FA Cup good luck Yellow Roses

15 mins to play, nothing to lose ...go at 'em from the off yellow roses

Sarge, does anyone other than you actually call them Yellow Roses? [emoji23]

FT AET 1-2

a decent performance against a W Championship side.... who took 120 mins to win by just a 1 goal margin

well done yellow roses

Can those in the know add a little detail about their chances of achieving the step up:

They were a bit stitched up when the leagues restructured a few years back, so it would be great to see them back in tier two

Can those in the know add a little detail about their chances of achieving the step up:

They were a bit stitched up when the leagues restructured a few years back, so it would be great to see them back in tier two
To my knowledge, the reasons behind OUFCW dropping during the restructures were purely financial. It was a big misstep from the league in how they restructured, and meant teams who'd been in the top tiers had to leave despite not getting relegated. the licensing system meant it became a case that OUFCW didn't have the financial backing that teams like West Ham and Spurs in step 3 could give their women's sides. At the time it was seen as a big commercial opportunity for the prem clubs, which is how West Ham bought themselves into the top division from near the bottom of step 3 and Man U, who'd never had a women's team before, were able to get into the championship. It wasn't some sudden love for the women's game, it was purely the big boys pretending to care now that there was a growth in the game and hoping to take some of the reward that other clubs had helped build.

Unless things have changed since the initial setup, clubs have to pay their players, something that doesn't often happen below step 2, and have a working youth setup that was more than just a couple of amateur teams in the local leagues. As well as this they have to have 8 hours a week contact plus matches, which I believe we did have before Covid. The stadium also has to hit certain standards, although I believe CPF would just about pass these for step 2. There's also average attendances that they require a minimum for to get a licence, but obviously there's been no fans so perhaps we're taking advantage of a less stringent requirement on this aspect.

The initial decision came when Tiger had just taken over I believe, or perhaps just before, and as much as DE had funded the women's side, he hadn't put in the infrastructure to pass the criteria at the time and Tiger having only just arrived wasn't willing to right away throw money into the women's side, which I think is fair enough. Whether we are paying our players and have the right level of infrastructure now I'm not 100% sure, but I'd suggest if we've applied we've at least got the intention there to be at the level. The brief public outline given from the press release at the time suggests we should be more than ok, but I'm not sure what has been added since, or what has carried over from the WSL2 licencing:
"Tier 2 clubs will be subject to commitments including a minimum of eight hours weekly contact time (plus matches), with semi-professional players. Key minimum requirements are being maintained from the previous FA WSL 2 club licence with the addition of full-time general managers and separate marketing officers."

My knowledge comes from a few years working at a step 3 club, but I left in 2019 so there may have been changes since then, hopefully someone can correct me if so!

Back
Top Bottom