Matches Hull ticket details announced

"The U's". Common misuse of an apostrophe.

I remember questioning this a few seasons ago. James Brownlie (remember him?) took me to task on the basis that OUFC would not make grammatical mistakes, so I must be wrong. James Brownlie was / is a solicitor. :(
Actually, the use of the apostrophe in that example is grammatically correct. Its use is permitted where it removes confusion for the reader.

Us is a word and reading ‘The Us’ could be confusing to the reader, whereas the apostrophe in U’s removes any confusion with the word ‘us’.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I was taught that apostrophes could be used in the case of possessives (Peter's hat) or contractions (there's = there is). Use to avoid confusion is new to me and, frankly, sounds a bit of a cop out from using common rules.

You also frequently see references to "MOT's" at garages. Is this to avoid confusion to the reader too?

(The fact that Brownlie liked "U's" should maybe exclude it from use anyway. :))
Same here but I've become used to the English language being mangled, manipulated and misused ad nausea. Adjectives become nouns and other words become taboo. Every year new words move from colloquialisms and slang to become accepted. I've realised that one of the pitfalls of age is losing track of what means what and when a word can be used and when not.

If someone is exempt from wearing a mask you have to questions if attending a football in midwinter during a global pandemic is a good idea.
What has a mask exemption on medical grounds got to do with you not being allowed to attend a football match in winter, summer or any other time? There are many “medical” reasons for being mask exempt and many for physiological reasons. discrimination On medical grounds is enshrined in law, as we all know nobody is above the law, not the football club, the EFL or anybody else.

As an aside I have asked the club namely a ctheobald there policy on mask exemption and attending matches and have been met by total silence.

Last edited:
Same here but I've become used to the English language being mangled, manipulated and misused ad nausea. Adjectives become nouns and other words become taboo. Every year new words move from colloquialisms and slang to become accepted. I've realised that one of the pitfalls of age is losing track of what means what and when a word can be used and when not.

Well the language never has and never will stop evolving so I guess we've all got no choice but to get used to it!

(And expect others to forgive our honest mistakes)

Interesting. I was taught that apostrophes could be used in the case of possessives (Peter's hat) or contractions (there's = there is). Use to avoid confusion is new to me and, frankly, sounds a bit of a cop out from using common rules.

You also frequently see references to "MOT's" at garages. Is this to avoid confusion to the reader too?

(The fact that Brownlie liked "U's" should maybe exclude it from use anyway. :))
The example of MOT’s is also correct on the basis that the ‘s’ without the apostrophe could be seen as another shortened word in the acronym.

Different style books will direct accordingly, but they are used to direct consistency, not as a singular document of truth.

Using a bit of common sense, you are perhaps going to be perhaps 2 metres downwind of some spluttery old git for the best part of two hours. So if they are wearing a mask that hopefully contains their phlegm within the mask rather than over the back of your head.
That's just standard fare in the SSU.

It's my personal view, and accept that others will disagree, but if it's unsafe for someone to wear a mask for 2 hours, then it's also unwise to attend a mass sporting event that is not essential. Masks are to protect others. In an open environment where the wind swirls around, anyone not wearing a mask potentially puts 999 others at risk on Saturday, and an outbreak could stop future games being open to the public. I would hope that everyone wears a mask at all times.

I've had a phone call in the last half hour from the ticket office, apparently the system sat me next to someone so would I mind if I was moved along a bit, thought that was good of them to let me know

The example of MOT’s is also correct on the basis that the ‘s’ without the apostrophe could be seen as another shortened word in the acronym.

Different style books will direct accordingly, but they are used to direct consistency, not as a singular document of truth.
As an ex-English teacher I can, for what it’s worth, confirm that Yankee is correct. However, I hope that Pete is not going to take up a job as grammar police on this forum; he’ll be a very busy man!

ASo are they now saying it's the Government definition of the social bubble that we need to adhere to? Making the social bubble survey redundant? What was the point of the survey at the time then? The rule of six has been constant since March so the rules haven't really changed?
At the time it was relevant to the original crowd trial match which then has to be postponed. For goodness, sake with Covid regulations everything has been in flux, pity those at the club trying to understand, interpret and implement changing regulations whilst also keeping fans safe.

At the time it was relevant to the original crowd trial match which then has to be postponed. For goodness, sake with Covid regulations everything has been in flux, pity those at the club trying to understand, interpret and implement changing regulations whilst also keeping fans safe.

So why come out and say this on Tuesday? I have no problem with the rules...Just be clear!

received_462417001393669.jpeg

Isn't that exactly the point of a trial, to test all the booking systems as well as Covid protocols work?
What you may not know is that in this instance the club is blameless. Ticket master somehow wiped all the distancing data from the system rendering the sale/allocation of tickets impossible.
The point being that the fault lay not with the user.

ad nauseam ;)

What has a mask exemption on medical grounds got to do with you not being allowed to attend a football match in winter, summer or any other time? There are many “medical” reasons for being mask exempt and many for physiological reasons. discrimination On medical grounds is enshrined in law, as we all know nobody is above the law, not the football club, the EFL or anybody else.

As an aside I have asked the club namely a ctheobald there policy on mask exemption and attending matches and have been met by total silence.
My point is if someone has a medical problem which makes it difficult to wear a mask then why attend a football match when there's a deadly virus that affects the respiratory system going around? If one can wear a mask then it should be worn but if someone has a medical issue that stops this then shouldn't trips out be to essential locations only? Up to the individual to assess the risk of course.

Why do people need to wear a mask if they are sitting at their allocated seat which is going to be socially distanced from others, what if they are exempt from wearing a mask?
You don't have to. You can give your ticket to me and I'll wear a mask.

My point is if someone has a medical problem which makes it difficult to wear a mask then why attend a football match when there's a deadly virus that affects the respiratory system going around? If one can wear a mask then it should be worn but if someone has a medical issue that stops this then shouldn't trips out be to essential locations only? Up to the individual to assess the risk of course.

Quite right sir, most people with medical issues just want to be treated equally, and yes they know the ups and downs which go with that, most of them are prepared to, as you say, risk it.

Back
Top Bottom