General Is 5 Subs Too Many?

Is 5 subs too many?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZeroTheHero

I am starting to think that being able to change half of the outfield players during the course of a game is simply too many. It has changed the game more than I thought it would, with late subs almost coming on as 'special teams' to bolster the defence or attack depending on the game situation.

Perhaps three subs would be a more reasonable number - you could make a couple of tactical subs and hold one back for injury?

I thought there was a rule that you could make substitutions at three times in the game plus at half time. But it seems to be the case now to make four second half substitutions not necessarily in three blocks, saving one for injuries.
Perhaps linked with matches lasting longer with added time, it is likely to be the forwards who get subbed to bring on someone with fresh legs.
Also modern pitches and fitter players I assume means players cover a lot more distance during a game than they would have thirty years ago, so it is part of the game now to plan for those subs.
It has made a mess of my goalscorer betting, as the starting forwards are unlikely to last a whole game, and the sub forwards may only be on for 25 minutes.

I am starting to think that being able to change half of the outfield players during the course of a game is simply too many. It has changed the game more than I thought it would, with late subs almost coming on as 'special teams' to bolster the defence or attack depending on the game situation.

Perhaps three subs would be a more reasonable number - you could make a couple of tactical subs and hold one back for injury?
it is starting to get a bit ott IMO ( when I first started watching the U's there were NO substitutes) ... what next, revolving substitutions ( like American football)- hopefully not

Id agree with it being limited to 3 subs .... wasn't the 5 sub thingy bought in during covid, with up to 3 prior to that?

Also modern pitches and fitter players I assume means players cover a lot more distance during a game than they would have thirty years ago
True, but then 'back in the day' players (some of whom had probably just put their half time fag out!) were often slogging across pitches that resembled ploughed fields, mudbaths or Brighton beach - which was probably more energy sapping!

Don't forget you also have the additional 'concussion sub', which can be used even when a player doesn't have a concussion...

True, but then 'back in the day' players (some of whom had probably just put their half time fag out!) were often slogging across pitches that resembled ploughed fields, mudbaths or Brighton beach - which was probably more energy sapping!

Although the average players weren't quite as near to the edge of fitness/injury as they are now due to Sports Science.

That shows that the concussion substitution was used legitimately. A concussion diagnosis isn't something that can be done in minutes on a football pitch. The substitution is allowed for those showing signs of concussion to be taken off for further and more lengthy examination.

Your suggestion that they are misused is rubbish.

The rules say it can be used when a player shows 'signs' of concussion

Yes but the Morecambe player had gone off for a concussion so they had a matching sub.

I think they introduced the opposition team also getting a matching substitution to try to stop clubs/players faking head injuries to get the extra sub. Even though a player going off for a head injury will (or should) be unavailable for however long, I would still expect some clubs to try it on.

That shows that the concussion substitution was used legitimately. A concussion diagnosis isn't something that can be done in minutes on a football pitch. The substitution is allowed for those showing signs of concussion to be taken off for further and more lengthy examination.

Your suggestion that they are misused is rubbish.
So if someone is taken off due to showing 'signs' of concussion (which can just be a headache), are evaluated and are found to not actually have a concussion, then the concussion substitution was used when a player didn't have a concussion, which is what I said.

The rules say it can be used when a player shows 'signs' of concussion
Well of course as this is trying to protect players.
Your implication to me was that a concussion substitution can be made regardless.

So if someone is taken off due to showing 'signs' of concussion (which can just be a headache), are evaluated and are found to not actually have a concussion, then the concussion substitution was used when a player didn't have a concussion, which is what I said.
But that's a good thing, it means players can be withdrawn if there is a question over their concussion status, which as mentioned further up the thread isn't a quick diagnosis.

Going back to the original point, I believe there are 2 available concussion substitutions (unless the rules have changed recently), so if a team had used all 5 of its permitted 'normal' substitutions already, then it is possible they could change 7 outfield players in the course of 90mins, and their opponents could do the same. A bit of a ludicrous situation.

3 subs (not including concussion subs) is plenty.

If a club uses a concussion substitute, aren’t they also automatically ruling the player out for a period of time (as Sam Long was)? Or is it more nuanced than that?

It’s the same for both teams , so I don’t see an issue with it.
Although if one of the teams has a much depleted squad, it could be advantageous to the opposition.

Back
Top Bottom