National News Greensill

Nope and the colour of the rosette doesn't matter hence the well-used term 'Tony's cronies'.
Blair has a hell of a lot to answer for. Before him there at least seemed to be a basic understanding that if you got caught with your trousers down then you pulled them up and left your resignation on the desk. He and his wingman Campbell changed that and introduced the notion that you can just lie, deny and double down, and carry on as you please. Iraq was the game changer. After that they pretty much gave everybody the ultimate get out of jail free card. No matter what a government does after that they’ll always be able to say, “Come on, it’s hardly Iraq is it?”

Someone actually put it to Campbell on Question Time (I think) a few years back that he was largely to blame for much of what he was kicking off about at the time. The anger towards politicians, the rise of fake news which ultimately led to situations like Brexit and so on, and he was typically arrogant and dismissive. Which sort of proved their point. Again: lie, deny, double down. Throw in a shrug and a smirk if you’re really up for it.

That said, it doesn’t excuse the toe rags we’ve had to put up with for the last decade, and in particular the last several. I’m extremely curious, though, as to why they’re seemingly coated in Teflon.

Blair has a hell of a lot to answer for. Before him there at least seemed to be a basic understanding that if you got caught with your trousers down then you pulled them up and left your resignation on the desk. He and his wingman Campbell changed that and introduced the notion that you can just lie, deny and double down, and carry on as you please. Iraq was the game changer. After that they pretty much gave everybody the ultimate get out of jail free card. No matter what a government does after that they’ll always be able to say, “Come on, it’s hardly Iraq is it?”

Someone actually put it to Campbell on Question Time (I think) a few years back that he was largely to blame for much of what he was kicking off about at the time. The anger towards politicians, the rise of fake news which ultimately led to situations like Brexit and so on, and he was typically arrogant and dismissive. Which sort of proved their point. Again: lie, deny, double down. Throw in a shrug and a smirk if you’re really up for it.

That said, it doesn’t excuse the toe rags we’ve had to put up with for the last decade, and in particular the last several. I’m extremely curious, though, as to why they’re seemingly coated in Teflon.
Because they own virtually all of the popular media and are able to massage the message as they see fit perhaps :unsure:

That again has been going on for decades, but has only got worse (The Sun winning it for Thatcher and then winning it for Blair etc, etc etc ad infinitum).

• React
Reactions: QR
Because they own virtually all of the popular media and are able to massage the message as they see fit perhaps :unsure:

That again has been going on for decades, but has only got worse (The Sun winning it for Thatcher and then winning it for Blair etc, etc etc ad infinitum).
I don’t remember The Sun failing to back the winner of any vote since I’ve been alive. When was the last time they backed someone in a general election, or an outcome in a referendum, and their horse lost? Either they’re very good gamblers or they’re the ones crowning the winner. I wouldn’t like to say which.

Still. Defund the BBC. Ban Twitter. I want my news and information exclusively owned and provided by a handful of rich people who can fit around a dinner table. Like any sane, rational person would.

I don’t remember The Sun failing to back the winner of any vote since I’ve been alive. When was the last time they backed someone in a general election, or an outcome in a referendum, and their horse lost? Either they’re very good gamblers or they’re the ones crowning the winner. I wouldn’t like to say which.

Still. Defund the BBC. Ban Twitter. I want my news and information exclusively owned and provided by a handful of rich people who can fit around a dinner table. Like any sane, rational person would.
Last years Murdoch documentary on the BBC brought home (as if we didn't know) how much would be Prime Ministers have courted him - footage of Blair flying to a News International conference in Australia, meetings in Downing Street with Blair and then Cameron (as well as lots of 'unofficial' meetings).

The Sun still undoubtedly wields influence but at the present time The Times is probably calling out the government more than any publication or organisation, Their Insight team was quick to to pick up on the poor management reaction ri##to the Covid pandemic (vaccinations aside), leading the case to expose Cameron's 'lobbying' and wondering how Johnson seems to be getting away scot-free as regards Jennifer Arcuri. Add the lack of oversight on government procurement in the past 14 months and this is a singularly corrupt government.

Sounds a bit like Catholicism :ROFLMAO:

At least the Moggster would be happy!

Eric 'f*****g' Pickles! This is beyond comedy.

I was warning of scandal for some time- Pickles suggests​

Pickles says that he has been warning of a scandal for some time “but this is not where I expected it to come from”.

The Acoba chair says there are “not loopholes” but areas that are not covered by the body across government, which should “fall within an umbrella of some kind”.

John McDonnell, the former shadow chancellor under Jeremy Corbyn, asks who has raised these matters with him, to which Pickles replies “the proper channels”.

Pickles says that “not for one moment did I anticipate anything like Greensill”, but admits he had been “considerably worried about what has been going on below Acoba level” for some time.

This is a good article that shows how the (checks notes) 'efficient' private sector tries to leach off the (checks notes again) 'inefficient' public sector's purse.

Nope and the colour of the rosette doesn't matter hence the well-used term 'Tony's cronies'.

If you were sane and rational you would not be inviting rich people to your dinner table. We are in the midst of a pandemic, or have you not heard?

• React
Reactions: m
If you were sane and rational you would not be inviting rich people to your dinner table. We are in the midst of a pandemic, or have you not heard?
If it's outside and there are only 6 of you....is that OK :unsure:

#askingforamogul

Worth a thread of it`s own as it`s mostly former folk using their "influence".

Boris appears to be distancing himself....

Sunak seems ahead of the game releasing contacts from Cameron.

Is this really unusual or just how politics, irrespective of rosette colour, "works" ?
Sadly, I think to many people, the colour of the rosette does matter.
It’s probably fair to say that some of the people who seem fairly relaxed about this would be less so if the MPs concerned were Diane Abbot and Sadiq Khan

It’s probably fair to say that some of the people who seem fairly relaxed about this would be less so if the MPs concerned were Diane Abbot and Sadiq Khan
I’m not sure it’s primarily the colour of the rosette that wrangles people about these two.

Didn`t Blair give F1 an exemption from the tobacco advertising ban after little Bernie applied "influence"?
Two Labour peers got suspended for "cash for amending a bill"?
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-scandals-have-there-been-in-british-politics

Didn`t Blair give F1 an exemption from the tobacco advertising ban after little Bernie applied "influence"?
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-scandals-have-there-been-in-british-politics
Oh I totally agree. But look at the difference in the way the media went after those individuals, and then by proxy, public opinion.
Some crimes are ok for some but not for others? That can’t be right!

Yes there was some corruption under Blair and no doubt previous Labour administrations. But we’re not talking about that now, are we?

In general Tory corruption will be more widespread because let’s face it Tories are at home in the places where money lives. And it’s not as if there’s a lot of ideology going on, it’s all about enriching and protecting those who are already prosperous.

Yes there was some corruption under Blair and no doubt previous Labour administrations. But we’re not talking about that now, are we?

In general Tory corruption will be more widespread because let’s face it Tories are at home in the places where money lives. And it’s not as if there’s a lot of ideology going on, it’s all about enriching and protecting those who are already prosperous.
There is plenty of it going on. Moreso for the Tories now because they've been making real decisions and investments for the past 11 years.

People like Mayor Joe Anderson in Liverpool show that this is a power problem and not necessarily a party one.

This isn't a contest to see who worse, the current government or Crony Blair, it's about what's right and wrong, moral, immoral etc.

I didn't expect you to get it.

Neither do you.
Colour of rosette is immaterial.
They. All. Do. It.

Back
Top Bottom