materially changing the games to quite a large degree and I think that is an unintended consequence.

Just think of all those unused players from the squad - what a waste of wages 😉There are more serious changes to worry about like sin bins and blue cards and not forgetting VAR higher up you go.

My opinion on this has changed significantly in the last few weeks.
I used to be dead against so many, but I've mellowed out a bit since then,

So if someone is taken off due to showing 'signs' of concussion (which can just be a headache), are evaluated and are found to not actually have a concussion, then the concussion substitution was used when a player didn't have a concussion, which is what I said.
They are also used when there is a suspicion of a concussion. By the way if a player had a significant head injury and was complaining of a headache straight after, trust me that would ring alarm bells for concussion.

3 is enough.

5 is the thick part of half the team.

No goalkeeper sub, stick an outfield player in.

Its an entertainment business.

Yep, 3 was a good number for me.

I fully understand the need to treat players who have concussion, but why should that be granted a free substitution? Doesn't happen for any other injury. I know the idea is that it prevents managers just suggesting he can run if off, but if the physios can see the player is concussed, they should be removed just like any other injured player. If you've made all your subs and lose a player to injury, tough luck for having played your full hand of subs and not keeping one back!

Also, as suggested previously, it's possible to feign the symptoms of a concussion to gain that extra sub. You'd like to think it wouldn't happen, but remember "blood-gate" in the rugby, where your man bit into a blood capsule to make it look like he was bleeding and gain that extra substitution!

Perhaps a neutral official physio could play the part of a 5th official, purely to assess a player's ability to stay on, as opposed to relying on the word of that club's own staff (who could hypothetically be in on the act)? Probably becomes a bit much for what would be a relatively rare requirement though...

rules - 5 subs from 7 named on bench (5 from 9 in Championship).

Each Club is only permitted a maximum of three opportunities to make substitutions during the Competition Match. A Club may make more than one substitution at each of its three opportunities. Clubs may make substitutions at half time and any substitutions made will not count towards the maximum of three opportunities.

In addition to the five substitutions permitted by the rule above, each Club shall also be permitted to utilise up to two ‘concussion substitutes’ and/or two ‘additional substitutes’ (as appropriate) from those substitutes listed on the Team Sheet, strictly in accordance with the provisions of the International Football Association Board’s ‘Additional permanent concussion substitutes – Protocol B’ (‘IFAB Protocol’) and any associated guidance issued by the League. Each Club must provide the League with such information as is necessary to ensure compliance with the IFAB Protocol in respect of any ‘concussion substitute’ made within 10 days of receiving such a request from the League.

Five subs is ok but I like the idea of only having a limited number of chances to do so. Say half time and two or three other occasions and allowing the ref the authority to allow more due to injuries etc.

Edit: just seen the post before mine. For the first time in a blue moon I’m in agreement with the rules!

Back
Top Bottom