Fan's View Fan's view 23/24 - No.5 - Barnsley away

Excellent read as always. I am loving the way the youth are having a big impact now. Negru TG GoD mills are bringing the best out of our more experienced players. Suddenly we have pace up front which really helps our creative players to create! Its a world away from last seasons start.

Really enjoyable read, thanks Paul. Especially enjoyed the paragraph about the training ground drills etc. It’s an exciting time for the club. And yes, WE NEED THAT TRIANGLE!

With regard to your comment re their unmarked player from Barnsley’s corner. I was in Kidlington Sainsbury’s yesterday afternoon when Chris Hogg walked past me with his ear glued to his phone when I heard “We will be doing defending set pieces” in a tone that made me think he’s someone who knows what he wants and not to be argued with. Quite reassuring on both counts.

With regard to your comment re their unmarked player from Barnsley’s corner. I was in Kidlington Sainsbury’s yesterday afternoon when Chris Hogg walked past me with his ear glued to his phone when I heard “We will be doing defending set pieces” in a tone that made me think he’s someone who knows what he wants and not to be argued with. Quite reassuring on both counts.
Woah, you can't be starting a story like that and leaving out the important details. What was in his basket? Any update on his biscuit preferences?

Always a good read - thanks Paul.

"I’ve now concluded there’s more to Liam Manning than that. When we’ve got the ball, yes try and keep it. Which we did. And I have to say, like at Derby, there was an intent to get it forward and attack at pace when the opportunity arose. Not sideways and backwards stuff for the sake of it."

I think that has been the difference the last two times. I felt the first two league games, especially Cambridge, we were too sideways and backwards (and Carlisle largely too), whereas, against Derby and Barnsley, we mixed it up far more, sometimes the diagonal (mainly left to right), and other times direct as you suggest. Subsequently, we were not as predictable as in the first two league games and it was consequently two great performances. Still need three new players to come in I feel, but nice to feel super positive regardless.

Always a good read - thanks Paul.

"I’ve now concluded there’s more to Liam Manning than that. When we’ve got the ball, yes try and keep it. Which we did. And I have to say, like at Derby, there was an intent to get it forward and attack at pace when the opportunity arose. Not sideways and backwards stuff for the sake of it."

I think that has been the difference the last two times. I felt the first two league games, especially Cambridge, we were too sideways and backwards (and Carlisle largely too), whereas, against Derby and Barnsley, we mixed it up far more, sometimes the diagonal (mainly left to right), and other times direct as you suggest. Subsequently, we were not as predictable as in the first two league games and it was consequently two great performances. Still need three new players to come in I feel, but nice to feel super positive regardless.
Totally agree @ChamonixOx, my memory of Cambridge is exactly as you said, just passing it around the back four. I think we really benefit from playing teams who don't sit as deep as Cambridge, the way to scare teams is with movement and testing, forward passes. Especially when Harris has the pace to get in behind (granted Cambridge made this very difficult for us)

Totally agree @ChamonixOx, my memory of Cambridge is exactly as you said, just passing it around the back four. I think we really benefit from playing teams who don't sit as deep as Cambridge, the way to scare teams is with movement and testing, forward passes. Especially when Harris has the pace to get in behind (granted Cambridge made this very difficult for us)
That with the current squad might be the challenge, finding a way to play through less committed (attacking) teams. Fingers crossed the next few days recruitment will help with this!

Back
Top Bottom