#hergametoo

In a long interview with Caroline Brouwer about being a physio for Wimbledon during the time of the 1988 FA Cup Final, I think it's Amy Cranston who gets an indirect mention for a match between AFC Wimbledon and Oxford United, where she came on the pitch, and she was treated as just a physio by the fans, no jeers etc.

Sadly it seems that a few of our fans still have an issue with female assistant referees.

In a long interview with Caroline Brouwer about being a physio for Wimbledon during the time of the 1988 FA Cup Final, I think it's Amy Cranston who gets an indirect mention for a match between AFC Wimbledon and Oxford United, where she came on the pitch, and she was treated as just a physio by the fans, no jeers etc.

Sadly it seems that a few of our fans still have an issue with female assistant referees.
I didn't notice female officials getting abuse this season though it's unlikely that no idiots tried it on.

I've been really impressed by the way that Amy and other female physios are just accepted without sexist comments. That really wouldn't have been the case twenty plus years ago.

I didn't notice female officials getting abuse this season though it's unlikely that no idiots tried it on.

I've been really impressed by the way that Amy and other female physios are just accepted without sexist comments. That really wouldn't have been the case twenty plus years ago.
Except for a few of our lovely fans who decided to sing sexist chants towards the Barnsley physio at their place.

Every club has a few idiots, often fueled by a couple of beers and the idea that what they are saying is actually funny! Fortunately, I've seen more and more fans actively challenging inappropriate comments and we as a fans group are pretty good at policing ourselves, even if there's still more work to be done to kill off the "get your tits out for the lads" culture once and for all.

I've heard a few "get back in the kitchen" shouts towards a female referee assistant.
Though I'm not sure if they were a genuine sexist shout, or a post-modern "let's pretend to be stereotypical1980s or 1990s lad era sexist football fans".
Also wondering whether there is a different level of respect?
A physio is doing a job for whichever team, whereas as a referees' assistant is making decisions that affect the outcome of the game for both sides, so more likely to get heckled.

I've heard a few "get back in the kitchen" shouts towards a female referee assistant.
Though I'm not sure if they were a genuine sexist shout, or a post-modern "let's pretend to be stereotypical1980s or 1990s lad era sexist football fans".
Also wondering whether there is a different level of respect?
A physio is doing a job for whichever team, whereas as a referees' assistant is making decisions that affect the outcome of the game for both sides, so more likely to get heckled.
You do still hear occasional comments like that but it's done more out of jest than genuine. Heckling is part and parcel of football. Sort of thing that'll probably always exist in football in all aspects (not just jokes about women).

I have to be honest when we played Sheffield Wednesday at home the female ref want having the best of games and when Findlay got dragged to the ground and wage was practically stood by the incident but she never saw anything and we were all hollering for a penalty I did say “ stupid bitch “ it wasn’t meant in a sexist way as it just came out, and realised immediately that I was wrong so apologised to Mrs Bazzer and the other 3 ladies by me one of whom said that’s ok but she was at that moment.

I have to be honest when we played Sheffield Wednesday at home the female ref want having the best of games and when Findlay got dragged to the ground and wage was practically stood by the incident but she never saw anything and we were all hollering for a penalty I did say “ stupid bitch “ it wasn’t meant in a sexist way as it just came out, and realised immediately that I was wrong so apologised to Mrs Bazzer and the other 3 ladies by me one of whom said that’s ok but she was at that moment.
Is saying what you said really that different to calling a male ref/assistant a c*nt or a fat b*stard or any of the other things they get called every game? I wouldn't say so. True equality would surely mean we shout at them equally!!

Is saying what you said really that different to calling a male ref/assistant a c*nt or a fat b*stard or any of the other things they get called every game? I wouldn't say so. True equality would surely mean we shout at them equally!!
It was wrong of me to label the ref what o called her as other comments made that day which were worse came in for a backlash.

It was wrong of me to label the ref what o called her as other comments made that day which were worse came in for a backlash.
Is it 'wrong' though? Unless we're denouncing all heckling towards officials and players as 'wrong' then what you did is no different to what we do to male officials all the time!

Is it 'wrong' though? Unless we're denouncing all heckling towards officials and players as 'wrong' then what you did is no different to what we do to male officials all the time!
Of the 3 insults you quoted, two of them are specifically female (b**** and c***) and the other is gender neutral. Using terms that are very much female as insults/ derogatory /abuse is what makes it sexist.
If you changed those words for racist or homophobic terms relating to particular groups would you feel that's ok?

Of the 3 insults you quoted, two of them are specifically female (b**** and c***) and the other is gender neutral. Using terms that are very much female as insults/ derogatory /abuse is what makes it sexist.
If you changed those words for racist or homophobic terms relating to particular groups would you feel that's ok?
Should we ban calling people dic*s, dic*heads etc too then?

Should we ban calling people dic*s, dic*heads etc too then?
Interesting that, because you rarely hear women being insulted with male terms, prick, dickhead etc, to suggest that men are lesser beings but on the other hand a man could be called a pussy, an insult that intimates he is acting like a woman. Possibly.
I‘m going to stick to the gender neutral ‘For f**k sake ref’, far safer.

Interesting that, because you rarely hear women being insulted with male terms, prick, dickhead etc, to suggest that men are lesser beings but on the other hand a man could be called a pussy, an insult that intimates he is acting like a woman. Possibly.
I‘m going to stick to the gender neutral ‘For f**k sake ref’, far safer.

A*****e would also cover your gender neutral criteria. :)

Interesting that, because you rarely hear women being insulted with male terms, prick, dickhead etc, to suggest that men are lesser beings but on the other hand a man could be called a pussy, an insult that intimates he is acting like a woman.
As an aside, anyone using the word ‘pussy’ to indicate weakness or imply that somebody is less than optimal in terms of strength or fortitude has never made sense to me. There is nothing more terrifying in its resilience and indestructibility than a vagina.

As an aside, anyone using the word ‘pussy’ to indicate weakness or imply that somebody is less than optimal in terms of strength or fortitude has never made sense to me. There is nothing more terrifying in its resilience and indestructibility than a vagina.
A formidable presence on one hand, I’d like to say something about the other hand but I fear a ban..

I think calling a woman a "stupid b*tch" is misogynistic, and it looks like Bazzer regretted using it too.

• React
Reactions: m
I think it is good that @bazzer9461 has not only admitted what he did but also accepts that it was wrong.
Football is emotive and we say things at the spur of the moment without thinking, like if you get cut up when driving by someone, I have been known to say ‘stupid bitch’ if it was a female or ‘dickhead’ if it was a man.

I’d say that coming out with an outburst like that is very different to a group of people singing ‘get your tits out for the lads’.

Ed Gamble described it as 'the biological equivalent of the Timberland boot'

Back
Top Bottom