FA Cup good luck Yellow Roses

Sarge

God like member
in todays away WFA Cup gate with Cardiff City Ladies.... in between lockdowns I watched OUWFC convincingly beat CCLFC at Court Place Farm 4-1 , in a league match ( before the powers that be prematurely ended their league season) .... game kicks off in just over an hour (2pm) ... good luck to the Yellow Roses

Last edited:
Worked for Cardiff City Ladies as their media guy for several years, wonderful club who've been through the ringer a bit with the FA(s) treating them very poorly over the years. Neither the Welsh or English FA wanted to claim responsibility for them so they tended to get shafted by both in terms of league funding and, until recently, were not allowed into the second step of Women's football even if they earned their place there. Most don't seem to realise they're an independent club rather than one linked with the men's team and to be where they are, consistently challenging near the top of step 3, is a fantastic achievement. The staff and players are all also volunteers (as was I) and no one at the club gets paid from the backroom team, to the coaches and the players; it's all for love of the sport. The people running the day to day activities were also founders of the club nearly 40 years ago and they're all brilliant people. Always a tricky one for me when OUFCW and CCLFC came up against each other, as my OUFC allegiance is extremely strong, but my love for CCLFC as a club and all the wonderful people behind the club is also very strong. I went into this one not supporting either and hoping it would be a decent game over anything. I'll back OUFCW all the way now they have gone through!

Worked for Cardiff City Ladies as their media guy for several years, wonderful club who've been through the ringer a bit with the FA(s) treating them very poorly over the years. Neither the Welsh or English FA wanted to claim responsibility for them so they tended to get shafted by both in terms of league funding and, until recently, were not allowed into the second step of Women's football even if they earned their place there. Most don't seem to realise they're an independent club rather than one linked with the men's team and to be where they are, consistently challenging near the top of step 3, is a fantastic achievement. The staff and players are all also volunteers (as was I) and no one at the club gets paid from the backroom team, to the coaches and the players; it's all for love of the sport. The people running the day to day activities were also founders of the club nearly 40 years ago and they're all brilliant people. Always a tricky one for me when OUFCW and CCLFC came up against each other, as my OUFC allegiance is extremely strong, but my love for CCLFC as a club and all the wonderful people behind the club is also very strong. I went into this one not supporting either and hoping it would be a decent game over anything. I'll back OUFCW all the way now they have gone through!
Have to agree with you on Cardiff, very good side and even more so given it's all voluntary. The official Cardiff City Ladies team plays in the Welsh league with Swansea i believe.
The rules were changed last season with regards to Cardiff being able to be promoted to the top two divisions so things have changed in their favour.

Have to agree with you on Cardiff, very good side and even more so given it's all voluntary. The official Cardiff City Ladies team plays in the Welsh league with Swansea i believe.
The rules were changed last season with regards to Cardiff being able to be promoted to the top two divisions so things have changed in their favour.
Yep, you're right about the "official" side, although they're known as Cardiff City Women I believe. I left the season before the rule changed, but I'm thrilled all the same for the club, they really deserve any success that comes to them. Just a shame the FA make it so bloody difficult to get promotion! It's a real detriment to the women's game.

Worth mentioning there's the possibility of this Sundays game being streamed live, hopefully that will happen as it's a great opportunity for fans to see the game but also attract new fans.

Was their league season cancelled again?

Also, if we did win the division, do we have all of the criteria in place to play in the championship ground capacity etc)?

Was their league season cancelled again?

Also, if we did win the division, do we have all of the criteria in place to play in the championship ground capacity etc)?
Yeah, cancelled again. In terms of the criteria... Things may have changed since I worked in the women's game, but I remember when Spurs went up from the same league (before the league rebranding admittedly) they had to submit evidence of their average attendance and their ground capacity. I would wager that CPF should be enough given there weren't concerns about the stadium that CCLFC play in when I worked for them (which was also used for a few Wales internationals), although I've not been to CPF myself to do a proper comparison. There were other criteria too such as having a youth setup that feeds into the first team but the full list escapes my memory and a quick google didn't give me any joy.

The other issue is even if you win your league, you're still not promoted. Only one team gets relegated from the Championship, and the winners of the North and South divisions have to play a playoff to get promoted. I remember Blackburn winning the Northern league a few years in a row but losing the playoff every time so they ended up stuck in the same league despite being Champions. The politics at the top of the game to keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small are screwing the women's game massively.

Pompey Women kicked out the womens fa cup , after fielding an unregistered player ...

Yeah, cancelled again. In terms of the criteria... Things may have changed since I worked in the women's game, but I remember when Spurs went up from the same league (before the league rebranding admittedly) they had to submit evidence of their average attendance and their ground capacity. I would wager that CPF should be enough given there weren't concerns about the stadium that CCLFC play in when I worked for them (which was also used for a few Wales internationals), although I've not been to CPF myself to do a proper comparison. There were other criteria too such as having a youth setup that feeds into the first team but the full list escapes my memory and a quick google didn't give me any joy.

The other issue is even if you win your league, you're still not promoted. Only one team gets relegated from the Championship, and the winners of the North and South divisions have to play a playoff to get promoted. I remember Blackburn winning the Northern league a few years in a row but losing the playoff every time so they ended up stuck in the same league despite being Champions. The politics at the top of the game to keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small are screwing the women's game massively.

That's no longer true - both Southern and Northern Premier winners* go up, as was the case when Coventry United and Blackburn went up a few seasons ago.

CPF meets the criteria - we played there for a season in WSL 2 prior to the restructuring.

*I say "winners" but as you know, winning the league is basically a prerequisite to the real test: ticking the FA’s boxes.

I hate the licence system; a system that favours money over sporting merit. 👎

Last edited:
Pompey Women kicked out the womens fa cup , after fielding an unregistered player ...

A former Southampton player, who had already played for Saints in the competition, no less! 👀

That's no longer true - both Southern and Northern Premier winners* go up, as was the case when Coventry United and Blackburn went up a few seasons ago.

CPF meets the criteria - we played there for a season in WSL 2 prior to the restructuring.

*I say "winners" but as you know, winning the league is basically a prerequisite to the real test: ticking the FA’s boxes.

I hate the licence system; a system that favours money over sporting merit. 👎
Thanks for the info! Been a few years since I left CCLFC and although I've kept a fond eye on results etc I haven't on the wider structure. I think the ridiculousness of the licence system was shown greatly when after the league restructure, West Ham went from a terrible season in the third tier finishing bottom half with 9 wins 11 losses, including 4-0 and 3-0 losses to Cardiff, straight to the WSL because they could afford it; the same restructure that dropped OUFCW into the third tier.

Back
Top Bottom